W2 intake manifolds pics

-
The whole thread is show and tell!

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha…..

Show us around the intake more of you can. It’s a slick and trick mod you have going on there.

I parted ways with one Pro Dominator, but now have this.
20230524_172953.jpg

20230524_173002.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone help me with what Tunnel Rams were available for the W2 heads back in 1973? Did Weiand make one?
To my knowledge, there weren't any W2 manifolds available in 1973, tunnel ram or otherwise. The W2 head itself wasn't even in production yet. My prototypes ("W1"--read this post) have 1974 casting dates, if I recall correctly. I haven't looked at 'em in awhile.

To my knowledge, there weren't any W2 manifolds available in 1973, tunnel ram or otherwise. The W2 head itself wasn't even in production yet. My prototypes ("W1"--read this post) have 1974 casting dates, if I recall correctly. I haven't looked at 'em in awhile.
1974 is probably right. The Rod Shop was doing high rpm small block engine development for Chrysler in 1973 and 1974. At the end of that program is when the W2 heads were utilized. The engine used an aluminum tunnel ram with Holley 6109 carburetors. I'm trying to find out what tunnel ram manifold was used at that time. Just trying to find out if it was a Mopar piece, Edelbrock, Weiand or something else. Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Would you be interested in selling your "W1" heads?

Can anyone tell from the picture what brand tunnel ram manifold was used on this small block? The picture was taken in the spring of 1974

Dick Oldfield bradenton spring 74(2).jpg

Modified and repaired Edelbrock W2 tunnel ram. Due to modification, there are no identifying marks other than the brand name. Apparently some dolt tried to use this on standard LA heads, hence the hacked mounting holes, but the bolt countersinking and ports show it is a native W2 manifold.

View attachment 1716060047

The bottom of the casting was cut out and a thin aluminum plate welded in, I assume to lower the weight.

View attachment 1716060048

A view up the stinkholes. Pro tip: Cobwebs increase port velocity for gooder low-end grunt.

View attachment 1716060050

Repair welds visible up front...

View attachment 1716060052

...and signs of wholesale butchery to the casting out back.

View attachment 1716060053

Apparently the plenum's on backward, according to this stamping. Plenum volume is not in short supply here.

View attachment 1716060054

What the carb base sees:

View attachment 1716060055

Finally, an overall aerial shot:

View attachment 1716060058
Would you want to sell this?

Still no picture

Double check your post before leaving.

Take a screenshot and then try again.

Would you want to sell this?
Put up a wanted ad in the classifieds detailing exactly what you're looking for. I'm sure someone here has it. The moderators frown upon trying to turn regular threads into wanted and for sale threads. It's only allowed in the classified section.

I have a set of semi-machined prototype W2 heads that were being advertised as LRT development heads when I bought them. I believe they were shown as such because they still have factory-style heat crossover passages, while W2s never did. Bill Richardson, who worked heavily in the W2 and SCCA programs, identified them as what he called "W1" heads. He said they were originally intended for SCCA cars, even though Chrysler was no longer directly involved. He was also extremely curious as to how I got my hands on them, as "we cast less than 25 sets of those and I'm sure I knew where every single casting went."

Michael @ B3 Racing was a great help in getting them identified. He recommended I leave them alone (as opposed to finishing the machine work and using them) due to their potential historical value. They're currently sitting on a pallet in my basement, not far from where the iron W2 intake normally sits. Prior to learning what those heads were, I had considered building a "what if" LRT W2 engine.

The cast-iron intake was intended for circle-burners with rules requiring an iron "production type" manifold. The W2 spec for the LRT had called for an aluminum Edelbrock intake and a Holley carb, if memory serves.

I'd have to look more to see if there is any reference to a W-2 with heat crossover in Bob Tarozzi's notebooks.
Is W-1 a T/A head?

It’s seems like the W-2 design waited around before being available for sale. The stuff below sounds like W-2 was well developed by May 1973.

I have W-2-1/2 and W-3 test data. And a bunch of stuff in between and beyond.

1716392777449.png

1716392806530.png

1716392834245.png

Last edited:
Is this a W-2 head with heat crossover?

It’s a picture from an early Larry Atherton Mopar Small Block book

IMG_8768.jpeg

The W2 has a large, go nowhere hole there. Not a heat crossover by my sets.

I'd have to look more to see if there is any reference to a W-2 with heat crossover in Bob Tarozzi's notebooks.
Is W-1 a T/A head?
No. It's completely different from a production head; much closer to the W2 in terms of ports. The exhaust-bolt pattern is the "wide" W2 pattern. It requires W2-style rocker stands as well. There are water-jacket core plug openings inside the valve covers, near the lower/outside gasket surface. The only real similarities to production head are the exhaust crossover, valve-cover gasket shape, and open chamber design. Mine are semi-machined, with no intake bolt holes, unfinished guides and seats, and no machining or threading of the rocker-stand bosses. Some of the casting-mold marks were intentionally obliterated in the sand molds before the iron was poured--the marks are not ground off.

Thinking they were "Li'l Red development heads" as advertised to me, I contacted Mike @B3RE with several photos, asking him what could be done with them. He was more curious as to their origins than I was, though I was plenty curious. Mike sent pictures to Ray Barton, Rick Ehrenberg, and others, all of whom apparently dismissed them as "just W2, no big deal" after apparently just looking at the port shapes. Bill Richardson immediately knew what they were, as noted in my post, and was very curious as to how they landed in my hands 40+ years later. Mike thought they were too rare and unusual to mess with, not because of any difficulty in making them work, but because they're obviously extraordinarily rare.

BirdsEye.JPG

CoreDetail.JPG

CastMk_1.JPG

ExhX-Over.JPG

IntFace.JPG

Those pictures were taken with the heads exactly as I received them, other than the dog hair. She's a good dog. :)

No. It's completely different from a production head; much closer to the W2 in terms of ports. The exhaust-bolt pattern is the "wide" W2 pattern. It requires W2-style rocker stands as well. There are water-jacket core plug openings inside the valve covers, near the lower/outside gasket surface. The only real similarities to production head are the exhaust crossover, valve-cover gasket shape, and open chamber design. Mine are semi-machined, with no intake bolt holes, unfinished guides and seats, and no machining or threading of the rocker-stand bosses. Some of the casting-mold marks were intentionally obliterated in the sand molds before the iron was poured--the marks are not ground off.

Thinking they were "Li'l Red development heads" as advertised to me, I contacted Mike @B3RE with several photos, asking him what could be done with them. He was more curious as to their origins than I was, though I was plenty curious. Mike sent pictures to Ray Barton, Rick Ehrenberg, and others, all of whom apparently dismissed them as "just W2, no big deal" after apparently just looking at the port shapes. Bill Richardson immediately knew what they were, as noted in my post, and was very curious as to how they landed in my hands 40+ years later. Mike thought they were too rare and unusual to mess with, not because of any difficulty in making them work, but because they're obviously extraordinarily rare.

View attachment 1716253112

View attachment 1716253119

View attachment 1716253120

View attachment 1716253122

View attachment 1716253123

Those pictures were taken with the heads exactly as I received them, other than the dog hair. She's a good dog. :)

Yes, I realize it's not a production W-2 head.

I wonder if it's a early W-2 with leftover crossover or something closer to the LRE development (pre '78-79) with an added crossover. There were all kinds of SB development castings floating around. Square port W-2, "Petty" castings, W-3, W-2-1/2,

I think I have some Chrysler Tom Hoover correspondence that references to pre-production LRE stuff. And maybe a special Van or other model that never materialized.

Last edited:
Darn shame the W2 never made it to production as OEM equipment on any vehicle. That would have been outstanding!

Darn shame the W2 never made it to production as OEM equipment on any vehicle. That would have been outstanding!

With the post 1971 Smog Regulations, you'd have a good flowing head with small smog cam.

Sorta like a mid 70's Ford Cleveland.

and closed chambered!

That would be nice but the closed chamber didn’t make an appearance for a number of years.

Even though it was said the heads would be in an otherwise smogged engine, just the idea of it knowing the heads ability is thought provoking on what could have been done.

While the letter heads of the earlier days were not to shabby for what they were and in ported form, about as good as it got, the W2 out flows the stock head as cast. This would not have stayed a secret for to long at all.

I believe had this been done, the aftermarket would have moved quicker for the MoPar market.

35 years ago I was told get a set of W2 heads to go faster. The price tag was way way too high for me being married with kids and a house and etc…… not crying here, just the facts. To much to do with the scrawny pay check.

I just daydream a “What if the W2 was actually a factory OEM head installed on all the V8 engines.” AND! Imagine the change of the hot rod landscape with what the tribe would be doing with there engines 30/35 years ago!

I think we would be handing out a lot of pastings on the strip and street. W2 heads would be half the price if not cheaper.

That would be nice but the closed chamber didn’t make an appearance for a number of years.

Even though it was said the heads would be in an otherwise smogged engine, just the idea of it knowing the heads ability is thought provoking on what could have been done.

While the letter heads of the earlier days were not to shabby for what they were and in ported form, about as good as it got, the W2 out flows the stock head as cast. This would not have stayed a secret for to long at all.

I believe had this been done, the aftermarket would have moved quicker for the MoPar market.

35 years ago I was told get a set of W2 heads to go faster. The price tag was way way too high for me being married with kids and a house and etc…… not crying here, just the facts. To much to do with the scrawny pay check.

I just daydream a “What if the W2 was actually a factory OEM head installed on all the V8 engines.” AND! Imagine the change of the hot rod landscape with what the tribe would be doing with there engines 30/35 years ago!

I think we would be handing out a lot of pastings on the strip and street. W2 heads would be half the price if not cheaper.
I hear ya, a head that flowed 260 cfm ootb, and the porting potential into the 300 would be a one stop shop head for both the street and the strip.
Besides the price, I remember not wanting to deal with the rocker shaft blocks when they came out. Of course there wasn't a FABO around back then for how to information, let alone even computers.

-
Back