Thinking about going 5.9

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
Ok I've been thinking about going with a 5.9.my 73 duster currently has a stock 318 with performer intake.570 street avenger
Dual 2" exhaust stock manifolds.i love my 318 but always want more power
Local junkyard 318/360la are scarce.but 5.9 magnums are everywhere.i can get them for maybe $200.add warranty.and could bring parts back to swap if things are bad.i dunno of I want one all stock at first.and build another one with stuff done too it later.because I'm thinking about going bigblock in future.unless I'm happy with magnum.at min.first magnum will have a magnum rpm airgap.and use the 570 street avenger.because I'm sure more cam will require bigger carb?8 also have new set of hooker 5901 headers and 2 d8ngle chamber mufflers.plan is to use all stock untouched bottom end.i think that going from stock to big performance cam may cause issues at first.but maybe less likely if just using it all stock except with rpm intake and 570 street avenger.looking for help.before I go bigblock haha.car is currently my daily driver.figure stock magnum or at least a stage 1 cam from one of those companies I see on this site.

Well, I used a '03, 5.9 in my B body and I'm happy with it. No cam yet. The Magnum was treated to a rpm intake, 600 AFB (though a 750 would be my choice if I had the carb for use.)
Hooker 1-3/4 super Comps & 2-1/2 exhaust w/Dyno Max super turbos.
Chrome box fired.

B&M flexplate to a neutral balance 2200 stall converter & 727, 9-1/4/3.55's, 26-1/2 tire.

I don't know what a stage one cam is because every company I piddle through has there own take on it with various durations and lifts. So the question to you is, at what rpm range are you cruising in, is gas mileage important and what kind of power are you looking to make?

Yes, I'd go with the 5.9 again for sure.

I swapped my 318 for a Magnum a year or so ago in my daily driver and included the A500OD trans.
This made the trans and converter bolt right up to the 5.9 with the correct balance only slightly egging one converter bolt hole.
The cam is a 214/224 duration with about .512 lift using the factory roller lifters and stock Magnum rocker gear.
The heads were replaced with EQ Magnum Iron heads drilled for LA intakes, 92cc closed chambers and 1.92 intake valves.
I'm only running an Edelbrock 600cfm and the 318/360 Edelbrock dual plane intake off the 318, and the 1 5/8 long tube headers with 2.5 inch duals with Flowmasters.
I paid right at $150 for the regrind cam from Oregon Cam Grinders, and Hughes 1110 springs with the higher lift retainers.
All the front is LA covers, water pump and Vbelt drive but a Carter electric pump.

I gained about 200hp and 8 miles to the gallon better on the hiway than the 318/904 combo.
Couldn't be happier with it.
(I didn't have a bunch of money to spend on it, and I have about 2,500-2,800 into the entire swap)

ready.jpg

A500OD.jpg

MagnumswapLA.jpg

ShifterArt.jpg

The stage one has about 450 lift.i think place is called magnum power. it says works with stock springs
I'd l8ke to keep it cheap and simple.as long as it's fun to drive.its mainly for backup engine for my 318.and im also looking into the best perform8ng regrind I can get.i don't m8nd getting better springs.and would like to have 110 lobe sep.so maybe it can have a little beefy sound to it.will be using stock heads
I can get warranty and return until I get a pair that isn't cracked.i want to keep it put of machine shop pretty much
Not wanting to spend alote.

You mean member here, "Magnummopar" and his stuff I think.

Off hand, I don't remember the cam duration. From what I gathered previously, he put some thought into his set ups. A few (well, maybe more than a few, I didn't keep count or score. LOL! )
Fellas here went with him and there very happy with the results.

I used the 5.9 block for my stroker build and I love it. The stock roller lifters are great for my med duration and lift roller cam. Even used the original lifters with the roller guides. Used the RPM Magnum head (now EQ head). I put the 318 timing cover and pulleys on it too. It has been super dependable and great running. Watch the heads on the stock magnums, they had cracking issue between valves.

You don't need much cam to wake these magnums up. Stock magnum with a 4bbl and headers said to dyno 320hp so that cam would probably get 1 hp per cid which a decent amount and make an gòod driver.
As for carb I wouldn't worry about it too much. Install a vacuum gauge and if it's pulling way to much vacuum on a full throttle run it Maybe worth moving up for a few hp.

I swapped my 318 for a Magnum a year or so ago in my daily driver and included the A500OD trans.
This made the trans and converter bolt right up to the 5.9 with the correct balance only slightly egging one converter bolt hole.
The cam is a 214/224 duration with about .512 lift using the factory roller lifters and stock Magnum rocker gear.
The heads were replaced with EQ Magnum Iron heads drilled for LA intakes, 92cc closed chambers and 1.92 intake valves.
I'm only running an Edelbrock 600cfm and the 318/360 Edelbrock dual plane intake off the 318, and the 1 5/8 long tube headers with 2.5 inch duals with Flowmasters.
I paid right at $150 for the regrind cam from Oregon Cam Grinders, and Hughes 1110 springs with the higher lift retainers.
All the front is LA covers, water pump and Vbelt drive but a Carter electric pump.

I gained about 200hp and 8 miles to the gallon better on the hiway than the 318/904 combo.
(I didn't have a bunch of money to spend on it, and I have about 2,500-2,800 into the entire swap)

View attachment 1715085476

View attachment 1715085477

View attachment 1715085478

View attachment 1715085479
What Lsa.is the Oregon regrind? How does it sound

Also.about pullys.i don't want to run a serpentine belt.or ac bracket.so can I use la pulleys and brackets.ill also prob use la timing cover etc.i dunno yet whatever is easier.and or cheaper

What Lsa.is the Oregon regrind? How does it sound

Any thing you want basically.
I just called them and discussed what I wanted, which was specs for a good mid throttle torque, a little sound to it at idle, decent gas mileage and could use the factory magnum rockers.
I posted a video a few days ago, but that was a cold start and a bit lean on the choke so I don't think it's a fair representation of the normal idle.
Lets say it sounds not quite stock but I do get lots of compliments on the sound of it.

We ended up with 214/224 with .512 lift on a 110 LSA.
It's definitely noticeable at idle but smooth's right out off idle.

You can use LA timing cover with LA water pump and pulleys. I don't use AC either but still use a serp. belt.

IMG_0079.JPG

View attachment 1715085476

View attachment 1715085477

View attachment 1715085478

View attachment 1715085479
Nice setup. How much floor cutting was required for the 500 tranny?

Is magnummopar still in business??
Does not look like it. I left a message and called them a couple times back around September and never got ahold of anyone. The web address does not work and I saw someone else post that they were no longer in business. There is a thread in the General Discussion section asking this same question.

Last edited:
He has closed shop due to health issues. I pm him and he replied about closing up.

Nice setup. How much floor cutting was required for the 500 tranny?

Sorry, I just ran across this question.
ZERO floor cutting, but trimmed off the loop over the top of the trans so it was flat.

Sorry, I just ran across this question.
ZERO floor cutting, but trimmed off the loop over the top of the trans so it was flat.
Thanks for responding. Was thinking about a gearvendors overdrive, but if I can do the same thing using a 500 and keep my floor and torsion bars, I'll do that.

-
Back