Summit Carbs

-
Personally I don't know of anyone that's ever ran one of them, but for what it's worth Horsepower used one on one of the motors they build 8 or 10 months ago, they seemed to like it, and supposedly it made simillar power to a holley of the same size. So, no telling hopefully someone else has a better answer

Personally I think your 408 is gonna want more than a 750v.s,I run an AED850dp on my 408(410)and it loves it.I noticed that Summit now carry,s the AED carbs.They,re modified Holley,s and will really wake up your 408.IMO

The new Summit carbs look to be a re-issue of the Holley 4010, which was based on the Motorcraft pattern but used Holley jets, PVs, choke, secondary diaphragms etc... I run a spreadbore version (4011) on my truck and it's a pretty decent carb, too bad it isn't made of zinc, it heatsoaks badly.

What the Cheif said is also my take on them. I also ran a 4011 spreadbore 650 unit once. While it did run OK, I felt it could have been better myself. I didn't exp. any heat soak, it didn't impress me to much and thus left the car promtly. I favored the AVS much more myself.

The carb series was short lived by Holley and they stopped making it. I feel that it was ill-marketed to start with. The operation and performance of the carb was good. But as far as performance is concerned, step up. It would be worth the wait to do so.

I agree with Pettybludart especially if your going to do any racing with it strokers love fuel i'd go with atleast an 850 i'm thinking of stepping up to a 950 next season with and if i redo my 416..

Haven't used one but I look at it like this, there's a reason Holley put an end to that design. And in my personal experience with a performance build the carburetor is no place to cheap out, when you do it will haunt you forever. Just my .02

Summit sells rebuilt thermoquads as well. Probably a not bad carb that will need lots of fine tuning. It's 800cfm and under $300 if your looking for budget cfm.

Thanks at all for the Information, it seems that a holley is the way to go for me. I´m by far no carb expert, is the street avenger preferable for a mild build or is this one the better choice:pART #: 0-3310S

Goal is good street manners and easy tuning without a pro. maybe someone can tell me the pros and cons - thanks.

regards Michael

Your 408 should easily be making over 425hp,so a double pumper would be best.My AED850HO was bolted on and have made 60 passes without touching it yet.The 750 model should do the trick for ya,if you like..set it and forget it.Good luck.

After spending some large cash for a 408,why cheap out on one of the most important parts?

I'd bet, end of the funds....it happens.

yes and no. I´m on a limited budget, everytime searching for "most bang for the buck". So i thought "why buy a 500+ dollar carb if a 300 dollar unit will do the job?"

Ok, maybe i have to think it over. As i told before, i´m absolutely no carb guy, don´t know the ins and outs of the different versions. That´s why i´m here, to learn from the experienced guys.

regards

Michael

Well, I see your point and while any carb will work on top, it's actually a mater of how well what carb will work on top. Some Holleys are better than others and yepper, the better ones cost more.

For many many years, I just worked with what I had. OE Carters. You learn to make'em work. When the funds become available to me, in the future, I'm going to be looking foward to a nice 4 corner idle HP series Holley for my ride. Until then, it's what ever I can scrounge up or make do with.

Try going to a swap meet or buying a used carb here in the for sale ads.You could learn quite a bit by buying a carb tuning book also. Being on a budget requires you to do the tuning ,rebuilding etc. I know,you said your not a carb guy,but heres your opportunity to become one! Thier really not that hard.

Hi Guys,

you are right, maybe it´s best to buy a used one and try to rebuild it with some help. Time to get some more info about these things, only carbs i worked on are tiny 14mm ones from my 2stroke bikes when i was a kid...maybe i get a book - can you recommend one?

@pettybluedart: i´d like to get a carb like the AED750, but these are out of my budget. I´m doing the complete conversion from slant6 and need so much parts - somewhere i have to save some money (unfortunately....). Thanks for your input!

Michael

@Michael, just make a turn to the German-Mopar-Forum and contact lincollnolli, he is the guy you need. This guy, is the one with the most experience and knowlodge about carbs (i´d ever talked to) He also has a large storage of used and modified carbs. i guess he can give you some hints

Let us know how it works out for you.I stand by my recommendation of the thermoquad. Very good 800 cfm or 850 cfm carb,extremely tuneable. Just have to have about 6 of them for spare parts as there are no new parts for them other than rebuild kits.

Hi, just for information: bought a used 750 DP from a fellow member here - will check it and tune it for my engine once it´s complete....We´ll see how i works. Thanks for your input!

Michael

I bought and used a summit carb and intake combo on my 75 Chevy truck and it ran like a beast!!! I pulled it out of the box and put it on, started right up. No issues whatsoever. Plus you cant beat the price. Thats just my 2 cents

-
Back