Trans-Am Barracuda???

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
My- how the month's have flown by! I still hope everyone is well here on the site? Not that all care, but I am still somewhat immersed in the Mopar kingdom. Some of my last posting were all about the turning of our '65 Barracuda into an altered wheelbase wonder, but I"ve been re-thinking it. I've had thoughts of transforming it into a road race inspired Trams-Am car, one that would be fully street legal, but able to take to road course events and autocross challenges. Gutted interior, four speed, cage, etc... Not alot of this stuff out there, did a bit of a search, and really had no solid information for inspiration??? Anyone have any leads?? Just starting to formulate a plan, after having now done a full -on GM based road car, and am doing a SEMA 2014 Trams-Am Cyclone for a customer out of the shop. Thought it would be only right to do a Mopar......... Thanks for any leads, Dale

Your car or a 65 Valaint would be my next choice for a Road Racer with a small block. Their K members are unique but other than anything that any other A-body can use, they can use also. RMS has an Alter-K for the early A's as well. I would think an aluminum headed small block with 550+hp and a 5 spd with 275mm rubber would be a lethal combo.

Hell yea I say do it to it! I'd flare the wheel wells and make it look like the old javelin trans am cars of the day. Put a nasty little small block in it with side exiting exhaust. Would be bad ***.

Funny thing how projects languish, sit, then get re-activated, huh. Even funnier when a bunch of guys sit around and yet another new idea is hatched!! Well, here is the latest,and greatest in the life of my poor 'ol 'Cuda:

MOONEYES: "Dale- we want YOU to build the next Mooneyes Showcase car. We have a 65 Barracuda we want you to look at".

Me: "That's funny! I have one as well! Wouldn't it be real cool if we can build TWO match-race altered wheelbase cars just like the Mongoose and Snake match-ups??? That would be a real scream!!"

MOONEYES: "Okay Dale!! Lets get started!! We will start on artist renderings!"

- - - - The roller coaster ride continues........ Exciting!

I've always been a dragracer.... But road racing seems to have more time spent racing and less time sitting waiting for your next round ! Besides, it has corners !

MAKE IT HANDLE !

its great to read about those with the knowledge,a bility, and resources that can build and race these vintage type road racers. the average guy, me included, can't play there...... but I have to wonder if not building our early A cars for better SAFE handling would not be a course to consider????? the look of the road racer is cool too. to me
after a number of people read allthe info that you guys already have brought to attention here, perhaps it would be a great thread for someone to start here on making handling choices for the early A, some vintage cosmetic things that can be done for the "look"?, but the key is acceleration and speed on the curves that are inexpensive, fun and SAFE!!!!!!! $$ and fun are always key word for the average A body guy!!????
years ago I flew out to Oakland and bought a restored 67 383 4 spd cuda from a guy (don't remember his name, he was an engineer that developes synthetic oil for one of the oil co) ,(this was about 20001 or2?) he roadraced another 2nd gen cuda........ he had only added a BIG front swaybar to this cuda.... he picked me up at the airport and soon we were hauling a-- around pretty good curves. I always heard the big block A's handled poorly, but that shows what the right front swaybar can do!!?????

Total expense to autocross a street 70 Barracuda for 1 year was only about 5-800 dollars including a out of town weekend event. No race tires needed, just have fun. Of course this was around 1982-5 range. Everyone in the Mopar club said that a 383 Barracuda can only go in a straight line, they were soooo smart.

I have to wonder why in 1970 the AAR cuda , being run in the trans am series, was " the" machine. articles said it was basically uncompetitive due to excess weight, being built by "committee"? why didn't they chose to run a duster or dart? was it due to wanting exposure and increasing sales of the more expensive E body???? just wondering......

I have to wonder why in 1970 the AAR cuda , being run in the trans am series, was " the" machine. articles said it was basically uncompetitive due to excess weight, being built by "committee"? why didn't they chose to run a duster or dart? was it due to wanting exposure and increasing sales of the more expensive E body???? just wondering......

That was the first (and only) year the Chrysler factory was involved. The competition had several years experience by then. Maybe they just needed more time. Chrysler did pretty well in Rally racing around that time though.

The first Trans/Am race was won by a 273 Dart, Bob Tullius after the favorites had problems and dropped out.
http://www.a2zracer.com/page9.html

-
Back