w-2 heads info

-
We have some guys here that listed there cars in the (IIRC) "Unported head quickness" Thread with some pretty damn good times with there stock as cast W2 heads.
I haven't seen inexpensive rocker gear for them in a while... Not that I have looked though.

Other food for thought is only Eselbrock makes a new intake for the W2 head. MoPar did make W2 intakes in dual plane, single plane and in tunnel ram fashion. It is possible to find those intakes used as well as the older but butt kicking excellent intakes by Holley. Both are single plane intakes but one is designed and geared for street and the other for race.

Here is a Holley "Street Dominator" intake manifold I just purchased.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=302214&highlight=intake

wow all this great information. its an awful lot to absorb so im gonna ponder it for a while. actually the car (72 demon) came with massive extra parts theres 3 buckets of used vale train, engine parts that came with it that I havn't even looked through yet. I know I saw some used push rods and rocker arms in the top of one.

the car also ca.me with a complete 360 with kieth black stuff a strip dominator intake and j heads

Oh I like that strip dominator intake. I used that one before.

Are any of your rocker arms off set? If you have 8 off set rocker arms, those would be for the W2. That would save you tons-O-money. The rest of the gear needed for the head is not so expensive by compare.

What is your goal with the car?

so would these heads be a good choice for the 340 if I am going to drive it mostly on weekeds?

Yes and no. A lot depends on how you want your engine to perform. These heads (W2's) are a expensive head to run unless your set is pretty much complete. Building them from scratch is pricey.
The head itself, unported is fine for a street, street/strip ride. I would not bother with there use with mild cams and compression ratio's, mild gearing and low-ish stall converters. You can do well with the J heads as well. IMO, there would not be much sense in building an engine with W2 heads (& the expensive exhaust soulution) just to run 12's.
You can do that with the J heads. I ran my stock port 2.02/1.60 J heads to the mid 12's and drove it everyday. It had the Purple 292/.509 cam and a RPM intake, super comp (1-3/4) headers, 4spd & 4.10 gears. It was at 9.8-1 ratio using 93 octane. Fun ride it was.

You could always save the W2's for later when you want to "Step up the program" later. Though in do have interest in them.

Sort through your parts before you spend any money. If you have all the stuff to use passenger car heads than the W-2's would be cost prohibitive. That's really where you need to start.

FWIW if that 72 Demon is a factory 4 speed in one of the HIP colors, and with the right options...it can be a 30k plus car.

My first car was a 72 Demon. F1Y with 4 speed, 8.75 rear, disc brakes, factory bucket seats with black interior. I was the second owner.

I kick myself every day for letting that car go. That ranks up their in my top 2-3 stupidist moves of my life (I know stupidist is not a word so grammar/spelling nazis can move along).

Hey, that word "stupidist" works for me. In fact, it is used often at work on some people!

LMAO!

To the OP...this is stuff you should ignore, as I said earlier. A stock, unported W-2 will support 450 HP at 6000 RPM on a milquetoast 340, without a sweat.

Don't fall for the old line that W-2 stuff is race only. One would think that the motorsports world would have evolved passed this.

I will say it again. The heads you have are fine for what you want. Especially if you don't have a bunch of parts already. Valves, springs and all that crap all cost the same. The ONLY issue is rocker arm cost. Check the web. W-2 stuff comes up all the time for a fair price.

Don't get suckered out of using these heads.........please don't.

Ignorant posts like these are why I seldom even bother to type a response anymore, because there is always a smartass with a opinion. EVERYTHING I wrote is spot on, for what the OP stated he was looking to do, mild cruiser with a little sound, you don't need to spend tons on W2s heads to accomplish that goal. Why don't you point out just what EXACTLY should be ignored in what I wrote?

If I'm not mistaken...... And if these heads are Econ w2's...... There should be a dual exhaust bolt pattern. One set for would be for a regular exhaust manifold. So, if I'm right, you could use that if you wanted to or get any header that is specific for your application.

If I'm not mistaken...... And if these heads are Econ w2's...... There should be a dual exhaust bolt pattern. One set for would be for a regular exhaust manifold. So, if I'm right, you could use that if you wanted to or get any header that is specific for your application.

This is true, some do have the std pattern. But there is a major port shape difference, it will work, but its a compromise. So really, true W2 headers are the way to go. No reason to run W2s on a motor with manifolds unless its a class rule deal.

Ignorant posts like these are why I seldom even bother to type a response anymore, because there is always a smartass with a opinion. EVERYTHING I wrote is spot on, for what the OP stated he was looking to do, mild cruiser with a little sound, you don't need to spend tons on W2s heads to accomplish that goal. Why don't you point out just what EXACTLY should be ignored in what I wrote?

To have a set of W-2 heads there (ASSuming he had no other parts) and not use them is dumb. JMHO.

Posts like yours is why I rarely bother to post either. EQ heads over W-2 = INSANITY.

Just so I can't be misquoted........if he has parts there for P-car heads and no other W-2 stuff, use the P-car stuff. The OP said in a later post he had lots of parts and some P-car heads. I would use those if I had them, rather than buying EQ heads. They are just as good (as in there is NO difference between EQ heads and P-car heads).

I went to the local mopar guru and he said they were true old school w-2 heads that looked like they had never been put on an engine. said he hadn't seen a set of these for 7 or 8 years. said they were probably purchased and put on a shelf all these years. they have been sitting outside in seattle for at least 5 or 6 years so are a little rusty. local guy said a to have them bead blasted and they would look like new. as I said before the guy I got them from purchased them at a flee market for a grand. think I will just sit on them for future use as I am a little bit of a hoarder.

There not going to be worth a grand, but they DO have value. You already have them, so put them back for another day if you want. Or sell them and put the money to building your motor.

Check those buckets. If you've got the offset rocker arms you can put those heads in service reasonably since you've got the intake. There's a guy on E-bay that sells header flanges you can use to adapt a regular set of headers or build your own. I've got a couple W2 street motors and they work really well so I say use 'em!

speaking of door stops..... one of the last W2 pieces I have laying around.

Wow! Look at that baby! Nice go fast part, er, sorry, go very fast part.

had a set of W2 race heads forever that I got in a deal..... never used them. sold them and the rockers last year finally, and the other Strip Dominator, just have this lonely one sitting around. Need a planter? :)

Not yet. I "need" to finish my W5 first. ;)

-
Back