Valve Spring Help

-

MISTUHH REED

Reaction score
ok so im rebuilding a 318 and im taking the heads in to get flux, and migged so im taking the springs out so they can machine them and also so i can replace the valve stem seals. so i rented a valve spring compressor for advance auto parts and the springs wont compress to remove the keepers and the springs. i followed the directions and i cant get them.

any help?

I have allways had poor luck with those large comtraptions. I perfurrr the cave man way;

Grab socket slightly smaller in daimeter than the retainer and wack with small BFH. (Big Freakin Hammer)

The shocking force has the locks (Keepers) jump out of the retainer and all comes apart.

and how does he put ot all back together lol.Why because i will soon face the same job.i thought of renting a spring compresser.tell us sencee we are young grasshoppers

ha lol ill try tht. but yea how would i put it together? lol and snake dont rent one from advance, its a 50$ deposit and i am now an owner of that darn tool because it ended up bending. Epic Fail =(

I know this is a little late, but I am a store manager for advance and those tools have lifetime warr. They should still take it back.. They just have to call the 1-800 number and they will be sent a new one.. Dont let them scam you!!!

I just got my Magnum heads yesterday and purchased a $20 super wiz bang valve spring compressor tool at Sears.

After 2 valves I gave up and used Rumble's idea.....deep well 9/16 socket and small sledge hammer. One or two whacks and keepers were out.

Just watch your hand holding the socket.

I have a spring compressor that I bought at Sears for around $40 and it works fine. Before you try to compress the springs you need to hit the retainer a few times around the edge with a hammer. This will loosen the keepers hold on the retainer than compress the spring with the tool and pull the keepers out.

yeah, locks are stuck to retainers. I woudlnt use a socket and hammer to take them off. I have a hard enough tiem chasing keepers using the right tools... nevermind parts under pressure flying all over.

The kind of spring compressor that grabs the springs needs a lil wack with a small hammer to free the locks/retainer, I have one.

The kind from sears/craftsman holds the retainer on one side and reaches around the head to hold the valve head while you squeeze the handle, like a caulking gun, compressing it all. It's the no air compressor version and works great! I have one of those as well.

-
Back