Transbrake improvement?

-

drugster

Reaction score
Hi:
have a 74 Plymouth Duster around 3300 lbs, 415" sbm, 12.5-1, 250@050 flat tappet cam, single plane intake, 850 Ultra HP, Tf 904, 3800 stall converter, 4.56 geared 9", 28.5X10.5 slicks, 4 link suspension. Already running 11.40 on footbrake with 1.58 60fts. (The track is at 4700 fts over sea level).
How much improvement is possible if i install a transbrake?
Thanks in advance.

to be honest we didn't see any real improvement ET wise, but when playing the bracket game, leaving at the same rpm is just another ingredient for the consistency game. If you do go this route, make sure your torque converter is up to the task.

My Demon was a tenth faster leaving off the brake due to the converter being somewhat tight and not being able to bring up the rpm without the car wanting to move thru the lights....but I have since swapped out that converter. But a Jay says...it helps with your consistency ...

If you are really looking for an ET improvement ...I would get rid of a 3800 stall converter...get something that will flash to around 5000 rpm....

supposedly it doesn't make it any faster just helps consistency.

Like AAR said - brakes are for consistency - not ET. But the convertor and suspension play a huge part in ET. So whose convertor is it? Have you calculated slippage through the traps? Assuming the convertor really is right for your setup you should be able to go more aggressive on the suspension settings too.

I'm not an automatic trans car racer but IMO a trans brake will not only make the car more consistent but it will shave some time off the E.T. Because he can (not saying he can't now) hold a rpm and maybe a higher rpm easier to get the engine into a better launch rpm. This is where I think he can gain some time.

I learned here that it is a easy instal.

What cam do you have in it now?
And where is your location. I read it under your screen name but I have no clue where you are?

This is off topic from your question but I feel that has already been addressed, just like to say that I'm surprised your not running out of motor well before the end with 4.56 gears and that small'ish cam. What rpm are you spinning going through the traps? Was the engine dyno'ed and if so what rpm did it make peak power?

I would consider 4500-5000 conv. and either 4.11 or 4.30 gears , we ran the 4.30 gear and a 4500 conv. with a 440 in a dart with 26''x9.0 quick time street tire's and we had to much gear but ran 10.90 with it.

Good luck and nice car

Like AAR said - brakes are for consistency - not ET. But the convertor and suspension play a huge part in ET. So whose convertor is it? Have you calculated slippage through the traps? Assuming the convertor really is right for your setup you should be able to go more aggressive on the suspension settings too.
Have no idea how to calculate slippage! The converter is from Edge Racing converter, so im gonna call Andre' to talk about a restall, and maybe change to 4.30 or 4.11 gears.

I'm not an automatic trans car racer but IMO a trans brake will not only make the car more consistent but it will shave some time off the E.T. Because he can (not saying he can't now) hold a rpm and maybe a higher rpm easier to get the engine into a better launch rpm. This is where I think he can gain some time.

I learned here that it is a easy instal.

What cam do you have in it now?
And where is your location. I read it under your screen name but I have no clue where you are?
Mech flatt Comp Cams: 251-257@050, 574-590 lift, 1.6 crane rockers.
I live in the north of Mexico, like 400 miles away from El Paso Tx.
It's a small place, bad track, so no speed trap at the end, and sometimes no 60 fts times!!

-
Back