Tubular control arm advice

-

sdolsay

Reaction score
Hi guy's I have a question.

Took my Duster in for some front end work and when they tried to align it the bolt snapped off. The upper control arms are completly rusted solid...ick!

So he told me he'd fix it but I'd have to hunt down replacement control arms and "all the parts connected to them" because he was thinking something else would break while trying to dismantle them, I agree with his thinking, he doesn't want to tie up his shop space waiting for me to hunt down an obscure part.

ok thats the problem, now for my question. I'm thinking of going with tubular upper arms, can I do that and leave the lower ones stock for now?

Since the tube arms come by themselves, what does he mean by all the parts connected to them besides the bushings and balljoints?

Does anyone have a good resource for tubular arms that they would advise me on?

It's a 74 duster with front disks btw.

Thank in advance for any info you guy's throw my way!

Scott

he would have to be talking about the
bolts, nuts, excentricks, and bushings..
i dont see why he would replace anything else unless somethings bent!!
balljoints arent really a point of alignments.. unless they are worn out.

hope that helps a little
no links sorry!

Cerwin

That should cover it. I can't imagine anything else needing replaced such as the spindles or lower control arms. You don't need to do anything to the lower control arms to change to tubular upper control arms. I bought my new eccentric bolt kit from The Paddock for $25. The bushings and ball joints can be purchased through your local auto supply store.

I've seen tubular control arms advertised several different places and don't know who makes the best but I have conversed with a fellow by the name of Ray Costello that seems real friendly and honest and he makes a nice looking product and the price is deffinetly right. It's been awhile so I can't give you specs on it but I remember then comparing them to others and they were as good or better than everybody elses and cheaper than most. His e-mail is address is [email protected]
I was planning on buying a set from him about 6 months ago and got laid off from work and had to hold off. Haven't got caught up enough since. Some day I will get them. Hopefully soon.

The more I think about this the more I'm skeptical that I actually need new control arms. He said he wanted me to get some in case he bent/broke one trying to take them apart...they are kinda spendy for a "just in case"

I'm gonna crawl under and look at them myself...I've never messed with suspensions before but I don't see the point of having an extra set of control arms laying around if I don't need them. Resto money doesn't come easy and I don't want to spend it stupidly.

How hard a job is it to take out the whole control arm assembly?

I know I'd have to have the bushings pressed in and such, but if I can remove and clean, paint and reuse the arms I think I can save myself a few hundred bucks.

BTW I'm pretty mechanicly inclined.

Scott

Its not hard. 2 bolts and the ball joints are all thats keeps them in.

Thanks for the advice guy's, you have led me in the direction of using that money for a full frontend rebuild kit and doing it right!

I don't mind spending the money, I just want the most bang for the buck :)

Scott

-
Back