Tear down SOOOO hard

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I'm finally getting moving on my 68 Barracuda project. I have been sitting on this for at least 5 years, or I have been buying parts for it that long.
Have a guy set to do all the body work. Purchased a rotisserie to put it on to make things easier. I now am in the process of removing anything that doesn't need to be on the car while at the body shop. DAMN I forgot how much work that is! All bright work & electrical items being bagged and tagged. mechanical items that just get in the way, bagged & tagged.
I know in the end it will be worth it but right now I'm a little frazzled! Worrying about breaking needed bolts or connectors or finding out what is really missing and still needed.

Ah, the trials and tribulations of restoring and/or restomodding and old Mopar. :)

now comes the hard part.... staying motivated and on budget. so many of these cars get tore down with the best of intentions. then the builder looses interest or runs outta money or some life altering event happens and then it sits or gets parted and sold off. took me 11 yrs to get mine done.

now comes the hard part.... staying motivated and on budget. so many of these cars get tore down with the best of intentions. then the builder looses interest or runs outta money or some life altering event happens and then it sits or gets parted and sold off. took me 11 yrs to get mine done.

My 78 powerwagon is on year 7...my dart on year 2. Both due to slow, budget building...

Tearing the car down and putting the final parts on are the best parts of the whole build

I hope it doesn't take 7 years as It has already sat for 5 years.
I'm taking a lot of pictures and using a bunch if baggies and masking tape to label everything. I'm actually getting excited as I'm finally moving on it.
I'll probably be contacting Cuda Chick as there are a number of items she can help me on. I just hope nothing happens that messes this up.

Consider yourself lucky. I'm on Year Ten and still in the thick of it.
Use FABO as a motivational tool when you hit a dry spell. Every time I get "busy" with life and slack off being on FABO, things just slide by the wayside.
I try to get on here every day to keep the juices flowing.
Here are some other pitfalls to avoid, as posted by our members:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=37514

I hope it doesn't take 7 years as It has already sat for 5 years.
I'm taking a lot of pictures and using a bunch if baggies and masking tape to label everything. I'm actually getting excited as I'm finally moving on it.
I'll probably be contacting Cuda Chick as there are a number of items she can help me on. I just hope nothing happens that messes this up.

Great! That's the key and when you get discouraged because you will (happens to everyone) just get on here, look through the build threads and maybe just buy something for your car, even if its something really small.. once you get it it really helps with the motivation and also just think of how nice and cool it will be when done. :burnout:

You think the tear down is soooo hard? Wait till you start to put it together with all that nice paint! LOL

Consider yourself lucky. I'm on Year Ten and still in the thick of it.
Use FABO as a motivational tool when you hit a dry spell. Every time I get "busy" with life and slack off being on FABO, things just slide by the wayside.
I try to get on here every day to keep the juices flowing.
Here are some other pitfalls to avoid, as posted by our members:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=37514

Don't know where that thread came from but it definitely will be read! Right now I really don't have a "budget" as this is one I have always wanted. My first car was like this but now I get to build it the way I really wanted my first car to be. Lucky for me my wife doesn't ask questions like "what did that cost" as long as the money comes out of my account and not general funds for the house. I'm actually hoping to have this ready for next years Woodward dream cruise.

I'm going on 19 years and the motor is out for the 4th time.

I've driven this car all of maybe 20 miles, total.

They key is get it done fast so you can drive it, I think that helps keep interest. I've contemplated selling mine more times than I've worked on it.

Nice, look forward to seeing the finished car. Is it going to be a restoration or more a restomod?

Car will look stock but won't be. Originally a 318 automatic car. I plan on a 350-400 hp 360 and a 4/5 speed manual. I like the original color, QQ1, with a light blue interior so that will not change bet the front seats will be from a newer Chrysler that will be reupholstered to look original but will be a bit more comfortable and recline as well. Tires and wheels are sill open.

Exactly! 5 years on mine so far and almost finished!! Driver now!

Don't know where that thread came from but it definitely will be read!
It came from me, ten years ago, wondering why I still hadn't finished my project, and giving myself some cold, hard answers....and asking others for theirs.
The truth hurts, but if it helps others avoid the same pitfalls it's worth spelling it out.

I'm going on 19 years and the motor is out for the 4th time.

I've driven this car all of maybe 20 miles, total.

They key is get it done fast so you can drive it, I think that helps keep interest. I've contemplated selling mine more times than I've worked on it.

That's the pace I'm on. 15 years and 15 miles. Gotta finish the exhaust on my Polara and its on to the Dart. Throw in the 440/727 a different 8&3/4, SS springs and drive the crap out of it, so I can take it apart and fix the quarters, paint it and build a stroker for it. At least I know I'll be building it twice, that won't come as a surprise!

It came from me, ten years ago, wondering why I still hadn't finished my project, and giving myself some cold, hard answers....and asking others for theirs.
The truth hurts, but if it helps others avoid the same pitfalls it's worth spelling it out.

Well thank you as this is the first time I have ever gotten this far into a project. I usually buy one that doesn't need work and modify to my liking. Starting with a clean slate is new and getting advice from those that have been there do that is always helpful.

-
Back