W on 318 heads?

-

tyler1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just went to the local salvage yard and they guy started telling me about this 318 engine he had. He told me it was extremly quick and a lot quicker than any other 318 he had ever dealt with. He said the motor had a W In the vin. What does the W stand for? I am building a duster and i have been looking for a 340 but im kind of interested in this motor. There was a guy there with a 340 duster and he said that he has not road in a 318 with that much power either.

ok, wha does it exactly mean though if it does have a 2? I can get this motor cheap and i might build it up for my duster.

years ago (mid 80's) there was a 50ish year old guy (deceased now) that lived not to far away from me. he had a 1979 Dodge Little Red Express.
It Had a 360, with cast iron W2 heads, cast iron W2 intake, and prolly 1 1/2" shorty headers on it. if it was factory installed or not, who
knows. But Believe me, He bought It new, and swore up and down he didn't change a thing on it.
cheers.

Little Red trucks never came with w2 heads due to not being able or wanting to get them to pass smog...

factory had to certify that every vehicle would pass smog for 5 yrs or 50k miles..

Little Red trucks never came with w2 heads due to not being able or wanting to get them to pass smog...

factory had to certify that every vehicle would pass smog for 5 yrs or 50k miles..
yah eh. trucks too? i dont remember them needing to pass emmision standards.

He said a "W" in the "VIN number" not on the head.

But if you did mean head, it shold say "W2" and that is the first gen. race head they have made way back in the day and still make now.

Also, 70 aar is absoultely correct, the W-2 never was in any production sold vehicle, car or truck.
The story goes..... The enginers and tyhe company did discuss the W-2 head on the engine and if it would pass the days emissions test and longevity issue's. The brass didn't like the idea and were talking against it.

Later on, after hours and the brass gone, the engine guys decided to fool around and see if a W-2 would indeed pass the emissions test. And it did. News spread fast and when the brass heard the news, they killed it completely.

They probably felt slighted like the engine guys went behind there back in a sneaky manor.

cool! is that first hand knowledge or somethin you read about? either or.. gotta love those engine guys back then.
W in the VIN was probably just a TYPO. seen lots of those over the years.

I have had family member work for Chrysler back in the day. That was the skinny in the hallways, in short. I've heard that since I was a kid.

-
Back