Valve Springs

-

Marcelo Dart BR

Reaction score
I'm buying some parts for my new heads, they will be early 318 heads with 2.02" and 1.60" valves.

I have a question... I already have the MP 284/.528" solid cam, the heads are slightly ported with stock valves. My springs are single with damper from Elgin. They are working well, since I rev the engine to about 6000 rpm. With the new heads I hope to get more rpm, so I don't know if these springs will work. Really don't know.

I was thinking about some dual springs, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0258405410&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What should I do?

Did ya look at the springs that are matched for the cam by MoPar yet?

Seat Load: 195@ 1.800
Open Load: 560@ 1.175

those comp springs will kill that cam...

mopar spring recommend is P5249847....

or something that is similar...

If you have to much pressure from the spring, it will wipe the cam out and destroy it.

MoPar has valve springs for this cam allready matched up and are a bolt on deal. The Comp Cam springs need to have machine work on the head first before you can put them on. There smaller in diameter.

OH, I just seen the link. The MP springs are stiff single springs with a damper inside the spring.

Your thinking you need better springs for more rpms?????????

The cam has a effective rpm range and the springs you have are working fine so a little more rpm won't hurt any thing.

Even a bump up to 6500 rpms should be fine.
Check with engle on the springs max lift and rpm.

Get the mopar high lift single spring if you really think you need new springs

Single springs are good up to 6500 - 6700.

There is only three things to be concerned with.
Open and closed pressure and the max rpm rate of the spring.

You might just be able to use the ones you have if only going up a little in rpms.

Well, thanks for the explanations.

I think my definitions were kinda wrong. So I think the extra pressure of the double springs are most for roller cams and stuff like that.

I don't have the specifications of my springs, but I remember they were very similar to the P5249847. They have less than 600 miles on them, so I presume I'm OK with them.

-
Back