USA thru to medal round in hockey

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Go States. Tight game against the Swiss but we are in the medal round. Good luck to all Canadian member's/fans in your match against Russia.

Oldschoolcuda

Canada is presently putting a beating on Russia. Still 40 minutes to play though.

Good luck to both the US and Canada!!!

+1, no expert here, but I just cant see the Fins over USA, or the Slovs
over Canada!!

As far as the Canada/ Usa gold medal round goes... street brawl me thinks,
first team to make a mistake loses.

If they both Canada/U.S.A. get to the gold medal game it'll be payback time..GO CANADA!!!

I'd love to see a Canada\USA final. And, as stated, if it happens it will be a hard hitting, fast paced, street brawl, and one mistake from either could determine the final outcome. Let's do it guys. :)

I have no idea why this damn thing won't let me edit my last post, but what I meant was:

USA,USA,USA!!!!!

LOL! No matter what, it'll be a great game. Nothin like playing the next door neighbor in a game like this. Reminds me of when I was growing up. The games were crazy and tuff, but, at the games end, we all sat toghter and drank sodas telling each other "Wait till next time!" It was allways good.

I wasn't sure from the get go about the USA beating Canada. Whle watching the game, Canada's offense was on us like white on rice, choking! WOW!

I think we squeeeeeaked on by due to a few mistakes we were able to capitalise on along with Millers excellent effort against the onslaught offensive attack. (HOLY MOLY!, You guys were opressive!)

The best part of the game was the whole game, a reallygood fighting effort end to end with nobody ready to give up to play second bannana to the other. I fully (Hope & ) expect that the USA and Canada meet for the gold medal and have a game worthy of talk for the next 4 years and then some.

Again, I don't know if the USA can beat Canada again, but I'll be here cheering them on, waving the flag in a big way. This is going to be great!

BTW - not all that surprised that the Russian team crumbled under the pressure - they have the superstar power, but they only play for themselves - just like they do on their respective NHL teams. Eastern European players are generally very selfish and rarely play with much heart unless there is something in it for them.

I'm hoping to see a USA/Canada gold medal game - that would be epic. Canada's definetly got the skill, but the US team isn't a bunch of slackers, and what they lack in raw skill, they make up in heart and passion. Either way, I don;t see it a blow out in any direction - a close, physical game.

Just got to get by the Fins and Slovaks first - no easy task.

It always comes down to goaltending, especially in these one and out deals. The Swiss nearly upset the US because of Hiller in net, the US was dominated by Canada in their game but Miller stole it for them. I have no idea what the Russians were thinking leaving Nabakov in net for 6 goals, that's bad coaching to go with bad goaltending. Would have been a real nail biter if they went with Brzgalov ( I have no idea how to spell that)

Should be a US/Canada final and with Lou in goal that may make the difference but you never know, Miller is the best goalie in the world at the moment so that's always scary.

It always comes down to goaltending, especially in these one and out deals. The Swiss nearly upset the US because of Hiller in net, the US was dominated by Canada in their game but Miller stole it for them. I have no idea what the Russians were thinking leaving Nabakov in net for 6 goals, that's bad coaching to go with bad goaltending. Would have been a real nail biter if they went with Brzgalov ( I have no idea how to spell that)

Should be a US/Canada final and with Lou in goal that may make the difference but you never know, Miller is the best goalie in the world at the moment so that's always scary.

The Swiss played real well in this tournament - took Crosby 2 shots in the SO for Canada to top 'em. I wouldn't call a US 2-0 shutout win over the Swiss "nearly an upset."

You guys up north need to quit with the excuses - Miller certainly did keep us in that game, but I'd say the 5 goals we scored is what won the game. Sorry, but no team, not even mighty Canada can win a game on scoring chances.

The Swiss played real well in this tournament - took Crosby 2 shots in the SO for Canada to top 'em. I wouldn't call a US 2-0 shutout win over the Swiss "nearly an upset."

You guys up north need to quit with the excuses - Miller certainly did keep us in that game, but I'd say the 5 goals we scored is what won the game. Sorry, but no team, not even mighty Canada can win a game on scoring chances.

In the Swiss game you guys had a goal that was reviewed and disallowed re-reviewed, first time I've ever seen a review of a review. It went in your favour and then you got an empty net goal, I would call that very, very near to an upset.

I'm not making excuses, did you even watch the game? Canada flat out dominated the game but Miller was incredible and Brodeur wasn't good at all. Plain and simple Miller won it for you and Brodeur lost it for us, if Miller would have been in goal for Canada and Broduer for the US, it would have been 8-2 for Canada. I don't look at the games with rose colored glasses, I call it the way I see it. If we had been outlplayed the way you were and won I would be the first one to say how lucky we were to have our goalie steal the show. If we do meet in the final and you outplay, outshoot, outchance us and lose I'll be here saying how lucky we were to win it. I sure won't be saying how much better our team was because we had the one and most important player winning it for us.

Having said all that, it's far from a done deal that we meet in the final, both teams have a tough semi to get through.

In the Swiss game you guys had a goal that was reviewed and disallowed re-reviewed, first time I've ever seen a review of a review. It went in your favour and then you got an empty net goal, I would call that very, very near to an upset.

I'm not making excuses, did you even watch the game? Canada flat out dominated the game but Miller was incredible and Brodeur wasn't good at all. Plain and simple Miller won it for you and Brodeur lost it for us, if Miller would have been in goal for Canada and Broduer for the US, it would have been 8-2 for Canada. I don't look at the games with rose colored glasses, I call it the way I see it. If we had been outlplayed the way you were and won I would be the first one to say how lucky we were to have our goalie steal the show. If we do meet in the final and you outplay, outshoot, outchance us and lose I'll be here saying how lucky we were to win it. I sure won't be saying how much better our team was because we had the one and most important player winning it for us.

Having said all that, it's far from a done deal that we meet in the final, both teams have a tough semi to get through.

I didn't say the US wasn't outplayed, but the end result is what's important - the win doesn't need to be further qualified. Now if it was a shootout win and a one-goal difference, that's a different story - the point is that although Canada carried the play for most of the game - the US actually capitalized on it's chances and scored 5 goals. Give team US credit for a playing a smart game. They were willing to block pucks, use the body, and just do what needed to be done to win.

Yes, I did watch the game.

The US may very well have woken the sleeping beast, because Canada didn't look all that impressive up until the Germany game, but I'm not going to panic because you guys trounced an unprepared, unmotivated Russian team that was clearly overrated. All the talent, but no team.

We'll see what happens if they meet again - I can garuntee the US will put up a better fight than Russia did.

I didn't say the US wasn't outplayed, but the end result is what's important - the win doesn't need to be further qualified. Now if it was a shootout win and a one-goal difference, that's a different story - the point is that although Canada carried the play for most of the game - the US actually capitalized on it's chances and scored 5 goals. Give team US credit for a playing a smart game. They were willing to block pucks, use the body, and just do what needed to be done to win.

Yes, I did watch the game.

The US may very well have woken the sleeping beast, because Canada didn't look all that impressive up until the Germany game, but I'm not going to panic because you guys trounced an unprepared, unmotivated Russian team that was clearly overrated. All the talent, but no team.

We'll see what happens if they meet again - I can garuntee the US will put up a better fight than Russia did.

My original comment on all this was about how goaltending is the name of the game and I stand by that. When one goalie outplays the other by a wide margin and gets the win people will always comment on it, or quailfy it I guess. Basically it was a one goal difference, the 5th goal you got was an empty net one and maybe the nicest I've ever seen. Until then there was quite a flurry in your end so it was far from a ho hum we won by 2 goals kind of game. I'm a Canucks fan so I was happy to see Kessler get that goal, he's turned into quite a player.

I was shocked to see the poor effort by the Russians, they're goaltending certainly didn't help their cause. I was expecting a close game but we beat them in all areas without them putting up any fight. While winning is always what you want, a closer game is far more exciting.

I fully expect the US, should we meet in the final and I hope we do, to play a far more inspired game than the Russians did. The last game was truly a great game to watch and I'm sure every player on the US team knows they'll have to play far better than they did in the last one if they expect to win. If Luongo keeps playing well Miller will have to be even better than he has been and that's a tall order.

My original comment on all this was about how goaltending is the name of the game and I stand by that. When one goalie outplays the other by a wide margin and gets the win people will always comment on it, or quailfy it I guess. Basically it was a one goal difference, the 5th goal you got was an empty net one and maybe the nicest I've ever seen. Until then there was quite a flurry in your end so it was far from a ho hum we won by 2 goals kind of game. I'm a Canucks fan so I was happy to see Kessler get that goal, he's turned into quite a player.

I was shocked to see the poor effort by the Russians, they're goaltending certainly didn't help their cause. I was expecting a close game but we beat them in all areas without them putting up any fight. While winning is always what you want, a closer game is far more exciting.

I fully expect the US, should we meet in the final and I hope we do, to play a far more inspired game than the Russians did. The last game was truly a great game to watch and I'm sure every player on the US team knows they'll have to play far better than they did in the last one if they expect to win. If Luongo keeps playing well Miller will have to be even better than he has been and that's a tall order.

With the exception of maybe a helmet rule and no-touch icing - and the no fighting - maybe, just maybe the NHL will learn a thing or two about good hockey. These Olympic games have been phenominal - just so exciting. Get all those damn ticky-tack penaty calls out of the NHL game and let them play the way hockey is supposed to be played. I seriously can't remember the last time I've watched hockey that was this inspired and exciting.

BTW - I was thoroughly disappointed in the Russians - disappointed, not surprised. as I said in a previous post, those Eastern European players are notorious for being egotistical, and self-serving (at least to me they are - as it relates to hockey). I was expecting a war.

I don't mind the no touch icing, kind of tired of seeing guys getting near killed when they go back for the puck.

Don't forget that the main reason the games are so good is you have the very best players in the world out there. It would be great if we had 30 teams with the talent base of these top teams. As long as you have to fill out your lineup with plumbers you're going to trap, clutch, grab and get crappy penalties. It's a shame but true.

Personally I was surprised with the Russian effort, I know what you're saying but they usually have a bigger interest in the Olympics than maybe they do in a Stanley Cup. I was especially surprised that OV didn't have a better game, he's one Russian that does play with heart.

Well, let's hope we both get through and then have a barn burner in the final :-D

Best hockey players in the world STILL come from Canada!!!...i was glad to see ovechkin do nothing last night..anyone see the interview with Jeremy Roenick before the game ,Ovechkin said he is the best player in the world.lol didn't look like it last night..lol...

Best hockey players in the world STILL come from Canada!!!...i was glad to see ovechkin do nothing last night..anyone see the interview with Jeremy Roenick before the game ,Ovechkin said he is the best player in the world.lol didn't look like it last night..lol...

Actually I do think OV is the best player in the world but no, not last night. If he was Canadian there wouldn't be many Canadians disputing that. Canada produces the most elite players but that doesn't mean they're all the best players. If you could make up your own team with all the players available it wouldn't be an all Canadian team. For starters OV would be on my team and I'll take Chara while I'm at it, even Don Cherry would grudgingly do that :-D

-
Back