Thermoquad ?s

-
THX A R ... but are you going to ZAP that other registration? ...it was posted under a different email addy.

There ya go, service with a smile. I know how you is. He he he. How R U doin?

There ya go, service with a smile. I know how you is. He he he. How R U doin?

Doin' oh-tay ... U ?

Now on-topic ... I will be working on a TQ for my boat. 1971 Stevens shovel-nose hydroplane. With a VERRRY high $$$ 440 in it ... it ran flat-out 168 mph by the other owner.

With a 383 w/trw pop-ups and some decent heads, 509 cam and a TM6 with a Plastic Fantastic .... just as a "cruiser" for some big lakes up here and getting decent wpg (waves-per-gallon) ...I am hoping for 100mph or so.

anyone here runnign one of DemonSizzlers carbs on a street/strip sort of set up? Or a thermoquad of any build?

I had David build one for me. I never had it on the street but it idled great and the throttle response was incredible. This was a 11:1 340 with a [email protected]" solid cam so it wasnt your stock rebuild.

I'm really considering having him build another for me. I highly recommend his work.

He rebuilt mine for a 360 I built for my Ramcharger. I replaced a 670 Street Avenger and never looked back. It idled real nice and screams at WOT. I love it. I went back and forth with him with all my build info and he "tweaked" a stock rebuild to my specs. Worked like a charm. I bolted it right on and never touched it again.

I like the set it and forget it part, Tired of constantly tweaking my demon and never being quite right, I know many people bash the carb so was always curious if it was lack of info. Kinda think it'd be cool to show people a TQ can run somedays

Adam do you recall what he charged roughly for a non stock build?

I think it was $350 including his core. I sold my Holley/Proform carb and still had change left, LOL

Or a thermoquad of any build?

ON my 62 Belvedere streeter .... 440(very bad HP ring seal), iron exh mans THRU the muffs, 2.76 gear, 7" Hoosier dirt stocker DOT tires, SD intake with a more-or less dead-stock TQ .... 12.69-101.

I have got a diff motor in the car now.... never ran it at the track - but it is TRAIN-lengths faster/quicker than the old motor.

I have had a Demon sizzlered T-Q and it was a dead on great deal that ran just as described about the deal. The work was realllly good. I was very happy with it. I tarded it for Magnum Parts. That owner was thrilled.

In the future, I WILL be calling him up on another build. I can mess with them preety OK like, but when he gets ahold of one for a full doing, there just damn preety and set up to go.

IMO, it's worth the scratch to have done. If a T-Q you want, he's da man to do it. He has al the tools and needs for them.

I'll have to see when time comes jsut need to get around the stigma everyone seems to have about one.

I guess I will chime-in about T.Q.'s that have been 'sitting' unused for a while.

The weak link would be the two x-style o-rings; they will dry up and will cause an over rich idle. Most people are unaware that the o-rings swell when gasoline contacts the o-rings but when the carb is not in use, the o-rings will dry up. And the o-rings will compress over time and flatten out.

So a rebuild would likely be in order to restore proper fuel/air metering. A unique feature of the T.Q. is that you have a separate throttle plate, bowl and top which makes cleaning easier that other 4 bbl carbs.

Thanks for your input Rumble, Dan and Adam! I try to get the carb to 'match' your engine/trans/gearing and car weight the first time! I Adam's case, I did have to re-jet since he had more cam that I first built the carb for.

Anyway, I really like a T.Q. more than most other 4 bbl carbs but I do like the other's too.

I have a new model T.Q. build for max performance and have been doing my R & D and testing this fall/winter. It is well-suited for engine builds like Adam's wild cammed small block or a similar big block.

This new build has enlarged primary bores, contoured upper air horn in front of the primary boosters and 'slabbed' primary and 2ndary throttle shafts for increased air flow. I also improved on the idle quality for cams in the 260-280 deg. duration at .050". The rear leading edge of the top at the 2ndaries was also re-contoured for less obstruction to increase air flow to the 2ndaries.

If anyone has interest in trying a T.Q. for a specific application, I will loan out the carb for a test-run, so just ask, David.

PICT1250.JPG

PICT1251.JPG

Just waiting for my engine to b e built its in the machine shop right now -sadly it had to go .060 over damn pitting- But when I get all the specs I'll have you give me a quote.

I dont have much luck or good experiance with carbs and everyone has an opinion but seems like when I say thermoquad I get this look like I've been sucking on a crack pipe... but at the same time I've seen how quick youve made them run

I dont have much luck or good experiance with carbs and everyone has an opinion but seems like when I say thermoquad I get this look like I've been sucking on a crack pipe... but at the same time I've seen how quick youve made them run

And these same people will look-like and FEEL-like a "pig farmer" when you hammer their high $$ Berri Crab(Holley carb) ...with your lowly TQ !

ANOTHER aspect about a TQ that can be affected by sitting-awhile ... is the accelerator pump - it can dry-up. The trick there is to fill the carb with fuel(through one of the vent tubes) ..and let it sit for a couple of hours(or over-nite) ..and you are good to go.

The potential primary O-ring issue(s) ? .... IMO - is way over drama-tized. As long as they are uNdamaged - they should also be good-to-go.

The ONLY thing that I would change(without a second thought) are the plastic floats ..... toss them out and go with the brass units - commonly available from Napa Auto.

I've been running my TQ for quite some time now. This past summer I knocked off .3 sec off my 1/4 all because someone was talking smack about the TQ (had a 800 cfm Edelbrock AVS) Throttle response is awesome but now it is time for a rebuild and I will go through David to get all that I need when the time comes.

I've been running my TQ for quite some time now. This past summer I knocked off .3 sec off my 1/4 all because someone was talking smack about the TQ (had a 800 cfm Edelbrock AVS) Throttle response is awesome but now it is time for a rebuild and I will go through David to get all that I need when the time comes.

That increase in performance is about 30 more hp. It would cost about $500 in mild head porting and a performance valve job to pick up .3 sec in the 1/4 mi.

I do not know how well-jetted/tuned the 800 Edelbrock was for your 318 but with a smogger T.Q. calibrated too lean, you could have lost .3 over the Edelbrock.

It all is related to spending the time and actually tuning the circuits(jetting ect)for max performance. One advantage the T.Q. has over an after-market 4 bbl is that a T.Q. (oem AVS/AFB) is already 'calibrated' for Mopar engines. Of course, you may still have to tweak the carb in jetting, accelerator pump nozzle volume ect. In some cases, initial timing is not where it should be and this affects main idle speed adjustment. Any 4bbl carb that is dialed-in properly is a whole lot more fun that one that is too large or small in cfm or jetted incorrectly! Learn how to tune your carb and don't be afraid to adjust it. Be sure to try one adjustment at a time and note how much you adjust any part of the carb so you can go back to the previous setting.

Don't forget additional tuning parts, David.

PICT0553.JPG

No problem David. You did me HI quality work done. Excellent performance. I have to pass it on. Other people like there Holleys and AFB/AVS carbs and that fine. I have run them all. I just like the T-Q over the others but also have zero problem in running one of them.

The key everyone seems to miss, at least newbies and rookies, is tune tune tune. Speaking of which, do you have tune kits? Or a box of primary /secondary jets in a kit? Like above?

The key everyone seems to miss, at least newbies and rookies, is tune tune tune. Speaking of which, do you have tune kits? Or a box of primary /secondary jets in a kit? Like above?[/QUOTE]

Quote above is so true!

And yes I do have new T.Q. tuning kits for all 1972-1984 oem and SuperQuads and for all 850 and 1,000 cfm Competition Series T.Q.'s and the one year only 1971 340 carbs with the screw-in jets. I do not offer the kits with metering rods though but with enough jets to 'dial-in the carb properly.

Pic of the '71 340/Competition Series jets:

71tqjets 002.jpg

OUI! I shopped around for rods. I was quoted up to a price of $125 a rod back about ..I think 6 or 7 years ago. YIKES!!! Keep them please!

What are those bottom jets?

mean318, that 800 cfm AVS has a preety equal sized bores. I think the velocity would be killed on the low RPM side providing a slower take off from the line. IF the car was drag only, it's not something I'd not sweat, just work around since I'm more likely not in the low RPM range on the drag strip unless it is to and from the pits.

-
Back