very mild 360 build.

-
carb probably a 600 holley. i have a variety of carbs here though.

not sure on compression. lucky if its 8 to 1.
The 600 holley sounds good. That's good that you have a assortment of carbs to pick from. The hughes cam with its early ivc, will that help build cylinder pressure? I think that I've read on this forum that 8.0:1- 8.5:1 is good for a mild build.

The 600 holley sounds good. That's good that you have a assortment of carbs to pick from. The hughes cam with its early ivc, will that help build cylinder pressure? I think that I've read on this forum that 8.0:1- 8.5:1 is good for a mild build.

seems like most want 9 to 1. no way is this thing getting to 9. lol

i think it should run nice. i was happy with it all stock with a 780 carb and headers. freshened up, small cam, right size carb, low gearset trans and a hair more gear I'm thinking should run like i want.

i think it should run nice. i was happy with it all stock with a 780 carb and headers. freshened up, small cam, right size carb, low gearset trans and a hair more gear I'm thinking should run like i want.
Thinner head gaskets will give a smidge up in compression, smidge, but that goes in the plus column. That and good three angle valve job mild cam its gonna be an edge up from what it was. Torque come in low scoot the small car along.

Thinner head gaskets will give a smidge up in compression, smidge, but that goes in the plus column. That and good three angle valve job mild cam its gonna be an edge up from what it was. Torque come in low scoot the small car along.

instead of re-doing my heads my buddy has a set on the shelf they were done years ago i'll and never used that have a 3 angle valve job and have been surfaced. i'm sure there wasn't much cut on them but anything helps.. i'm gonna buy them from him. . the head gaskets that came off measured about .032. i found a set of mr gasket head gaskets that measure .028 compressed so i ordered those.

instead of re-doing my heads my buddy has a set on the shelf they were done years ago i'll and never used that have a 3 angle valve job and have been surfaced. i'm sure there wasn't much cut on them but anything helps.. i'm gonna buy them from him. . the head gaskets that came off measured about .032. i found a set of mr gasket head gaskets that measure .028 compressed so i ordered those.
Perfect... You want everything together and running for a bit so that you can chase any "gremlins" before the trip

Perfect... You want everything together and running for a bit so that you can chase any "gremlins" before the trip

yea i do. when i put the motor in that is in it now i drove it around for a couole of weeks, then took it on a 3 hour trip.. this trip is a bit further so i'd like a good amount of miles on it before the trip..lol

worst case i have to take the mustang. rather not but it is an option.

yea i do. when i put the motor in that is in it now i drove it around for a couole of weeks, then took it on a 3 hour trip.. this trip is a bit further so i'd like a good amount of miles on it before the trip..lol

worst case i have to take the mustang. rather not but it is an option.
I'd be worried about the machine shop not turning your block around quickly... I know for me; I'd get burned and I wouldn't get the block back till September :rolleyes:
I hope for your sake that they are quick!!

whys that? I don't see them mention anything about that on the site. curious now.
Your OEM heads have a valve guide seal to retainer clearance that limits camshafts with .444" intake and about .452" exhaust. The factory 340 cam was ground with mild lift numbers for this reason. To install a larger camshaft lift you will need +.050" valve keepers. For instance, installing a camshaft with .480" lift will likely defile your valve seal do to limited clearance. Your multi-grove keepers are the other issue at hand. They may not be available in +.050. Therefore you will need some crower +.050 spring retainers, or have a machinist knock the guides down -.050" not recommended. That's the reason most Mopar cams are Low lift long duration, until you get into aftermarket valvetrains.

Good Luck!

so no work on the motor today. ordering parts..

rings, bearings and gaskets were ordered.

just got off the phoine with pete at bergmanautocraft.com and orderd one of his Borgeson steering box kits and some Bilstein shocks for the car. been wanting to get the damn KYB's off of it for years now..

i'd like to change the 1" torsion bars out for some 1.08 bars but i don't want to spend that extra money just yet..

just got off the phoine with pete at bergmanautocraft.com and orderd one of his Borgeson steering box kits and some Bilstein shocks for the car. been wanting to get the damn KYB's off of it for years now..

i'd like to change the 1" torsion bars out for some 1.08 bars but i don't want to spend that extra money just yet..

I’ve used Bergmanauto craft before and had the pleasure to me the man himself at the shop which was very big with a crazy list of expensive cars when I was up in Huntington L.I.

Stand up guys.

Honestly not sure what kind of "seat of the pants" difference the slight bump in compression results in as opposed to other changes. My 360 has a stock bottom end as well.. dished pistons .100 in the hole with a 268H cam (.450/.450). I used a set of 1:6 ratio roller rockers so valve lift is likely a hair over .480 on both sides. Still less lift than the cam you posted above. My pre refresh CR was likely 8:1 at best.. maybe lower. Put a set of 63cc closed chamber heads on and CR is just over 9:1 now. Running a 625cfm Holley vac secondary, TTI shorty's and full x pipe exhaust. Have been very happy with the lil SB. Pulls nice from go up to 5k and get decent vacuum even being at 5k altitude. Think your keep it simple approach will yield very positive results.

:thumbsup:

If it's in the budget.. I'd recommend some QA1 single adjustable. Cannot explain how much better these are than stock shocks... feels like a different car with them on all 4 corners and you can dial them in to your ride preference and style. Liked them so much I put them on all 4 corners of my Ford as well.

My2c.

I’ve used Bergmanauto craft before and had the pleasure to me the man himself at the shop which was very big with a crazy list of expensive cars when I was up in Huntington L.I.

Stand up guys.

yea i bought the tti exhaust and rear springs i have on the car now from pete. good guy to deal with.

well my stupid *** forgot my phone today so i didn't get any pictures..

i finished cleaning up i think everything that will be re used..
pulled the fresh heads i'm buying from my buddy apart to clean and machine for the valve seals. that was cool, never done it before.

oiled and slid the valves back in the heads and will assemble when the new springs and all get here...

i walked in the door at home at about 5pm, looked at my phone and there was a message from the shop saying my block was done.. of all days to forget my phone.. i called and asked how long they would be there.. he was like i'm setting the alarm now... oh ****. can't get it till wednesday now... i'm only 5 minutes away from the shop so he agreed to hang out till i got there.. block is in my posession again.. :) will take it to my buddies wednesday and we will move along with the project. probably finish hand polishing the crank first, then move to the block.

there has also been a change to the cam choice.. i called hughes to order the springs and everything but some of the stuff was out of stock... between that and the not so warm and fuzzy feeling he gave me on the phone i decided to email oregon cams to get a recommendation from him. he got back to me quickly, got back to my reply quickly which i liked. i called a friend (tom) that knows much more about cams them i do and we talked. he knows toregon from the ford FE guys.. says ken has a great reputation with those guys... he told me if i order from them get the 1522 cam.. so yesterday i called oregon and talked ot ken for a few minutes and ordered the 1522 cam, lifters, retainers and locks.. he says 3 weeks.. i gotta say i felt much better in the gut talking with him then i did the guy at hughes...

here are the specs for the new cam. i know my buddy dave who is helping me with all this work feels better about the lower lift. he was worried about reliability with that higher lift that the hughes cam has. my buddy tom who i run just about anything i do to any of my cars by (have been for 30+ years) really liked that hughes cam and thought it would be awesome for what i want.. but not knowing when parts would be in was the killer. tom says he would trust oregon to steer me right considering his reputation with the ford FE stuff.

204/214 @ .050”, 270/280 adv, .420”/.443” lift, 112 sep

since jamie isn't gonna be much help getting the block out of my Subaru it's probably jist gonna stay there until Wednesday. lol

IMG_20240315_172717.jpg

Last edited:
oh, i also picked up the denso alt yesterday that i'll be putting in the car. bought the bracket kit a while back and finally picked up the alt. i'll probably install that before the engine swap..

i also dropped one of my spare transissions off to my buddy tom to rebuild and install the low gearset. hopefully he can get to it quickly. he is busy doing body work on his tunderbold tribute.

That’s a drivers cam for sure. Nice pick. Good lift as well. That’s going to idle real nice, be easy to tune up and provide power right from the get go with a bunch of torque, it’s gonna drive real nice. It’ll be good on fuel as well. Better than the other ones listed.

sometimes all the pieces fall together just right.

i like that cam a lot more than the other two, kind of an updated 340 grind. should match very nicely with the other components.

-
Back