Update: 71 Demon SRT6

-

Hammer

Reaction score
So its been a little while, but progress has been made. The engine is mocked up in the car, ready for my machinist to come out and look at the clearance(or lack there of) that he'll be working with when he modifies the manifold for the turbo. Engine was built with all the goodies(custom cam, oversized valves, ported heads, ect). Had a hard time finding a turbo expert, but found a great one right here in the O! We originally discussed him rebuilding a Buick GNX turbo for me(he had one laying around his shop :happy2:) but ended up building me a custom one thats more "universal hookup" friendly. If anyone wants his info I'd HIGHLY recommend his shop. Scored a really nice intercooler of CL that will work nicely. Won a Offenhauser 4bbl intake on ebay for a fair price, and is just waiting to be installed :happy2:. Now for the fuel delivery...What a pain in the @#* that turned into. But after calling about 5 carburetor specialty shops all around the country, accidentally buying a CL carb that won't work on this motor, and toying with the idea of EFI; I found one in New Jersey that said they can do what I'm asking, with what I got(which is convert my Demon 625 4bbl to accept boost and stay happy). And thats pretty much where I'm at. I can put up more pictures up if ya'll want. I'm just feeling lazy tonight. Love to get some good input too.

Attachments

• slant 6.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 578
Sorry, that one was taken with my phone's camera. Here are some better ones.

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_4702.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_4703.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_4704.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 537
Good luck, and please keep us posted on progress!

I took the exhaust manifold to my machinist today to cut the heat riser portion off of it. Will be getting it back tomorrow to mock up the turbo in the engine compartment and figure out the exact details(thickness, angle) of the flange that needs to be fabricated. Looks like it will be a tight fit(but will fit). Will take some more pics tomorrow.

Yes!!! :cheers::cheers: Looking forward to all info on your great build Hammer :thumbrig::thumbrig:
Pictures and a complete cam selection :colors:

where are you sending the carb?? did he give u a ball park price?? there is a carb shop 1 mile from me,,there specialty is blower carbs,,,cars and boats,, they did my carbs for my blower,,like nite and day well worth the money spent,,, i can send you to him,,,,

where are you sending the carb?? did he give u a ball park price?? there is a carb shop 1 mile from me,,there specialty is blower carbs,,,cars and boats,, they did my carbs for my blower,,like nite and day well worth the money spent,,, i can send you to him,,,,

I sent the carb to Custom Rebuilt Carburetors in Middlesex, NJ. The carb is back in my possesion now. To be honest, I'm not sure if its gonna work how I want it to. On the invoice it says they put nitropyl floats and a light secondary spring. But from my understanding, on a blow through carb, the throttle shafts need to be pressure sealed. So I called them to talk to one of their techs about this and he said that demon carbs already have a very tight seal and it probably wasn't necessary. So I reassured him I wasnt an expert and trying to question his professional opinion, BUT from EVERYTHING I've read, some sort of precautions must be made to that effect. Then I referenced the differences on a Demon "blow through" carb and mine, and such. He told me that Barry Grant might just be "blowing smoke" with those selling points, trying to sell $600 carbs and that he thought it would be just fine, BUT he'd do a little research, and talk to guy he knew that deals with Demons more than him to see if more work must be done, and call me tomorrow. I believe they only charged me $245 which I thought was pretty cheap, but he told me my carb was in very good shape(which makes sense since I only ran it on my vette for about a year). And more pics are coming 6pakattack!! Should have some more up by the end of the week!

I sent the carb to Custom Rebuilt Carburetors in Middlesex, NJ. The carb is back in my possesion now. To be honest, I'm not sure if its gonna work how I want it to. On the invoice it says they put nitropyl floats and a light secondary spring. But from my understanding, on a blow through carb, the throttle shafts need to be pressure sealed. So I called them to talk to one of their techs about this and he said that demon carbs already have a very tight seal and it probably wasn't necessary. So I reassured him I wasnt an expert and trying to question his professional opinion, BUT from EVERYTHING I've read, some sort of precautions must be made to that effect. Then I referenced the differences on a Demon "blow through" carb and mine, and such. He told me that Barry Grant might just be "blowing smoke" with those selling points, trying to sell $600 carbs and that he thought it would be just fine, BUT he'd do a little research, and talk to guy he knew that deals with Demons more than him to see if more work must be done, and call me tomorrow. I believe they only charged me $245 which I thought was pretty cheap, but he told me my carb was in very good shape(which makes sense since I only ran it on my vette for about a year). And more pics are coming 6pakattack!! Should have some more up by the end of the week!

ok im no carb expert, but trust me the shop that did my carbs,,,they are the real deal,,,and not cheap,,if you want i could get you there number,,,call them talk with them,,ask questions,,dont tell them right off you had work done,,compare what they tell you,,
my stock carbs were ok after the blower (roots style) built heat,and they had a mind of there own,,,when it was cold or hot,,,orignally flowed 650 cfm,,,
now after modifing the throttle blades,,massaging the venturies,,,changing the squirters,,,they flow 862 cfm each,,,they made it a 4 corner idle circuit,,,demons come that way,,older hollys do not,,,

they drilled out the passages in the metering system,,,and put in jets,,,granted it flows a ton of fuel,,,but if you want HP you need fuel,,,

this car starts and idels right now,,every time,,,set ya right in the seat,,,a cold hard GRAND to do both,,,,

knickerson performance bristol PA talk to owner dean,,,,,brad his son

your guy said he would have to inquire, if he knew what he was doing he would already know,,,,

nickerson performance 215 781 1370 ,eastern time zone,, tell him the guy with the black barracuda sent ya

I called nickerson performance today, and he said that because the carb in question isn't a mechanical secondary, that it would not be a good canidate for a blow through carburetor. So I called Custom Rebuilt Carbs in NJ again and said this to him and asked what the deal was, and he told me after doing his research, the throttle shafts on my demon would be fine. When I mentioned I spoke to another carb shop and mentioned the secondary spring thing to him, he told me that they stand behind their work and if there is a problem(once I actually get the carb on the engine and run it with boost) that they would do everything they could to make it right if it doesnt run right. I'm sure that this road demon jr. wasnt a good canidate for a blow through from the gate. But after talking to this guy a few times, he seems pretty legit and definatly isnt trying to do me dirty. He seems very confident it will work. I'll be convinced once its on the car and running with full boost for a month or two...Next up!!...doing the turbo's oil plumbing. Will post pics when I get the parts in and start working...

I called nickerson performance today, and he said that because the carb in question isn't a mechanical secondary, that it would not be a good canidate for a blow through carburetor. So I called Custom Rebuilt Carbs in NJ again and said this to him and asked what the deal was, and he told me after doing his research, the throttle shafts on my demon would be fine. When I mentioned I spoke to another carb shop and mentioned the secondary spring thing to him, he told me that they stand behind their work and if there is a problem(once I actually get the carb on the engine and run it with boost) that they would do everything they could to make it right if it doesnt run right. I'm sure that this road demon jr. wasnt a good canidate for a blow through from the gate. But after talking to this guy a few times, he seems pretty legit and definatly isnt trying to do me dirty. He seems very confident it will work. I'll be convinced once its on the car and running with full boost for a month or two...Next up!!...doing the turbo's oil plumbing. Will post pics when I get the parts in and start working...

not trying to change your mind,,but he said,,after doing his " research" he shouldnt have to do research,,,he should know,,,i didnt realize your was a vacuum secondary,,it will not function properly,,, i had 2 750 cfm vacuum seconday carbs,,they were slow and lazy,,,not qucik or crisp,,, keep nickersons number,,,

and here I click on this expecting to see a supercharged, 3.2L, Crossfire engine in a Demon......nice trick! lol

So I bought and recieved most(but not all) of the plumbing items for the turbo's oil supply. Always wanted to use AN fittings, but never really had a good reason to drop the doe on them. But since I'm building this engine back up from scratch, I figured...what the hell. So What we have here is a 3/8 NPT(M) to -6AN(M) adapter to put in the oil sensor's spot; which will have a stainless steel braided line running from the 90 degree fitting up to the top of the engine. There it will hit the "T" fitting, which will have the -6AN(M) to 3/8 NPT(F) adapter connected to it so the oil sending unit can still be used and will be easier to get to(why its position would matter, I don't know; but just go with me on this one). From the "T" fitting the oil will go to the turbo. Then on the outlet, I have a -10AN hose running down to the 45 degree -10AN fitting which will be connected to the -10AN bulkhead fitting. And before anyone one says anything, I know I'm missing a couple fittings. But I promise they're already on the way here. Then the other photo is of my new 304 stainless steel exhaust flanges!!:cheers: Hopefully the header will be fab'd in a somewhat timely fashion. I can't actually assemble and connect any of this plumbing until I know exactly where the turbo is gonna sit in the engine bay. And of course I have an idea...but I want this to look badder than bad when its all done. So patience I must have...:wack:

Attachments

• dodge demon 002.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 214
  • dodge demon 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 238
  • dodge demon 001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 235
I hope you leave it all ratty-assed looking so when you eat some Mustangs and Camaro they really feel stupid. My turbo 69 Valiant is all shiny and pretty to look at and I seldom get to a chance to school the the other guys.

-
Back