TR-5 Tunnel Ram

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Has anyone ran a TR-5 Tunnel ram before? What are the pros and cons of them? I just purchased on and got a pair of holley 450s for it also. Just looking for some general input on them! Thanks!

meck005.jpg

rocknroll.jpg

Yeah they work.

i ran two 750 proforms on mine but they where alitle on the large side solidroller 340 about 11:1compression 3200rpm stall converter. daily driver and pure fun machine on cruise nights all in one package.

if i ever put that Tunnelram on again i will use either some 660centersquirters or a pair of 500cfm edelbrocks. 500cfm edelbrocks works pretty darn good on tunnelramed smallblocks and will run pretty good straight out of the box. i think those 450holleys may be mechanical secondarys but without any accpumps on the secondary side and i have a hard time seeing how to make that work good on a tunnelram.

there is 3 diferent tops for that manifold. single carb with tall plenum:high rpm piece.
dual carbs with tall plenum: high rpm piece.
dual carbs with low plenum: good mid range manifold.
cant remember the rated rpms but i remember the tall plenums being way up there on the recomended rpm range something around 4000-8500 or even 9000rpm on the tall plenums.
the low plenum is much more sane.

good manifold with realy good midrange power:)

Yeah i believe it has teh tall plenum the bottom is cut out so its an air gap now instead of solid like yours the 450cfms are vaccum secondary's list number 4548 called edelbrock today and they said its rated from 3500-7000+ looking for a 340 block now and am going to run 11:1 compression also and probably a 3500 stall with either 4:10s or 4:30s havent decided on a cam yet i think i got a pretty good deal for the intake and carbs for 500? carbs just got rebuilt ill take a picture of it when i get it in the next couple of days when i get some free time. But glad to hear it isnt a bad intake lol!

i think you got a pretty good deal there:) i think that is about the money i payed for just the manifold without carbs,then again everything has a way of being more expensive here.

Yeah pretty much lol Now just have to find a good 340 block which i have now realized is much more difficult then it sounds haha. Do you have any tips on setting up the tunnel ram and/or tuning it by any chance? Never done a dual carb intake before!

nothing special about setting them up,just look at those two carbs like one 8barrel carb and you will get there,its just twice as many parts as a single carb.

dont know if those carbs will fit inline on the tunnelram but if they dont you will need to get a good linkagekit other than this its pretty straightforward realy:)

i run one on my 340 in the dart.nothing special...about 10:1 comp,j heads ,old crane hmv cam,2500 stall.ive run it with 390 holleys,500 afbs,and 450 holleys.the 450 work good but they need a loose converter to not bog.the 390 holleys worked the best for street driving .despite the "it will have no low end comments" it seems to spin the tires at a light stab.before the t ram i ran an rpm air gap,a torker ,and a weiand x-celerator.the ram made more power than all of them and only gave up a little low end compared to the air gap.

i run one on my 340 in the dart.nothing special...about 10:1 comp,j heads ,old crane hmv cam,2500 stall.ive run it with 390 holleys,500 afbs,and 450 holleys.the 450 work good but they need a loose converter to not bog.the 390 holleys worked the best for street driving .despite the "it will have no low end comments" it seems to spin the tires at a light stab.before the t ram i ran an rpm air gap,a torker ,and a weiand x-celerator.the ram made more power than all of them and only gave up a little low end compared to the air gap.

sorry if i gave the impression that the TR5 is a "it will have no low end power" manifold,i know it isnt,i just tried to point out that the manifolds with tall plenums are rated for some pretty high rpm while the low plenum has a more sane designed rpmwindow where it works good.
and i pointed at the good midrange since that is where i think these manifolds realy shine compared to anything else i have tried,and the lowend is pretty good actualy pretty close to the airgap manfiold while the midrange and top has been outstanding on the tunnelram even if its hard to judge the diference up there in the higher range.

oh to the original poster if you end up not being satisfied with the taller plenum and have trouble finding the lower version dont worry there is lots of them out there bolted to smallblock chevy tunnelrams of the same type and they are the exact same part and fits perfect on edelbrocks smallblock mopar tunnelram base:cheers:

sorry if i gave the impression that the TR5 is a "it will have no low end power" manifold,i know it isnt,i just tried to point out that the manifolds with tall plenums are rated for some pretty high rpm while the low plenum has a more sane designed rpmwindow where it works good.
and i pointed at the good midrange since that is where i think these manifolds realy shine compared to anything else i have tried,and the lowend is pretty good actualy pretty close to the airgap manfiold while the midrange and top has been outstanding on the tunnelram even if its hard to judge the diference up there in the higher range.

oh to the original poster if you end up not being satisfied with the taller plenum and have trouble finding the lower version dont worry there is lots of them out there bolted to smallblock chevy tunnelrams of the same type and they are the exact same part and fits perfect on edelbrocks smallblock mopar tunnelram base:cheers:
no apology needed.the "it will have no low end comments" were what people told me when i was toying with the idea of a t-ram.i was not referring to your post.actually ,you posted in support of my idea in in my t-ram thread irrc.

340 8bbl my motor will be around the same as yours but with some more compression and a higher stall. What do you have done to your J heads? I have a set of 360 J heads and im putting 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves in them. Forgot which cam im installing in it have it saved at my computer at home (out of town for work) but i believe its around .556 lift (belive sweet spot is 3400-6800ish) which is pretty much the same sweet spot as the TR-5 (3500-7000+ is what edelbrock told me when i called) So that should be a pretty good match correct?

Also anyone have a link to which linkage i should get? all i think i can find is side mount and i need an inline. Thanks!

Edelbrock has a inline kit though the cable itself will have to be. Us ton due to the intakes height. A Lokar or equal cable would do the trick.
Edelbrock has two different ways to use the carbs with a progressive set up and a basic both at once set up which is simpler to install and set up.

Is the inline just a bar that connects the two together? Not really sure how it works. And also what is the difference in a progressive and basic set up?

340 8bbl my motor will be around the same as yours but with some more compression and a higher stall. What do you have done to your J heads? I have a set of 360 J heads and im putting 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves in them. Forgot which cam im installing in it have it saved at my computer at home (out of town for work) but i believe its around .556 lift (belive sweet spot is 3400-6800ish) which is pretty much the same sweet spot as the TR-5 (3500-7000+ is what edelbrock told me when i called) So that should be a pretty good match correct?
other than a valve job and good valve springs not much has been done,just some milling.as for linkage im running a lokar throttle cable and KD cable.my carbs are mounted in line and work 1:1.(not progressive).my cam is a much milder than what your running .it pulls hard from 2500 to 6000.its also ground on a 114 lsa helps idle quality as well as off idle transfer .i ran a more radical grind before on a 108.it hit like a sledge hammer in the mid range ,but my current set up is more street friendly with more of a "stump puller" torque curve.my point is it will run well with a smaller cam should you want a little more low rpm power.

A progressive set up activates the rear carb first and then the front carb second. The opening rates are different so they end up wide open together.

The inline bar opens both up at the same time. Edelbrocks progressive set up can be done booth ways. When both carbs have the same opening rates, the throttle response is very strong, made torque. The progressive set up is softer off idle with a explosive feel when you get up top or closer to wide open throttle due to the front car. Opening faster to catch up.

For a T-ram. I suggest a 1-1 or direct linkage set up, both at the same time.

-
Back