U.S. dollar credit cards for Canadian members

-

demon seed

The Original Demon Seed
Reaction score
I've just been going over the thread that deals with shipping parts from the U.S. to Canada and thought I should mention (for those who don't allready know) a great way to pay for the stuff that severly limits US$ to Can$ credit card and bank conversion fees. First go to the Royal Bank or Bank of Montreal (not sure what Scotia or TD use but probably Mastercard) and sign up for a "U.S. Dollar" Visa or Mastercard. Pay for any purchases in the U.S. with this credit card and the bill will come to you in U.S. dollars and you'll pay it in U.S. dollars ***DO NOT USE THIS CARD WHEN PURCHASING CANADIAN STUFF IN CANADA****. At the same time you're at the bank open a U.S. dollar account to pay off the U.S. dollar credit card. Now you go online or a bank teller and transfer Can. dollars from your chequing or savings account to the U.S. dollar account and pay 1% service fee plus the conversion fee to the bank and pay off the U.S. dollar card bill when it comes either again on line or at the bank teller. You can even have Paypal clear to the U.S. dollar Visa card.

By doing this you only pay the Can$ to U.S.$ conversion fee and 1%, at the bank, and not to the credit card company who usually charge 3% for any purchases plus conv. fee , when they convert the U.S. purchase to Canadian dollars and send you the bill.

I know this is pretty long winded but works and I've been using my U.S. dollar card for years also when I holiday in the states, saves me a wak of money.

HEY! Great idea!

Now that's usein your dip stick Jimmmy!
er......
Sorry, Now that's usein your noodle Terry!

I was with you right up until the end when you mentioned saving a "...wak of money." Exactly how much is a "wak", eh? Damn Canadian slang...:snakeman:

I was with you right up until the end when you mentioned saving a "...wak of money." Exactly how much is a "wak", eh? Damn Canadian slang...:snakeman:

Well that's a good question, "WAK" can mean a lot or a little depending on the context. In this case between me and misses we probably spend 15-20K in the U.S. each year for long holidays and short holidays and car stuff and girlie stuff (for misses) so therefore 2% of 20K would be 400 somalies or bucks or dollars or $ or clams or I'll stop now.:-D

When I grew up, when I was bad my mom or dad would give me a WAK. So it's gotta be enough bills to produce that delicate yet forceful WAK sound when they slaps off your beehind.

Grant

-
Back