waterpumps?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, I am considering putting a new waterpump on my 360
the stock unit has 8 vanes (motor did come with AC and hopefully will have that again once the swap is completed)
I stopped by autozone and their duralast pump runs 35ish dollars but only has 6 vanes
will that be sufficient?
advanced auto runs "regular" pumps for 20 and high performance for 40 but didn't have either in stock so not sure how many vanes they have

any thoughts on this?

the stock unit has 8 vanes (motor did come with AC and hopefully will have that again once the swap is completed)
I stopped by autozone and their duralast pump runs 35ish dollars but only has 6 vanes
will that be sufficient?
advanced auto runs "regular" pumps for 20 and high performance for 40 but didn't have either in stock so not sure how many vanes they have

any thoughts on this?

Go with the eight vane.

So you have a high horse powered engine?
I have not had any cooling issues with a standard pump with my cars running low 12's at the track and seeing daily useage in NYC rush hour.

not sure what the power will be, 320 horsies maybe?

its a 75 360 with freshened up heads, a 268 cam, weiand intake and massaged 600 edelbrock carb

it seems good practice to replace the waterpump while I have the front end apart and if I hadn't noticed the stock unit being 8 vanes I don't think I would have given it a second thought

will that be sufficient?

any thoughts on this?

You're another person that said they pulled an 8 vane pump from an A/C car, myself included. We had a long in-depth discussion on this a few years ago. Go read this then decide. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165003

Non AC car = 8 vane pump, with standard water pump pulley.

AC car = 6 vane pump, with "smaller" AC water pump pulley.

I'm going to run this one from Milodon. It's high volume and has an anti-cavitation plate on the back of the impellers.

mil-16250.jpg

I'm also running a three core Champion radiator with dual electric fans and Evans waterless coolant. I'm not taking any chances. Nothing worse than a slow crawl at a cruise night and watching your temperature guage creep up. Never again.

You only need to have a bigger pump if you have a larger radiator.

I'm going to run this one from Milodon. It's high volume and has an anti-cavitation plate on the back of the impellers.

mil-16250.jpg

I'm also running a three core Champion radiator with dual electric fans and Evans waterless coolant. I'm not taking any chances. Nothing worse than a slow crawl at a cruise night and watching your temperature guage creep up. Never again.

Not sure how it compares to an Edelbrock pump. I have one and took it off. Water had to much velocity. I only ran it for a couple of days. Went back to the eight vane a/c pump. Pump for sale $25 plus ship

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 127
as you might expect my duster is mismatch of parts
the car is a /6 AC car
the motor is a 75 motorhome engine WITH AC
the water pump I pulled of the 360 had 8 vanes so I figured that is what I want to put back on

I called over to advance auto and they said they could order the 40 dollar one with 6 or 8, so I just ordered it in 8

-
Back