Thoughts/Ideas on this Cam -

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Looking to install this cam: crb 270h-10 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-21-306-4/) into my BB Dart. Car is a street cruiser with occasional track time.

Setup is: 440 with .30 / 516 heads (9.2/1), big valves, isky rockers, Torker II, 750 proform VS. Built 727 with about 3200/3400 convertor, 430's on 28's

I know there are better performance cams, just thoughts on this one.

I was thinking once degreed in to advance 4 degrees for a bit more static compression?

What would you do to make this combo work - WITHOUT putting money into it. I have the cam and lifters.

Please let hear some ideas and thoughts.

Thanks

You all ready have the cam and lifters. See about trading it for a more aggressive cam.
If you want to use that cam, try trading for a dual plane intake.

I like the Magnum family of cams - personally I like the 292 better and I think it would be a better match for what you have. I'd also stick the Crane H-302-2 in the running. Either will give you a mountain of midrange and good grunt.

What's in it now, and how does it run?

I like the Magnum family of cams - personally I like the 292 better and I think it would be a better match for what you have. I'd also stick the Crane H-302-2 in the running. Either will give you a mountain of midrange and good grunt.

What's in it now, and how does it run?

I'm also a fan of the Magnum cams.

Rumble - Thanks, I was thinking of doing this, so I may step up.

Moper and mini - Thank you guys, right now the motor is in a 71 Dart and has a Comp crb3 xr280hr-10 (Hydr Roller .541/537).

What would you do to make this combo work - WITHOUT putting money into it. I have the cam and lifters.

I guess you're trying to back things off a little, and I can understand that, but I really don't know if the cam swap will give you what you want, considering the rest of the combo. That roller, well tuned should be fairly mild...imo.

My first thought would be to trade the 4.30's for some 3.55's. You certainly have enough converter to make them work. And if you can find a decent trade on a dual plane intake for your T2, A RPM or CH4B, I'd look at that also. But then again, a single plane Holley Street Dominator can make some good power with a nice torque range. My opinion is, with your fairly light car, you'll still make plenty of torque to turn decent track times, but still be highway friendly.

Knowign it's already got that HR in it... I'm with OMRick on this. I'd tweak the combo.. Gears, possibly convertor if it's a cheaper unit, swap the intake to a modern dual plane and see if that alleviates what's bugging you about it.

Folks - thank you, you all have really helped and have great ideas, always worth coming to this site.

Just to add: While the Magnum looks milder on the surface, and it would be as far as springs/valvetrain stress, I went a little deeper comparing the two choices and stopped when I got to the intake closing numbers.....

Magnum ... 61*
Xr280 ...... 41*

That roller is doing a great job keeping the cylinder pressure up at low rpm's....... especially helpful with just 9.2/1 compression. Although it may not be real noticeable with 4.30 gears, if you do gear down at some point, my opinion is it would be helpful. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if the vacuum numbers at idle would be just as good with the Xr280 or better.

My opinion only. Maybe some others will add to the conversation. :)

Just out of curiosity - why are you thinknig about changing things? Is something not performing or bugging you?

Moper - I built this car as a street bruiser and it has transitioned to a semi-pro street. As I try to sell it, what everyone likes is the rumble and the performance, what they don't like is the reality of driving (cruising) something like this, or want to pay the price for making it tame yet within 11's on the streets.

My plan is to take it back a bit, pull some of the expensive parts that support the pro-street style and trend more towards a hot rod and reduce the price.

I totally agree with roller cam - and what Rick found is one of the reasons I went with the cam - I truly love this cam. But I also have the magnum cam not being used and $700 cam change, M-1 to a Torker II, remove nitrous/controllers, and 750 Ultra HP to a VS Proform will pallet a reduction in the over-all price of the car - but keep it nice and cruise friendly for a buyer. (all part laying around the garage, seems I have a hoarding problem - according to my wife)

I agree too, changing gears would put it in a better area too, just don't want to spend $500 on a 355 chunk (its spooled 430's) at this time, but we will see.

Strangely - since this post a buyer has popped up? so we have made a deal for as the car sits. However as we all have been, buyers change direction too.

I want to keep the rumble and a bit of the performance, so I am looking for another cam direction - I found a MP .590 and may put this in at about 102*. Should bring static up, will keep the rumble and performance, concern is going away from the hot rod part. Thoughts on this?

Thank you for asking and Rick - thank you, very cool you would take the time.

V/r - Charles

-
Back