Thoughts: Taking B-body axles to A-body length

-

fasttcars

Reaction score
Good day,
Just seeing If anyone had any experience with taking B-body 29 3/16 length axles down to A-body 27 3/4 length. The axles are Moser 35 spline. I realize the axles would probably need to be re-splined and hardened but just not sure if it's worth it or if it's possible to just cut them down 1 7/16 & be ok. Axle spline length is 3". A spool would be used Street/strip 618 Hp small block.

received_10159617525625492.jpeg

Last edited:
You’ll have to call Moser on that one. Stock B body axles can’t be cut down to a-body width because of a step down in the diameter of the axle. But I doubt that the aftermarket Moser axles would have that issue.

That Valiant looks awesome BTW! :thumbsup:

I used to have a shop in Knoxville do this years ago. But it’s just not worth the hassle or expense.

Strange told me that the minimum spline engagement is only 1".
So 1" or more spline and your good to go.

For the cost of all that , you'd be able to get a set from Dr Diff or maybe even Moser

That should leave you 1 9/16 of spline so plenty. Just have the shafts cut down. With a spool it doesn't have to be a super precise cut. Ive cut them at home before with a cut off saw and tapered the edges with a file.

you say they're 35 spline Moser axles. being so you can cut them to the length you want because they may not neck down.

measure the length of your splines

you may not have to respline them.

by the way you'd cut them at 28 in not 27 and 3/4 because you're using the bigger brakes.

another way to do it would just be cut 3/16 or so off of each axle and stick them in the spool if you are running green bearings.
if you are running tapered bearings get an exact measurement so that they touch inside the spool in the middle and then you can adjust your free play.

I have used a chop saw to cut axles off in the past without a problem.

Last edited:
Do u have a Moser spool? The spline angle is different than anyone else’s so u need to match axles to spool. I have had truck axles shortened 1/2 in to fit in an older housing. I would shorten them. Kim

Hey everyone thanks for your input! Sometimes when you think hard enough about something other options pop out of the blue. Just as I was contemplating the operation some Moser A-body axles came into my life. Nice having a simple solution lol on to the next segment

Do u have a Moser spool? The spline angle is different than anyone else’s so u need to match axles to spool. I have had truck axles shortened 1/2 in to fit in an older housing. I would shorten them. Kim

I thought it was the Mark Williams or the strange engineering spools that had different splines not The Mosser spool.

If he uses the 1& 3/16 offset then one axle is about 28 &3/4 of an inch and the other one is about 27& three quarters of an inch.

Talk to doctor diff.

-
Back