• Poll closed .
-
where a located in CANADA

I know a place close to montreal who weld cast
I send a cummins block 2 months ago
when it came back no one could tell
where the crack were

it was broke where the engine mount goes in front of the block

That same ear broke off on my old 340,never fixed it & ran a home made torque strap/turn buckle with bushing from a gm sway bar link repair kit. still working to this day & runs low 12's.

Torque strap should work fine if you dont mind it there.
Hipo65, do you think at least 1 second of that low 12's is from the GM strap!! lol
Rod

Thanks for the References. I love this site.

I found a method to totally fix a water jacket crack. Not same as this problem but wanted to get it out for your info. I had a 3 corner crack in water jacket on 350 boat motor. A guy used a method called stitching. It can be done on anything. I had to tear down the block but he charged only $100. Pressure tested at twice the normal pressure and held for several years, I sold the boat and it was still good. A new marine short block was around $2000 so it was terrific deal.

So is this fixed yet? You've had enough time to have 100 mount ears welded back on. lol

I would not try to weld the broken piece back on. I would build the mount lug back up, re-drill and grind back to shape.

As a welder by training, I agree. You're not going to get that little nugget back on in such a way that the threads work. Buy a Nickel welding rod (Ni99 or similar) knock the flux off with a hammer, and use an oxy-fuel torch to build the area back up. I recommend the oxy fuel torch because the less concentrated heat will be less likely to crack the block somewhere else. Once you're done, cover the area in a rockwool or fiberglass blanket to keep it from cooling too fast.

There are no threads in the mounting ear. It is just a hole. WELD the thing. It will be fine.

-
Back