Status
Not open for further replies.

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I am looking for a Themoquad that would be acceptable to use on my 318 with performer intake. It needs to be in good running condition, nice looking and somewhat well tuned.

Well tuned would be your doing.
A 318 T-Q, stock, would perform well on a stock 318. Once you put headers on it...chances are your running lean if it's a new T-Q or right about where you should be if it is an older T-Q.

You can bend up AFB rods approx. 3/4 shorter to fit the T-Q rod length and help tune it up.

I have a Thermoquad off a 77 400, needs rebuilding, I also have a 600 Holley with vacuum secondary, came off my 1972 good running 318. I went with the Carter AFB. Let me know if you're interested in either. DMK

I just saw one at the local swap meet this past Saturday, new in the box $15. I didn't think twice about it because those things were junk outta the box anyway. Go with an AFB or a new Edelbrock, don't waste time on warped plastic.

I just saw one at the local swap meet this past Saturday, new in the box $15. I didn't think twice about it because those things were junk outta the box anyway. Go with an AFB or a new Edelbrock, don't waste time on warped plastic.

i wouldnt say that, one of the best carbs ive ever seen when rebuilt/tuned by someone who KNOWs what there doing. I thought my AFB competition series was great till my buddy had a thermoquad rebuilt for his 68 dart 340. Thing works great and pulls in plenty of fuel and air, now im going to get a thermoquad and sell the afb

62v200's statement is just from somebody that doesn't know or understand Thermoquads.

Chuck

In my opinion the thermoquad is a double edge sword all its good points and bad points all lay with the Phenolic body it is good at blocking heat transfer but it isn't really that good at longevity I currently have 5 or 6 of them and every one iv ever pulled apart the body just falls into pieces. And I also agree, that if they are tuned right they kick ***. The only person I know that could tune them was my father. I never got that special knack at doing it right hence the reason mine are all sitting on the shelf.

I wouldn't say that ethier. I have several T-Q's (2- 800 cfm, 3 850's) and 2 Carter 9000 series (625 & 750) AFB's, not Edelbrock carbs, 2 OE AVS carbs (630 a& 750) And just got back into a Holley again after a long time of not having one.

Leaving the Holley out of the comparo, the T-Q is the fussiest to set up. But it delivers the best & most W.O.T. performance and is the nicest street manored of the 3 Carter model carbs.

The AFB is the softest on performance with correct sizeing being most important. I can and have gotten a 750 to work on a mostly stock 318 without much problem tuning it to work. And work it did. But it was soft on acceleration until the engine got the RPM's up enuff to strart making use of the large carb.

The AFB's weighted secondary velocity valve is heavy. Which is good for big cars. Weighty B or C bodies. On a 318 Duster, it wasn't so hot. The doors need to be lightened. A lot.

The AVS being very similar to a AFB but having the spring loaded secondary door is real nice. I dialed it in to open faster than the AFB's doors would open and a noticable difference was felt. The butt meter said OH YEA! Theres more power!

Same as above for the T-Q except even more power and drivabilty. The 800 unit is the one to use on a stock mild teen to a hot street set up.

Tuning the Holley as we speak, I came in for a break.

well the body isint really a plastic it is made more with paper/cotton blend impregnated with a synthetic plastic resin and I dont think they can warp (or well let me just say iv never seen them warp) but they do become brittle with time.

They warp. If the engine becomes very hot, or the conditions around it become hot and you enter a cool area quickly after shut off, it may warp.

I had one warp and one crack.

Warping can possibly be handled by a sanding of the surface to square it up. I was lucky to catch it before it became a big problem.

Small cracks leak gas and can be patched with JB weld. Been there done that it still works 5 years running, not everyday, but alot. Will JB weld last? I don't know.

If the crack runs under the plastics bottom inbetween itself and the throttle body, you may have a permanet failure. That surface must be a clean mate. JB weld inside the bowl may work. I have not tried that yet.

The reason would be that someone does not know how to tune them. Q-jets are also nick named Quadra-bogs or Quadra-flush by people that can't tune them.

Chuck

They can be a pain in all the linkages they have. AFB/AVS carbs are no different. If the linkages are bent, out of spec, it'll be a bummer of a carb.
It can be a draw back of a Carter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340srule
They're called "therma-bogs" for a reason...

Tighten up the rear airdoor and readjust the pumpshot.
A bummer of a T-Q is the squirters are not on the shelves. Your mostly left to drill them out unless you have a few hanging around.

Boy- you guys are touchy about those things......yes I understand them, they're junk in my opinion...why try to find good phenolic cores, etc. when you can just get a new one out of the box? If they are so good why did a MoPar racer have one new in the box for $15? (never opened) I'm not gonna argue - everybody likes different things TQ's, Holley, AFB, whatever, I'm just saying I've never seen one worth its salt. Pretty arrogant to assume someone doesn't know or understand something because they gave their opinion.

If someone knew how to tune one then they wouldn't make that comment. They would have no reason too. Plus this thread is about a guy that is looking for a Thermoquad, he is not asking peoples opinion if they like them or not.

Chuck

I don't know why you're trying to goad the newbie..but I'm not gonna bite. Have a nice evening. MOPARJ - sorry to hi-jack your thread...hope you find what you're looking for. (Nice edit after the fact Chuck, everything after "comment" -that's class- ouch.)

Not taking sides here, but it seems that most opinions about the Thermoquad are, well, . . . mostly negative.
Why would you want to screw around with a warping or cracking carb unless you have a show car?

Most older mechanics (Mopar professionals) will tell you they were a serious pain in the butt. . . most often tossed and replaced. Old school mechanics (My Dad for one) hated them.

BRAVO . . . to the guys who know how to deal with them. Anyone who is keeping their car "factory stock" for show purposes probably isn't worried about optimum performance issues (racing) and will be happy with the standard performance of the "original" Thermoquad.

QUESTION: Where would Edelbrock be today without the Carter carburetor basics? I'm guessing cloning Holleys, or selling Demons.

Personally, I would have to think twice if someone was selling me ANY new carb for $15. Desperation? Who knows. . . Not popular? Probably.

NEED A BARGAIN? THERE YOU GO!

What is a ..... "Mean sounding" . . .carburetor?

Does it suck because it doesn't suck?

As BEAVIS would say: "All functioning carburetors SUCK because they do.

Carburetors that don't suck, suck because they don't suck."

I'm going to bed. . . .

He he he. Well, I do like the carb, but then again, what ever works is good in my book. I have had excellent results with all sorts of carbs and makes.
They (T-Q's) were a pain in the *** but, that was then and I'm very sure nothing has changed. I still think there a pain in the *** and since I understand whats coming down the pike when I touch/mess with one.........

I'm not exactly sooo touchy about a T-Q, but I do like'em. Just as much as any other carb. It's a bit hard to look away from a cheap carb that will work preety good. If I had money for a new carb, that would be on the car now instead of the 4160 I picked up for $20.

It would be a new carb that would work
if the wallet said, "Yes, go get!"

Good night Glow worm.

I like TQ's, too. They get really good mileage and a lot of punch when the rear barrels kick in.

I saw a friend at the Lone Star Shootout last weekend, his son runs a stock auto class in a 71 340 Duster. I didn't ask what he had for a combo, but he did have 10.70 on his windshield. Not bad for a car with a TQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back