U-joint?

-

Valkman

Reaction score
Had a front U-joint come loose on me the other day. Fortunately it didn't come of completely before I was able to pull off the road:steering:

I went ahead and had it towed to a shop and they were able fix it by just replacing the joint. One thing concerns me however, they told me that they didn't have press the bearing caps in the slip yoke end? The mechanic told me that the c-clip should be enough to keep it from coming out. What do you all think?

Had a front U-joint come loose on me the other day. Fortunately it didn't come of completely before I was able to pull off the road:steering:

I went ahead and had it towed to a shop and they were able fix it by just replacing the joint. One thing concerns me however, they told me that they didn't have press the bearing caps in the slip yoke end? The mechanic told me that the c-clip should be enough to keep it from coming out. What do you all think?
Are you saying that they just slid in? They should be a press fit. Is it possible they got the wrong u joints, or had the yolk egg out? I would never trust just the c clip to handle the torque

The press fit certainly does not keep the the thing together it IS the clip. However if you are saying that the cap was "finger tight" it's time to replace the yoke.

Having said that I've seen a few that you could start and push part way in with your fingers, and it did not take much of a "tap or two" to finish seating them.

Also yokes BEND!!! It does not take much to move the sides in/ out from pressing/ hammering and get them more or less in or out of line

Do you think a couple tac welds would be a good assurance, til I can get a replacement? Does and one hava sugestions as to where I can get a new one? I have a 833 4spd, with a 8.75 rear (it's a Challenger but I would think an a body would be the same).

Last edited:
Do you think a couple tac welds would be a good assurance, til I can get a replacement? Does and one hafeca sugestion as to where I can get a new one? I have a 833 4spd, with a 8.75 rear (it's a Challenger put I would an a body would be the same).
Welding will cause the grease to burn out of the caps. I believe the yoke would be the same from another 4 speed shaft. The shafts are different.

Welding will cause the grease to burn out of the caps. I believe the yoke would be the same from another 4 speed shaft. The shafts are different.
A couple of tacs shouldn't heat it up too much, do you think?

Do you think a couple tac welds .....

UNDER NO CONDITIONS do you weld on those. Burn the grease, deform the caps, might even cause cracking of the caps. The caps are HARDENED as are the bearing needles and the cross journals

If these don't seem "safe" you need to find a good drive shaft shop.

So I've been doing some searching, I take it a 7260 type yoke is what I need right? How may spines should it have?

Last edited:
30 spline/7260 joint sounds right.yokes can be had from brewers/passon and the bag.

30 spline/7260 joint sounds right.yokes can be had from brewers/passon and the bag.
Been doing service and restorations on primarily British cars, but lots of American iron for nearly 50years.
I would say, between 20-30 percent of the U-Joint cups on British cars spin quite happily in the yokes, have seen it on a few NA cars as well, have never seen it cause a problem. Once loose and spinning, they don't seem to cause any undue wear on the yokes. I even oil them occasionally, and, just let them spin.

Does make changing them much easier if they are a nice loose (but, not sloppy) hand push fit...

If you are really concerned, spray them up real good with brake clean to get rid of oil or grease, and, hit them up with some good wicking Loctite.

As others have said, DO NOT WELD THEM.........

I did talked to the mechanic who worked on it. He told me that was still a tight fit, but not a press fit and it would be fine. He felt that it came loose because the clip probably wasn't installed correctly in the 1st place., and from what I've seen with this car I'm not all that suprised.
Thanks all for your help!

Last edited:
If they were still a tight fit, they will be ok. The way I first understood was they were loose in there, which could cause wobble/ shake. Sounds like you are good to go

-
Back