Thnking of stroking a 360, any suggestions?

-

RDupont01

Reaction score
I have a '73 Swinger, currently running a 318. Thinking about getting a 360 and stroking it. Anyone done this? Any suggestions, tips, warnings? Also, ballpark figures of estimated HP/Torque? Will it drop right in or will mountiing modifications be needed?

Sorry about all the questions still new to MOPAR.

Robert

I have a '73 Swinger, currently running a 318. Thinking about getting a 360 and stroking it. Anyone done this? Any suggestions, tips, warnings? Also, ballpark figures of estimated HP/Torque? Will it drop right in or will mountiing modifications be needed?

Sorry about all the questions still new to MOPAR.

Robert
Start saving $$$$$$ your gonna need it, Talk to Brian at IMM engines, I had mine built locally, but if I had been on here BEFORE I built mine I would have done some things differently. It will bolt right in Mine had a 318 in it before the 360 which i ran for 23 years then turned that into a 412, hp/torque will depend on how much $$ you want to spend. Don't buy a "CRATE ENGINE" good luck.

Talk to Brian at IMM engines

Brian is "ou812" here on FABO. Lots of Mopar smallblock knowledge and info. IMM Engines was featured in a recent small block Mopar build in one of the monthly mags.
He'll do you right.

Haven't stroked a 360 but have stroked a 340 get ready to spend some money if you want to make power...

I'm building the 360 either way, haven't decided yet whether to stroke it. Quite a big difference in price. From what I read, with at least some of the cranks, you need to grind out the block a bit for clearance, but I don't know if that's all the cranks. (er yeah, maybe it was rods... clearance for something).

Rods as well depending on which ones are used. IDK what is what with it though.

i stroked my 5.9 magnum motor and only problems ive had when building motor was the magnum rod with arp bolts had some clearance problems on block. Other than that every time i start her up i grin and any one who is in the car always says i look like a little kid when im driving it because it makes me happy.

It's not much more to stroke it.

Pistons might be about $0-80 more depending on what you choose.
Figure what it cost to cut a crank, a Scat cast crank is about 290ish
Resize rods with good bolts, scat forged I beams are about $290

When you get done doing all that stuff, the stroker bottom end isn't that much more.

Are the cheap Scat cast cranks strong enough though (to build a good stroker)? I was figuring a lot more than $290 for the crank. Actually, I wasn't even considering anything that cheap. Am I overestimating the importance of quality necessary for that?

Plenty of 500ish hp engines running with the 9000 series Scat cast cranks

If you are looking at making in the high 5's or more, than a forged crank is a good choice.

Theres a few different ways to skin the cat on these builds. First you need to know what you want out of it, what you have in existing parts, and how much you can spend. I've built 340 and 360 based and there's a few things I consider "must dos" beyond what I might do for a factory discpalcement build.
1. Sonic test the block. Mopar suffer greatly from core shift in the bore castings and the side loading of the longer stroke can cause wall flex or cracks in worst case situations.
2. Use studs in the main caps. The Mopar caps ae strong as is, but the bolts can allow cap walk and the center of the caps to flex under heavy loads. Especially using the weaker cranks the best solid foundataion without excessive spending is what you want. For $60 you can get a real improvement.
3. Internal balance the assembly. External balancing adds stress to the crank and block's main structure. You will have a smoother running, more powerful, and longer lived engine if you spend the extra couple hundred to internally balance.
Otherwise there's a few unique things too. Remember the crank is 11 (360s) or 18%(340s) longer stroke, and the stroke makes the most difference in any build. You go longer stroke, the rpms at which any power will be made it reduced. So the parts you look at in the books will give rpm ranges for power production. They ae not based on a stroked engine, and you want to go about 20-25% larger for things like camshafts and cylinder heads if you want to keep a nice well rounded engine. For heads I dont think using a head of less than 240cfm @ .500 is worth it. Some guys do, so this is more of a taste thing but I want enough port to feed ti fromm idle to 6K...lol. It's very easy to build a torque monster that can't make power past 4500 by simply following catalog info. The connecting rods... Factory rods with nuts and bolts will need the bottoms of the bores clearanced. Rods that use cap screws (LeMans type design doesnt use nuts...) should clear with no mods. Pistons.. Use forged. Period. No cast or hypers. Cranks - Eagle cranks are the cheapest and should be limited to builds under 450hp if you build like I do, 400 if you dont. They are cheap for a reason. Scat cast (which is also the MP cast) are much better and I have several making beyond 550hp with them reliably. Carbs - there are dry flowed and wet flowed carb ratings. Wet flowed is the better test mode because it takes into account the fuel in the airflow rating and will usually be about 18% more flow for an advertised size. Examples of dry flowed are Holley 4150,3310, 4160, etc and all Edelbrock carbs. Wet flowed are Holley Street Avengers, Race series, Demons, and most custom shop carbs. If you run a dry flow rated 750 cfm (around 680cfm wet flowed) you will leave power and economy on the table. I start at 870cfm wet flowed for my mild 4" engines.

My 408 stroker build:

'73 360 block bored .030 over
Diamond forged 10.2:1 step dish pistons
Scat cast crank
Cat H-beam rods
Hughes custom hyd. roller cam/lifters 576/576 lift, 256/258 dur. @ .050
Milodon gear drive
Stage 3 ported Eddy heads done by Hughes, 208 intake, 160 exh.
Hughes 1.6 roller rockers
Edelbrock victor 340 manifold
750 mighty demon carb

Made 533 HP and 513 ft lbs.

for example...kb107 are around $200, stroker pistons start at $360 for hyperutectic or $420+ for forged, you'll need a new crankshaft, starts at $225'ish for cast and $450-800 for a forged steel crank, stock rods can be used though only to a point/rpm then you'll need to step that up with some h beams=$389-450.

the rest will be modifying the heads to keep up or buying all new heads that will keep up with the cid increase, after that it's all the same gaskets/rings, w/ the exception of narrowed/champhered main/rod bearings.

kits=crank/rods/pistons/bearings/rings start at $999 and can go into $2250 range.

just adding the 4'' stroke alone should pick up 75ftlbs of torque.

put together a build plan, then you'll get answers/guesses on how much power it will make.

-
Back