Stuff you had as kid that your kids think is cool

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Rocket Hockey.... I've had this since I was 9 yrs old. He we are 40 years later and my 8 and almost 6 yr old kids think it's the neatest game. My little girls winds it up and releases the puck while my 8 yr old and I talk trash about beating each other....
Same with my old Chopper Strike board game, even with all the broken jeep guns and rotor blades....

20160820_192440.jpg

image.jpeg

Multi pistol 09 of course! Though I don't have any kids. This was my favorite toy when I was in 3rd grade! Back when Secret Agent Man was on TV.

My kids think my '73 Cuda is the coolest thing on 4 wheels and envy what we could do with such machines and how we did them. While not exactly a toy, it is just that of which I call it.

My son and I have played around a bit with stompers/rough riders.
He helped me build the model a few years back.

DSCN0702.JPG

Strobe light and mirror ball.........ya, that dates when I grew up. Disco wasn't my creation, I was just a victim of the times!

My older son never got excited about cars but he did share my interest in board games. We played the old Milton Bradley war games over & over.

$_1.JPG
american-heritage-game-of-the-civil-war-mb.jpg
d4ac761f6b3105e83e849baffe9730b9.jpg
Game-TankBattle1975.jpg
history1.jpg
original-game4701.jpg
pic772645_md.jpg
TorpedoRun1986.jpg
american-heritage-broadside-1962-milton-bradley-.jpg
hit-the-beach-milton-bradley-board-game-american-.jpg

Stratego is the only one I recognize.
We had a lot of fun with shoots and ladders, sorry etc. when they were very small. Then came othello and checkers and finally chess.

Stratego is the only one I recognize.
We had a lot of fun with shoots and ladders, sorry etc. when they were very small. Then came othello and checkers and finally chess.

The general theme of each of those games was battle strategy combined with 3 dimensional playing pieces that made it easy for kids to visualize the action.

In CHOPPER STRIKE the board is 3 dimensional and the helicopters are able to fly above the jeeps.

2012-07-18_17-14-30_898.jpg

CIVIL WAR and BATTLE-CRY are essentially the same game that was re-titled. There are calvary, cannons, and infantry troops in blue and grey that you maneuver to form lines for defense and offense attacks.
acafcc6b5b318d643aeb36d24c12cf59.jpg

TANK BATTLE uses little plastic tanks, ammo depots, and headquarters and is sort of like a WWII version of chess.
Game-TankBattle1975.jpg

DOGFIGHT uses English and German biplanes that engage in aerial battles. The planes in flight are put on stands while the grounded planes wait their opportunity to be used after others are shot down. You have to return to your hangars to refresh the cards that you use up in battle and you are awarded extra cards when you become an ace.

pic101022_md.jpg

CARRIER STRIKE has aircraft carriers that can be moved across the board as the planes that you launch from their decks attempting to torpedo bomb the opponent's ships.
pic772645_md.jpg

TORPEDO RUN has a huge board and you move the ships around trying to avoid 'torpedo discs' that are actually shot out from the submarines. The ships fly apart (explode) if struck because the assembled parts are held together with spring loaded rubber bands.
s-l640.jpg

In BROADSIDE the players try to maneuver their plastic ships into positions where they can fire a broadside at the enemy. As damage occurs the ships lose masts until they are sunk.
$_35.JPG

HIT THE BEACH is a competition to see which player can reach the center of the board first. Before you can establish a beachhead you have to get the correct die rolls to get air & naval support first.
hit-the-beach-1965-american-heritage-world-.jpg

We also had PT BOAT 109. It was the precursor to the BATTLESHIP game that was made years later. It was named after the PT-Boat that JFK had commanded in WWII.
il_340x270.703966265_kgir.jpg

One game I really enjoyed playing with my older brother was FORMULA 1. My boys never seemed to care for it much but it's still a great game.
236a60cb8b5a9673ae1f660135376af7.jpg

Hotwheels. I played with hotwheels even into my teens, building tracks, etc. Now I have an excuse again because my kids love to play with them. Anything from role play all the way to building huge tracks across multiple rooms in the house.

My mini bike would probably qualify here, the kids both loved to ride it when they were little! I used to take Nella around the block every day when she was small enough to hold on to and still ride safely together! Ian has also ridden it many times, and has now graduated up to his own dirtbike!! I'd say Old Blue has done his job!!!

image.jpg

I have that formula 1 game in almost mint condition.

IIRC involved, esp for me as a 7 year old.

Not familliar with most of those others except chopper strike.

We did Panzer Leader and Panzer General with 1/72 equipment.

Basically chess but with unlimited six way movement (dependent on piece) and dozens of different pieces with multiple attributes......and range.

Firearms and tools. Of course my 'boy' is now in his 40s. Doesn't care much for our cars though.
LOL
Yote

My grandsons marvel at how the windows go up and down on the Swinger by turning a crank. Really cool.

I busted out an Atari VCS (2600) once. Try finding a TV that still has VHF antenna screws on the back! Kids were rolling when they saw pac-man eating dots vertically while still facing horizontally, and were in aw when I plugged in Football..WTH is that? They asked....And of course the old plastic fantastic skateboards that made a comeback as "penny" boards.

"Lawn Darts" - Kids found the box out in our shed. Loved them as a kid. I completely forgot I still had the set. Of course, we had play! There was some serious competition, the girls vs my wife and I. Us Old Timers kicked their tails! And no one was impaled LOL.

A Fox go kart with a McCullough engine manufactured in Janesville Wi in the early 60's

-
Back