Upper door and quarter Moldng for a 71 Duster Demon

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this molding while going through my parts. I only ever had one car years back with it on so I kept it. One piece was dented I found it after a long search at least 25 years back also.

I never saw any one wanting them , Or on any cars . Are these that rare . I kept them I thought they looked cool but I could never get myself to drill the holes in my Duster. I have pictures of them on the car that I can scan in. They actually connect the front and rear of the drip rail. I have looked and never saw them again. I also kept every fastener. Good thing I did.

I saw some of those on a 71 Demon I was looking at in Tennessee about 4 years ago, the guy that had it for sale told me they were rare, I really like the way they look, I would put them on my car if I had some, glad you saved them. I had saw several darts with them but never a Duster or Demon that I could recall.

I saw some of those on a 71 Demon I was looking at in Tennessee about 4 years ago, the guy that had it for sale told me they were rare, I really like the way they look, I would put them on my car if I had some, glad you saved them. I had saw several darts with them but never a Duster or Demon that I could recall.[/QUOTE0

I have been buying these cars for several years and never saw the molding. except on the car I bought and also the car I bought the extra pieces off of. The molding does look cool with tinted glass. I will scan some pictures in of the car I bought. when I get a chance . It was repainted green but was originally an Orange 340 Demon. I still have all the options but the tach if anyone know who bought the car from me. I believe it went to NY.

I picked over a 72 duster once that had em. That was the first time and last time i ve seen em

I'm curious. Whats this look like? Got pix ? I'm always learning.
I searched with no luck for a picture of this trim on a duster or demon, it was fairly common on darts, here's a picture of it on a dart, its the chrome trim. Just below the window glass on the quarter and door, I've only saw 1 1971 demon that had it.

IMG_20190609_165242.JPG

It's fairly rare for the Demon's and Dusters. I did manage to collect a set for my car so they are out there though. Here's a few pictures

IMG_7221 copy.JPG

480 71 demaon (19) copy.jpg

7244787062_31544b801f_k copy.jpg

here is where mine came from. someone on this site bought the car off of me years ago. I lost track of it since.I have everything for this car every option including the dash cluster and harness. The only thing that left here that was original on the car was the body and the paper work. If the person that bought the car needs the parts contact me.

loaded Demon orange d 001.jpg

Loaded Demon orange f 001.jpg

Loaded Demon orange g 001.jpg

loaded orange demon c 001.jpg

The first car looks very familiar, Duster 340 stick

I know the last car belonged to a member here, first one might have too. I save pictures of stuff like that in my “archives” for reference. But I don’t always save enough info to remember where I got it .

I know the last car belonged to a member here, first one might have too. I save pictures of stuff like that in my “archives” for reference. But I don’t always save enough info to remember where I got it .
It was my buddies car and I posted it looking for the moldings. They where missing on the other side. Very hard to find.

Ive only ever seen them on darts & demons, but I guess they also came on certain dusters. my current demon has them, as did my previous 71, 2 decades ago. luckly, Ive got all the pieces and clips..finding a missing section may not be too easy these days...
IMG_7795.jpg

Interesting mouldings. They really make the car. It looks like it was restorable.
It was hit in the back real hard Tail section and the quarters were brazed on from another car They overlaped it on the sides and butt welded the frames in front of the bumper . The car was a mess. It was originally EV2 with black stripes. I still have the fender tag info. Two tags. 45 k miles I still have the dash and the seats . Before AMD , No parts were available. Do I wish I would have kept it? Yes I do and many others.

Last edited:
Yep AMD now makes lots of parts now to restore em. Lots of em rotted away in the 80s and 90s before that stuff became available.

Belt line moulding, I believe, is what it’s called. I scoured Craigslist early last year, looking at any Duster projects or parts cars to see if any had the moulding. I lucked out and found a Duster in Virginia, I believe, that a guy was selling as a parts car. Fortunately, he agreed to ship the trim. Three pieces are in excellent condition, one quarter piece has a light dent/scratch that I think can be fixed fairly easily. If I remember correctly, I got the trim for $50 plus shipping or something like that, whatever it was, I thought it was dang cheap and readily bought them. They’re still in the package in my garage.

Last edited:
I never saw them on a Duster. I did get a Duster with one door replace and one piece on it. It could have been a Demon door. I cannot help commenting on the stripes on the black car.

I see the stripes put on almost all Demons wrong. The stripe Should not follow the body line like every one does. Back in the early 70's I installed factory stripes. the drivers side strip already had the fuel opening in it. So if you would install it that low it would not fit the contour of the wheel opening. One thing to remember when you install the stripes is the top of the stripe is even with the top of the handle. This positions the stripe at the correct height where is does notinterfere with the wheel opening.

Many of the after market stripes are cut to wide. Also there is a left and right stripe the upper and lower stripes are different widths and contours at the back they look like they should get switched but they don't. The fuel opening always would place the OEM stripes in the correct position. The first picture is a picture of a Demon on Mr Norms lot in 1971. Note the gas cap handle is stripe color. The front of the stripe is positioned with the bottom of the upper stripe on the body line. The rear should be the opposite. The top of the bottom stripe goes on the line . There is a top and a bottom stripe and there position on the correct side is cridical. I only saw one Demon at Carlisle last year with them correct and that was an original paint car in the show field.

Why do owners take all that time to build a car only to ruin their beautiful work with stripe installation with no research.

Now as it always goes. I do expect Demon owners with theirs on wrong to criticize me. That's much easier than correcting their stripes. I am in no way judging anyone's car I am just trying to inform those doing new builds. Lets make them how they were. if you say who cares it doesn't matter then paint them on. Just look at the black Demon above.

There was never a decal on the fuel cap, They were painted. White were gloss , Black were gloss or Matt black depending what stripe. Martin senior "black out" Paint reflect the same and looks the same as the textured stripe. I used it on my Duster and the paint matched the stripe perfect

Not many venders make the correct stripes or mark them left and right. I have tons of measurements from back then on original cars to prove myself. Who Cares? I Do Steve

Also the tail stripe from 71-72 are different and also positioned different. I have the offset measurements for 71. The 72's are squared and no decal flag.

18301964_1022974281169213_8041961905723350069_n.jpg

Picture 374.jpg

i11969.jpg

DSCN0338.JPG

scan0016.jpg

IMG_20180726_154405837_HDR.jpg

spoiler pics 205.jpg

spoiler pics 660.jpg

Last edited:
I was asked what I meant by the 72's being square? The 72 stripe was squared with the tail light when installed. Meaning the lower stripe is the same distance from the tail light as the upper. also this makes the painted space between the stripes narrower. And no flag for the Demon Decal. Thats right no Demon Decal on 72. The Demon head was gnne in 72

The 71 the lower stripe was farther from the tail light making the space between the stripes greater and note the stripe flag for the placement of the decal. The picture of the 72 is a members car on here. Orignal paint 72 GSS Demon also included above. The blue one is from a original paint 71 panel I took and pictured all the measurements from.

IMG_20180726_154410309_HDR.jpg

DSCF3030.JPG

I was asked what I meant by the 72's being square? The 72 stripe was squared with the tail light when installed. Meaning the lower stripe is the same distance from the tail light as the upper. also this makes the painted space between the stripes narrower. And no flag for the Demon Decal. Thats right no Demon Decal on 72. The Demon head was gnne in 72

The 71 the lower stripe was farther from the tail light making the space between the stripes greater and note the stripe flag for the placement of the decal. The picture of the 72 is a members car on here. Orignal paint 72 GSS Demon also included above. The blue one is from a original paint 71 panel I took and pictured all the measurements from.

View attachment 1715347904

View attachment 1715347905
Thanks! This is some very good information, i've been looking at the Demon stripes because I need to put them on mine, I have noticed the differences and now I know which is correct. Thanks again!

-
Back