Taking my car to a shop

-

Yote

Reaction score
Took my car to a shop to have a pinion seal installed and an ignition problem checked. Did this on a recommendation. Had an appointment ( 8 am) for two weeks. Informed shop owner that I did not want car setting outside, assured that it wouldn't. First day they installed seal, called at closing and said they didn't have time to complete. Two days later ( with NOTHING more done) they called and said to come and get the car, explaining that they would call me when they could complete the job. My car now has a new pinion seal, a nice dent in the left side like someone opened a door firmly into it. I am not positive but it appears that some rubber has also been removed from my rear tires. I called to mention the dent ( no one answered the phone there on 5 calls) . I don't believe they will be given the chance to complete any work for me. I don't t normally rant but I am not very happy at the moment.
Yote

it is SO hard to find someone you can totally trust - I'm with ya, I'd be pretty well POed too. There are some great dent removal options out there - is it "just" a dent or is there paint missing too?

Mostly dent, some slight scrape of paint and stripe. Dent is probably slight but it is huge to me .You can view my car in my avatar . I believe the stripe will have to be replaced too which would probably mean buying the complete striping kit.
Yote

Don't know if it will help...but

My daughter opened my brand new truck door into a fire hydrant and it left yellow paint on it...
A Magic Erasure really was magic!!!! The yellow came right off super easy....

Jeff

Hi, I can not see the dent, but I will say I am very perticular with having no dings on my TX9 roadrunner, at a house party recently some body sat on the front Valance, or pushed on it it something, rite were the round Road runner decal goes, I was very up set, fresh paint and all, black car, I called like 6 moble dent repair guys, like dent Doctor, prices ranging from 250 down, cas it is a 1973 roadrunner. Guy came to give me an estimate charged me 80 bucks and you can not even tell it was ever there. call around might save you the cost of the strip kit.

Grrrrr, this stuff really pisses me off.

Last week my wife's new(to us) black Mercedes E350 got in a minor hit and run and had to go to a shop for a new quarter panel. We had the car for only two weeks, and the first thing I did was cut, polish, seal, and wax it to near perfection. At least 4 hours of detailing went into it.

I told the shop "don't wash the car, I don't care if I get it back dusty, I will wash it myself".

Of course, I get it back "clean". Huge, deep scratches in the clear coat where they had been using a broom or brush to wipe it off and random spots on the car where someone took an orbital buffer and went to town leaving swirl patterns.

The shop said they would "fix it" and were apologetic but I rather do it myself and do it right. I don't trust anybody to have an ounce of give a **** when it comes to my property anymore.

I'm terrified to bring anything anywhere these days. I do it all myself, and when the schedule doesn't allow for me to I have a friend that does repairs on the side and is uber-careful on everything. If you own a classic or specialty car, there are only two paths: educate yourself and buy the tools to do it yourself, or associate yourself with a specialty car place that gets well paid for taking special care of those cars.

Took my car to a shop to have a pinion seal installed and an ignition problem checked. Did this on a recommendation. Had an appointment ( 8 am) for two weeks. Informed shop owner that I did not want car setting outside, assured that it wouldn't. First day they installed seal, called at closing and said they didn't have time to complete. Two days later ( with NOTHING more done) they called and said to come and get the car, explaining that they would call me when they could complete the job. My car now has a new pinion seal, a nice dent in the left side like someone opened a door firmly into it. I am not positive but it appears that some rubber has also been removed from my rear tires. I called to mention the dent ( no one answered the phone there on 5 calls) . I don't believe they will be given the chance to complete any work for me. I don't t normally rant but I am not very happy at the moment.
Yote
I feel your pain. Took Bluefish in for an alignment, shop t. old me they were experienced on older cars. Didn't set the front end height and crushed my new wheel bearings with an air impact. Needless to say, I won't be back. Good luck. Larry

-
Back