Trickflow vs Edelbrock RPM - Flow chart for both posted - What power difference with my combo???????

-

duster360

Reaction score
Engine combo. If I were to swap the Edelbrocks RPM for the Trickflow heads, what would be a guestimated power gain?
Engine combo is:
340 ci
10.0:1 compression
Comp cam advertised duration Intake 275 Exhaust 287 with .525" lift on both. Hydraulic
Edelbrock Air Gap intake

Would a cam swap be necessary to take advantage of the trickflow heads extra flow? Street engine, so it would have to stay under .600' lift

Trickflow small block heads
38059074622_866a8248eb-jpg.jpg

SMALL BLOCK EDELBROCK RPM "LA" HEADS

INTAKE EXHAUST FLOW

.100 71.0 55.0
.200 138.0 113.0
.300 188.0 150.0
.350 213.0 162.0
.400 230.0 176.0

.450 236.0 185.0 .500 240.0 189.0
.550 249.0 195.0
.600 251.0 196.0
.650 250.0 197.0
.700 254.0 198.0
.750 259.0 200.0

Last edited:
What would be the power gain if you did some porting on the Edelbrocks (assuming you haven't yet) Would you be contemplating swapping one set of "out of the box heads" for another? Do you think you have gotten all you can get from the Eddy's?

Almost 40 hp.

Trickflow finally did what us do it yourselfers have had to do hit and miss for decades...that is make a head that does 200cfm @.300 damn near [email protected] and 280'[email protected]

With numbers like what I'm running, lighter weight and way better exhaust port and chamber... i will say that Ootb these heads will be plenty for ANY of you.

Now you can clearly see how the eddy head is so much like a stock head, just aluminum with a tweak of the chamber and exh floor when you compare it to a trickflow 190

40 -50 hp, as much as 60 more with a tad more cam.

Direct head swap, no other change besides jetting the carb.

30 - 35 HP at best.

Take full advantage of the better head flow? Full advantage?

New cam with .600 lift and more duration?
You could be looking at upper 500hp.

Truly the catch here is ether port the Edelbrock heads to about this level or purchase the heads at that level?

Work with what you have or purchase new?

And yes a new cam would be highly recommended.
If it were myself, I’d do a solid roller.
Might as well get set to kick some *** right?!?!?!

Personally, I would like to see an outside source flow both heads back to back to see real numbers for comparison, eliminate the possibility of a "flow bench race" between manufacturers... I had read at one time that Edelbrock figures tended to be somewhat "optimistic"... I do like the appearance of the TFS ports a whole lot better by design, but would like to see if they flow as good as they look, lol!

If I can find a 340 block local I will do a build this winter.... I’m going to Texas for a few weeks at Christmas and would love to bring some trick flows back duty free.

Flow chart of CNC eddy from MCH ......something to compare

Attachments

• eddy_flow_chart.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,125
For a street engine, I like the low lift flow and intake to exhaust flow ratio of the CNC'd Eddy heads better than the out of the box TFS head. The TFS head intake port is weak compared to the exhaust and needs some large flow improvement to get the balance back down to 70%. It looks almost as bad as the numbers on a set of stock 308 heads with 80% max lift to 90% low lift exhaust to intake ratio. On a street driver with less than .600 lift camshaft, the .100 to .400 intake flows are a lot more important, it helps get the charge moving a lot quicker and the valve is also at low lift twice during the intake cycle, not just once like the peak intake. You'd be power and street manners ahead with getting a good CNC on your Edelbrocks. Now if we can score a set of TFS heads and get the intake ports CNC'd to see if the intake can be opened up to keep up with the exhaust without having to relocate the pushrods and run different rockers... very doubtful, but if it could be done, it'd make a head that would flow almost as good as any of the heads that do require the offset valve gear.

Id think the TFS would make 60-80 more hp than the ootb edelbrocks. Thats if the edelbrocks flow as good as they say they do. I like edelbrocks products but i think they took the lazy way out and the tfs proves that. On my flow bench the edelbrock performer rpm came in at 215cfm at .600 lift. When i called edelbrock they said they have a 15% tolerance on head flow. So basically they can tell you whatever they want. I sold my eddies on ebay and kept my x heads because the x head flowed way more ported. I ported the eddie but i couldnt get it to flow more than 255cfm at .600 while keeping the 2.02 valve and stock rocker. So to see 300 cfm from a ootb tfs head is really encouraging. Id like to flow one on my bench and see what it really flows.

I’ll tell you right now the Edelbrock heads don’t flow the numbers you listed in the above post out of the box.

How do you guys think the trickflow heads do compared to an ‘indybrock’ head with the pushrod holes that are moved over?

Thank you

The indybrocks come with a 2.05 valve if I remember right. The pinch although an issue on a stock Edelbrock can still flow over 300 cfm without moving the pushrod over. Just tubing thim and using every available square millimeter I’ve gotten over 315 cfm with a 2.08 valve. The 2.05 valve is just about the perfect valve size On Edelbrock heads became of the given available porting area. Most gain per dollar. I’m surprised the TrickFlow heads didn’t come with that size valve at least but after all they were going for the street strip guys with that head

-
Back