Vehicle Purchase Rant

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Just need to vent and rant a little.....

This week I inquired about purchasing a vehicle that my employer owns. I talked to the owner directly and he said he'd sell me the vehicle but I needed to see what it was worth, etc and let him know. So, I talked to a few individuals who deal with the truck first hand checked KBB, etc and went up there this afternoon to let him know.

Upon telling him the price he said he would take only half that which was obviously fine by me!

Well, the CFO was in there as well and then they both kinda backpedaled and said they should probably post it for sale in the shop and offer it to everyone and basically auction it as best offer wins. They said that would be the "fair" thing to do!! I'm like WTF?! I told them that it's not my problem and that everyone else had the same opportunity to ask and inquire about it as I have!
The owner seems to think that no one else would want it but I know different. I told him I would cut him a check right there too!

Anyways, just very irritated and kinda pi$$ed off. He told me he would sell it to me on Tuesday, now it's "not fair" unless everyone else has a chance. What a crock!
So now I have to wait until next weekend to see if someone will outbid me on it. The truck just sits in the materials yard and the registration expired in March. They don't use it for anything and acquired it from another shop he bought out.

Truck is a 96' Dodge 2500 Cummins 12V 5sp manual 4x4 standard cab w/a new flat bed.
It's pretty beat up from the tennis ball sized hail we got 3 weeks ago and the windshield is cracked in several places. Truck has 236,000mi on it. Interior needs a deep clean and new seats. Owner said he would sell it to me for $2000 but then backpedaled. Truck is worth at least double that I'm sure.
I want it for yard work and to use as a work truck instead of the Magnum. Also, I thought about getting a 40s Power Wagon and do a Cummins and drivetrain swap into it. For now though its main purpose would be the yard/work truck.

A coworker said he was going to try and buy it a few months ago but never asked. He wants to do a Cummins swap into his 99' Powerstroke.

Now I have to try and outbid these guys!! Arghh!

Anyways, on a positive note, the new PCM fixed the Magnum! lol

a man is worth only as much as his word
sound like your working for a guy not worth a stamp

IF I even went to that auction. I would just stand there with my arms crossed and not bid once.

A man has nothing, if not his word.

It may work out to your advantage. If no ne else bids on it, you may get it for peanuts....

That's what happens when a bean counter gets involved. Withdraw your offer and let them eat it. Sounds like a real POS

Yeah, I'm thinking about just dropping it.
However, it would be funny if I just offered $1500 and won the best offer, lol. That way it would teach them a lesson about being greedy. I'd just be like, well, could've gotten $500 more a week ago! haha

if you're sure you want the truck, don't let the BS stop you - I would canvas the shop and see if there is anyone else to worry about bidding - if there isn't - LOW BALL it. It'll be a total win/win - you get the truck cheaper and get to teach the boss a little lesson..

if you're sure you want the truck, don't let the BS stop you - I would canvas the shop and see if there is anyone else to worry about bidding - if there isn't - LOW BALL it. It'll be a total win/win - you get the truck cheaper and get to teach the boss a little lesson..

there ya go, buy a box of donuts, and put the donuts somewhere else at the time of the auction so your the only one there to bid

there ya go, buy a box of donuts, and put the donuts somewhere else at the time of the auction so your the only one there to bid
yep!!!! HA....
jerk off people can really piss a person off. yep that truck beat up or not unless something major wrong is worth quit a bit more at least round here. but if me I would just bid a lowball, and if ya win,.... then when time to pay make him think he might not get his $$ ! ha

Update:

They sent a company email out and posted fliers all over the shop on Wednesday listing it as an auction sale. Starting price is $1500.

Basically nearly everyone in the shop has heard how the owner backed out of our deal to auction it....needless to say, no one as put a bid on it as of this afternoon! lol

I stopped by this afternoon to check with HR about it and she said she's had many questions but no offers. She told me she heard what the owner did and basically hinted that I'll be able to make the last bid to win the truck....depending on how much I'm willing to spend. I put the first bid down at $1550. lol

out-f-ing-standing!

Yep, I'm just hoping when I go in tonight that the bid isn't higher. lol HR is posting the bid amount in the break room for all to see.

A lot of the guys even said it would be funny and serve him right if I was the only one that bid on it and got it for basically the start price, lol.

I talked to a few individuals who were actually going to put bids in on it until they heard how I got the shaft.

Even the plant manager was going around telling people to not bid on it. I think he was more upset than I was about it. He even told me he thought about bidding it just to win it and just straight up give it to me!! lol

when times comes for him to sign over the title, what makes ya think he will if the $$ isn't enough to suit him at that time?? funny can be real funny, asshole jerks, ya name when a couple of $$ is concerned! ha hope ya get the truck for plenty cheap. will serve him right. that 12 valve Cummins is a million mile engine. the 24 valves one might be too.

I agree it isn't right if he agreed to sell it then didn't.
BUT I can see how it could be a ton of aggravation if he had sold it to you and not let anyone else know or make an offer. It's just human nature to feel like you missed out on a great deal even though most people wouldn't cough up the cash for it.
I hope you get it for $1500. He'll look like the doofus but at least he won't hear fifty people whining a

I agree it isn't right if he agreed to sell it then didn't.
BUT I can see how it could be a ton of aggravation if he had sold it to you and not let anyone else know or make an offer. It's just human nature to feel like you missed out on a great deal even though most people wouldn't cough up the cash for it.
I hope you get it for $1500. He'll look like the doofus but at least he won't hear fifty people whining a
Yeah, he was in a tough place. Either piss you off or hear crap from anyone else who may of wanted it. But once he committed to it, well.

Bullshit, He backs out of a the deal he made you? It's a good thing it wasn't me he did that to. I would have told him to keep it! And that I wouldn't give him a c-note for it. I can't think of a single thing in this world I want or need that I would tolerate a bottom feeder like that.

Not only would I NOT buy the truck, but I would be looking for another job. If he does something that underhanded, he's not fit to work for. What else might he do? He has zero integrity.

Well, as of yesterday, the bid was up to $1928.

HR sent an email asking for final offers. I put in $2100. Never heard back after that. She had been emailing my personal account and my work account. I emailed her asking what the winning amount was but still never heard back. Pretty frustrating. My wife could tell I was pretty irritated too, lol.

So I guess I'll find out Monday morning. I go in Sunday night to open shop. She was posting the bid amounts in the break room so maybe I'll find out then.

Many coworkers were also bringing up the owner's integrity as well.

I agree that there would probably been others mad if he just sold the truck to me outright and that the owner may have been trying to avoid that. However, who cares if you know you're not going to make everyone happy and I wouldn't have been so upset if he had just made that decision when I first asked him about it instead of telling me he'd sell it to me.

Thing I hate to hear is "don't take it personal, it's only business". Well, when it affects us personally, we tend to take it personal. As well we should.

-
Back