Suddenly sad 318

-

mnmopar

Reaction score
Hi all,

the 318 in my 64 has always been a strong easy runner. New eddy 650 carb. Has been running great (maybe a little lean) for months. On the way to a show last weekend just died. Would only start if I held the long skinny pedal all the way down then it would sputter into life but still have trouble idling. I'm thinking fuel filter but it's new with the carb or fuel pump?

Just looking for ideas will start troubleshooting this weekend.

thanks in advance!

Probably ignition/spark related. What distributor are you using? And there's always a possible failing coil if it happened when hot?

IF fuel related, clogged pick up, fuel filter, bad pump, clogged carb.

IF ignition related, try a timing light. See if the distributor is loose. You'd be surprised.

while trying to start...look down the carb and see if gas is drowning the engine,,,,,

while trying to start...look down the carb and see if gas is drowning the engine,,,,,
i'm guessing you've never seen one backfire through the carb while someone was doing that :eek:ops:

pull the coil wire and do it

i'm guessing you've never seen one backfire through the carb while someone was doing that :eek:ops:

pull the coil wire and do it

I've gotten the facefull of fire on more than one occasion, try a makeup mirror to look down the bores if you value your eyebrows.

sudden out-of-nowhere starting and running trouble smacks of carburetion trouble to me. Fortunately with the edelbrock you can service the floats, needles and seats and everything else in the carb without removing it from the motor, and without spilling a drop of fuel.:blob:

Thanks everyone.

Determined to spend the weekend troubleshooting getting shocked as I try to see if I'm getting a spark, Inhaling fumes seconds prior to having my eyebrows removed, dropping sockets that roll to the middle of the underside or worse yet, don't land anywhere.

I checked all connections just to make sure of the simple stuff; everything seemed ok. Smelled plenty of gas. Turned the key and she popped right off. Which to me is worse than not starting because now I don't know.

I had been dinging around under the dash installing a cool new radio in the glove box (cool because I like the look of my stocker, hate having to open the glove box to change stations so I got a marine radio and cd player with a ipod/zune/phone input and this is the best part a wired fully funtional remote that I ran under the carpet to between the seats. it;;s small and unitrusive and I never have to open the glovebox again!). I'm wondering if I could have a driect short that I accidently fixed somehow.

Or maybe it was just something in the fuel. I took it our for an hour and it ran fine. I felt like a nascar driver because I just did laps not wnating to get to far from home.

But it ran fine. Started a little hard (foot hard on the gas pedal) but it started and ran fine. Now what?

Thanks!

-
Back