Value of 73 Chally

-

Brandon Weaver

Reaction score
A buddy of mine contaced me last night asking if I was looking for a challenger. I'd actually been looking at newer challengers, and thought thats what he was referring to. Nope.

Turns out, a distant cousin of his has got a 73 for sale. He took me out to see it today. 318 4bbl, slapstick, white buckets, b5 (i think?) lift off 6pak hood.

It's by no means a cherry, hasn't run in 6 years, hasn't been on the road since 2000. The floors are solid but the trunk is starting to rust out (pinholes). The piece below the rear window is rusted out (common, I know) but the rockers and quarters seem solid. Mice have gotten into the interior and ruined the back seat (all I the damage I could see, no pics) but by the size of the black shake shed I found I think they are long gone. Stupid me didn't think to get the fender tag, but the vin don't read anything funky (318 2bbl, high price class)

The car was wrecked sometime in the 90s, the passenger fender was replaced, but the radiator support is still mangled. I still think the body is square though. And the fiberglass hood is trashed. He may have the original hood in a barn, hopefully the ducktail is there as well...

Anyways, the owner decided last week that he wants to sell it but don't know a price. Supposedly he seen one in better shape that ran and drove sell for $1500. If he could get this car to fire up and move under it's own power I'd pay $1500 for this one I think...

What say ye? Whats it worth?

That is worth 1500. all day long .....those are getting really hard to find and even if it didn't run ......15 all day and night long.

Buy it rusted out junk is selling for $5k and up.

That is worth 1500. all day long .....those are getting really hard to find and even if it didn't run ......15 all day and night long.

Those were my thoughts. I'm not sure I'll be able to go over 2k, seeing how I've already got one toy and other responsibilities, but we'll see where it goes. I love these cars and think itd be neat as all get out to have, seeing how they just really aren't around anymore. I'm not looking to rob the guy blind though.

All Day Long at $1500. I'd take as many as he had !!

Rani's on the money.. These pony car prices( all brands..!) , are climbing up. Been watching Mercury Cougars, they are 3-5 k, for a fixable turd. Wanting a certain model, costs money.

You'll never get it for under $2k if he's seen Barrett-Jackson! I'm sure his adoring price will be more in line with what it's really worth....at least $5k!!

I should have my butt kicked for buying only 2 of those wheels. May never find 2 more
:( . As for the car... the price is right. One could part it out for profit.

Anyways, the owner decided last week that he wants to sell it but don't know a price. Supposedly he seen one in better shape that ran and drove sell for $1500. If he could get this car to fire up and move under it's own power I'd pay $1500 for this one I think...

What say ye? Whats it worth?

I'd pay 1500 for that without an engine and trans!!!

you could triple your money on that car, and never touch it! 1500 is a giveaway price for a "E" body of any year......

I sold my72 Rally 340 with an 18 spline Hemi 4 speed for $1,500 in 1995

It need frame rails trunk pan, floors repaired, Dutchman panel ( panel under the rear window) a pillars repaired, firewall repaired, radiator support also had rust holes. It also got beat with a metal stake that was holding a tarp down on the hood and front fender, thought I was going to cry when I seen it. Would have been better to have left it uncovered.

I could sell the transmission for what I sold the car, plus I gave the guy a bunch of parts and the number matching 340 that might be rebuild able. The car was a running driving car, not safe but did drive. Today that same car would be a $5,000 car. E bodies are crazy priced.

I would buy it for $1,500 right now, no hesitation, it is worth more in parts than that.

If you have the chance, the extra cash and a place to store it DO IT NOW, what are you waiting for? Had a friend make be a smoking deal on something he wanted to sell and I told him you could get more money out of it. I can kick myself everyday for passing. I just bought one and paid $1,500 for it plus $100 to the people that picked it up in Wisconsin and brought back to Indiana for me. The only difference it was the right color so didn't ave to get it painted.

If they set the price and are ok, you don't try and talk them down, with it then buy it!

Bought a 67 coronet 500 4 door for $200 I could have gotten it running in the kids driveway, but loaded on my trailer and took it home, 5 minutes after getting it home got it running and backed it off the trailer, sometimes best to leave well enough alone. Also bought a Honda 350-4 the seller told me the advertised price of $350 was cut in 1/2 due to it not running. Guy was riding it and it quit, ask him if I get it running I still buy it for $175, he said yes. Pulled the spare fuse out and replaced the blown fuse and rode off for $175

I should have my butt kicked for buying only 2 of those wheels. May never find 2 more
:( . As for the car... the price is right. One could part it out for profit.

You just dont find these anymore. Part it out ???? Heres your sign :sign3:

That's a $10k car here in Atlanta right now. There's one on CL about five hours from me for $5k with no motor, trans, or interior, and rot in every panel possible. I'd jump on that for $1,500, running or not

It's worth 1,500 but you need to be certain you want the car for what it is, not the price or what it will end value will be.

Keep in mind that car will be worth 25-30k when it's done. Maybe 35k if you build a really nice big block clone car. It will cost at least 30k to do the car over and that's being very conservative. I've done 2 now. As in done right, beginning to end. Figure 10k-15k for the engine ad transmission, 10 to 20 for paint and 5 to 10 for the interior.

Went and seen it with dad. (He's a bodyman) I wanted his opinion on the car. Someone was actually home, turned out it was the owners father. I have no clue where the owner is. The father kept referring to the car as a '71, told us the car was built from 3 different cars, never got more than 8mpg, yadda yadda. Dad and I looked fairly hard, but could not find a fender tag? Where are they located on these cars? Dad also discovered that after being put together it had been repainted. Not once, not twice, but three times. White, and then two different shades of blue. And all three coats were peeling off (dad guessed from poor bodywork/prep, he was not the least bit confident in what was underneath.) There were some rust bubbles on the roof, dad noted that they were bad enough that a roof skin would be the best choice. He said, sure, you could 'glass over it, but it would only be a temporary and shoddy solution. I agreed. The dad has the original hood and hinges in the barn, unsure on the spoiler. He then went on to ask us how much we thought this car was worth. When we said we didn't really know, he then informed us that he had seen these cars sell online from 13k-130k. When dad tried reasoning, saying the expensive cars are most likely HEMI/desirable/highly optioned/rare, the dude replied with 'its cuz the owners got so much time in them'. He then went on to lecture me on how awful old cars are, and expensive, and a bear to drive, etc. Even after I informed him that I had one and dailyed it for a few months at a time. Almost like he was trying to persuade me NOT to buy it...

If I can actually talk with the owner, I think I will offer up to 2500. Thats if he can get it to at least sputter, and produces a title that matches the vin (a real concern).

Yes rocco, I plan on buying the car for me (not looking to make a quick buck) and know it won't be worth a lot. My family is in the bodywork business, so that would be a little discounted, and if I get it the plan is a decent street bruiser. Not 'really nice' in a show car enthusiasts eye, but just a decent car that pleases me. 3k in suspension, 10k in drivetrain altogether, bodywork is an unknown (who knows what's under that paint) and most likely less than 5k in interior. What makes me happy is driving them.

-
Back