TQ Advice

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I've done the searches and there's just to much information to sort through. I'm currently in the process of switching over a high revving 340 to a street driven 408 making no more than 400 horsepower. The car had a 3500 stall converter and I want to switch it to a 2000 because this is going to be mainly street driven. My current configuration is it stock 904 with 3:55 rear. My question is can I just use a stock replacement torque converter or is it better to go with something special, keeping in mind I am on a budget.

Many factors play a part in choosing the right convertor. Best bet is to call a reputable convertor manufacturer and provide details of car like cam, weight gears etc and they can steer you to a convertor you will be happy with. My recomendation is to buy the right convertor the first time because even if it costs a little more it's cheaper and easier than buying multiple convertors and replacing them because you are unhappy.

Can't answer your question, but happy to see you are making progress with your project. Talk to you soon

Many factors play a part in choosing the right convertor. Best bet is to call a reputable convertor manufacturer and provide details of car like cam, weight gears etc and they can steer you to a convertor you will be happy with. My recomendation is to buy the right convertor the first time because even if it costs a little more it's cheaper and easier than buying multiple convertors and replacing them because you are unhappy.
Can't agree more with this statement. You must be honest with the information you give the convertor manufacturer or you'll get the wrong one for "YOUR APPLICATION".
Too many times over the years, I saw good money spent after bad, as the wrong information was given at the time of the original purchase. Buy from one of the builders that have been mentioned on this board. Don't let price be your only guide, and avoid used converters as you don't know what the original application was or what the condition of it's like inside.
I understand the budget thing, as I'm sure we've all gone through it at one time or another. Before you decide on a stock or modified converter, find out what your combination will need and go from there.

get the stock 340 replacement convertor 10 3/4"
Original 340 cores are difficult to find. The converter shop I worked at, and others I've been in, stock 340 and Hemi converters: Rebuildable core in first.

Last edited:
Valkman, check into a local (or even distant) Performance/Race Torque Converter shop About restalling the verter. They could very well be able to reduce the stall to where you want/need it. I have a local place (right down the street) that does really nice work. ProTorque High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converters
This might be a good option. They'll know what stall his setup requires once he gives them all the information on what he's got.

get the stock 340 replacement convertor 10 3/4"
Is this similar to a 360 converter, and will it fit a 904? Please excuse my ignorance with this I dealt with automatics much

Last edited:
Is this similar to a 360 converter, and will it fit a 904? Please excuse my ignorance with this I dealt with automatics much
No, it will not fit the 904. To the best of my knowledge, and at one time the owner of a new 71 340 Duster, the 340 only came with the 727.
360's on the other hand did come with the 904. Watch out though, starting in 1978 the 360 used a lockup converter.

No, it will not fit the 904. To the best of my knowledge, and at one time the owner of a new 71 340 Duster, the 340 only came with the 727.
360's on the other hand did come with the 904. Watch out though, starting in 1978 the 360 used a lockup converter.

So you all know I have an 65 Barracuda, and a 727 won't fit without some modification. I do have 904 out of a 73 318 Duster.

Go with the 904. It will free up a good bit of HP, weighs less and allow for better mileage. It'll fit a little easier as well.

if the engine going in is internally balanced, you want a convertor without weights, 360 units have weights. get a 318 10 3/4" unit for a 904

-
Back