Warped Thermoquad

-

RogerK

Reaction score
I performed a full rebuild about three years ago with no issues. The car ran great getting 18 MPG. Now it leaks at the top of the carb between the center section and top of the carb.

I just replaced the 2 gaskets that seal the center section to the top and bottom and it still leaks at the top of the center section. I'm guessing the center section is now warped causing a lack of seal.

My questions are...
1) Can the center section be repaired, ie. flat sanded to remove the warping?
2) Are the center sections from other TQs all the same?

Thanks.

I don't see any reason why it could not be sanded square.
Use a straight edge to see where it needs leveled, and used a big flat sanding block, with fine paper, until it is flat all the way around.

Clean good, and re-assemble.

I performed a full rebuild about three years ago with no issues. The car ran great getting 18 MPG. Now it leaks at the top of the carb between the center section and top of the carb.

I just replaced the 2 gaskets that seal the center section to the top and bottom and it still leaks at the top of the center section. I'm guessing the center section is now warped causing a lack of seal.

My questions are...
1) Can the center section be repaired, ie. flat sanded to remove the warping?
2) Are the center sections from other TQs all the same?

Thanks.
Unfortunately those resin centers on the TQ's were their weak point. I ran one for years and the last couple of years my car had a hard time starting cold, or even after sitting for 30 minutes. Reason was my resin center was warped and dripping gas back in causing it to flood a bit. I would say try to find a better piece, the sanding may just warp it more or weaken it as well. I have had three TQ's that have warped over the years.

You should be able to sand it flat again, take your time.

There are many different T-Q bowls out there. You'll need to find the like year and size, open it up and match it to yours..exactly.

I don't see any reason why it could not be sanded square.
Use a straight edge to see where it needs leveled, and used a big flat sanding block, with fine paper, until it is flat all the way around.

Clean good, and re-assemble.

Thats exactly what I had in mind.

are you running the heat crossover open?

Yes on a stock cast iron manifold. I'm guessing it should be blocked in some way to prevent the excess heat from getting to the carb.

Unfortunately those resin centers on the TQ's were their weak point. I ran one for years and the last couple of years my car had a hard time starting cold, or even after sitting for 30 minutes. Reason was my resin center was warped and dripping gas back in causing it to flood a bit. I would say try to find a better piece, the sanding may just warp it more or weaken it as well. I have had three TQ's that have warped over the years.

I'm sure that is closer to reality than I'd like to admit. I'll try the flat sanding with the understanding that if it fails, I'll be looking for a new carb or at least a center section. Rumblefish, I'll keep that in mind if I have to go looking for one.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I fixed one a few years ago for a friend with a big block in a 1979 Cordoba Sport 300. Just put it on a sheet of glass and sand 'till flat. You've really got nothing to lose. If it works, cool. If it doesn't you're no worse off than you are now. As far as I know the one I sanded is still working.

-
Back