Status
Not open for further replies.

JRDART

Owner "Poisoned Dart"
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I never thought I would have to do this..but I need help. Awhile back I posted a wanted ad for a 904 trans with no response..maybe I worded it wrong or something. However I need to send up the call again.

Im sure you have seen the thread I had started about my trans having water in it. After a lot of digging around and inspecting Ive found that it is in fact drawing water from the Rad. This indicated that its only a matter of time before Im left with a blown trans and maybe worse.

I hear from alot of people about others "Giving" these things away but thats not what Im after. Im more than willing to pay for the item..possibly giving my old one up for scrap. This car is my DD and without it Im up shiz creek without a paddle. Is there anyone in this area that can help? Shipping on these would be outrageous Im sure so the closer the better.

Ok; let me see if my nephew has one,he lives in Willard.Did you get another radiator or not?

No..Im going to put a outside trans cooler on it that I have.

Its a trans cooler built into the radiator right? If so could you drain and refill the trans and add an external cooler? Or is it already to late to save the trans?

Sorry you posted before i finished typing lol

Its a trans cooler built into the radiator right? If so could you drain and refill the trans and add an external cooler? Or is it already to late to save the trans?

TBH idk if its too late or not. It shifts and drives great but once water hits the clutches its only a matter of time.

for what its worth , ive had that happen to me. i drained the fluid, emptied the torque converter, adjusted the bands, changed the filter , put in a new radiator, filled it with fresh fluid, ran it for a few hours and changed the fluid again and that trans lived a very long happy life.

for what its worth , ive had that happen to me. i drained the fluid, emptied the torque converter, adjusted the bands, changed the filter , put in a new radiator, filled it with fresh fluid, ran it for a few hours and changed the fluid again and that trans lived a very long happy life.

That does make me feel better..unfortunatly I cant change out anything or do major work on my car..landlord wont allow it. My boss said I can use his garage but I really cant have the car down for more than a day.

TBH idk if its too late or not. It shifts and drives great but once water hits the clutches its only a matter of time.

You might consider plugging the holes where the cooler lines went into the radiator and then add the external cooler then flush the trans at a shop with the machine to remove all of the water. Then with the radiator holes plugged it will just fill that with water and increase your coolant capacity a little. So in the end you get a fushed trans, slighty more coolant capacity, and an external cooler.

yeah as soon as I can get the trans cooler here..Its 40 miles south at my grandpas garage..then I may try that but atm idk when theyre going to be up this way or if my car can make that trip down there next week when I get paid.

He doesn't have one for a /6,I have two here but I'm quite a few miles from you.Can you drain the pan and check to see if you have a drain plug on the converter?Chances are slim but maybe.put a new filter and fluid in it and use your outside cooler then give me your address and i'll ship you a radiator

One sec..lemme go take a pic of the fluid and tell me what you guys think.

That does make me feel better..unfortunatly I cant change out anything or do major work on my car..landlord wont allow it. My boss said I can use his garage but I really cant have the car down for more than a day.

it doesnt take very long to drop the pan and adjust the bands, and seal it back up. i did mine in 30 minutes. the converter should have a drain plug that is accessable from the inspection plate. realistically , you could do all this including the cooler in less than 2 hours.

Heres what it looks like
SUNP0007.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic. Its not as bad today as it was yesterday..It liiked like I had filled it with strawberry milk.

i would say , and i know this sucks to hear, but if you want to save that trans, you need to stop driving it. or if you must, get that fluid out of there asap and connect the trans lines together at the radiator, and dont run any more than you have to . you would be shocked to see the condition of some of the fluid ive drained out of transmissions that were still working good

Well ya that does suck to hear. This is my only vehicle and my only way to work. Idk when Ill be able to get that cooler up here and cant afford a trans fluid change till next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back