Weekend mopar parties

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
How many FABO members are in the shop on Friday and weekend nights working on a car instead of out at some party?

I was invited to a party tonight, (they are already doing Halloween parties) and I was like "NAH, ima gonna work on my ride"

I think I am getting the better party deal here. Nothing like freshly sanded bare metal ( oh baybeeee)

The best parties are in a shop with a Mopars....who is with me on this one

CIMG0018.JPG

CIMG0019.JPG

CIMG0020.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

Last edited:
How many FABO member are in the shop on Friday and weekend nights working on a car instead of out at some party?

I was invited to a party tonight, (they are already doing Halloween parties) and I was like "NAH, ima gonna work on my ride"

I think I am getting the better party deal here. Nothing like freshly sanded bare metal ( oh yea)

View attachment 1714978044

View attachment 1714978046

View attachment 1714978047

View attachment 1714978048
Nicely done Rani. I rarely do it but I love sheet metal in primer.

You missed a spot. LOL
Seriously, how do you treat the bare metal? I normally spray it with a few coats of grey Epoxy Primer, and then go from there.

You missed a spot. LOL
Seriously, how do you treat the bare metal? I normally spray it with a few coats of grey Epoxy Primer, and then go from there.

I don't spray any primer till I treat the metal with "Metal ready" POR-15 makes it and it leaves a zinc coating over the metal and adhesion of primer to it is unbelievable.

then, after a coat of epoxy primer, I do the body work and apply the filler on top of the epoxy primer. I have been told that old timers would put the filler on bare metal only but us newer generation "body people" are taught in school to put the filler over the epoxy. Then when I am finished with the body work, I spray another coat of epoxy to seal it in. Then I use a primer surfacer and block sand it. Again, old timers will argue you don't need to seal it in, but keep in mind, only epoxy is waterproof.

there are 100 ways of doing it, but this what I describe is what is going to happen here this week.

268-13582zp.jpg

what year of Duster you working on ???

You're missing an air hose Rani. :p How many have you had at this party of yours?

You're missing an air hose Rani. :p How many have you had at this party of yours?
I bet I can guess..... 2 Cats !!!!!!! :)

I have two cats but only one likes to show up for the party. The other one, who knows where he goes, probably in the niteclub now.

just me and Cooper and the Classic Rock station. :usflag:

20160505_151541.jpg

I actually have two air hoses. I don't have a big powerful compressor, but just two small crapsman units. I run two side by side so when one gets hot, I shut it down and switch hoses to the second one and back and forth. Otherwise I would never get anything done waiting for a compressor to cool. Either one has to run continuously as I run the DA sander. Seems to maintain at 70-80 PSI and it just stays there with the sander running.

Last edited:
I actually have two air hoses. I don't a big powerful compressor, but just two small crapsman units. I run two side by side so when one gets hot, I shut it down and switch hoses to the second one and back and forth. Otherwise I would never get anything done waiting for a compressor to cool. Either one has to run continuously as I run the DA sander. Seems to maintain at 70-80 PSI and it just stays there with the sander running.
Rani: where were you 50 years ago ? u my kinda girl.

I don't spray any primer till I treat the metal with "Metal ready" POR-15 makes it and it leaves a zinc coating over the metal and adhesion of primer to it is unbelievable.

then, after a coat of epoxy primer, I do the body work and apply the filler on top of the epoxy primer. I have been told that old timers would put the filler on bare metal only but us newer generation "body people" are taught in school to put the filler over the epoxy. Then when I am finished with the body work, I spray another coat of epoxy to seal it in. Then I use a primer surfacer and block sand it. Again, old timers will argue you don't need to seal it in, but keep in mind, only epoxy is waterproof.

there are 100 ways of doing it, but this what I describe is what is going to happen here this week.

View attachment 1714978064

Most of us old timers didn't learn the trade at school. We picked it up from the old timers of our day. lol,

I don't go to parties, especially Halloween ones.
Halloween is a peigan holiday that i'll have nothing to do with.
That being said, good to see you're doing something productive with your time rather than boozing it up.
I did way too much of that in my younger years, and i wish i would have stayed home and did what you are doing instead..........
BTW, are you teaching Cooper how to sand?

Yea man, that's me often enough.
I do go to the garage nights out with the guys a few times a year. A nice get together in the garage to shoot the chit bench racing and showI got of the latest and of course burnouts when we leave.

I actually have two air hoses. I don't a big powerful compressor, but just two small crapsman units. I run two side by side so when one gets hot, I shut it down and switch hoses to the second one and back and forth. Otherwise I would never get anything done waiting for a compressor to cool. Either one has to run continuously as I run the DA sander. Seems to maintain at 70-80 PSI and it just stays there with the sander running.
Try getting an air hose splitter and make a short hose with male/male ends. Plug the splitter into one compressor, and the short hose between the two compressors. Then the other hole on the splitter goes to your "gun" hose. Switch the two compressors on/off as you did before, but now you don't have to move the gun hose and you get double the air storage.

FYI - you rock girl!

Friday night, Led zeppelin playing, Sharing a mountain dew with Cooper.....

Life is awesome.

Getting the door shells and one fender ready for a grey spray and light filler work. Already down to bare metal and went through the hammer and dolly and stud gun in some cases.

gets exciting when the paint materials start emptying from the can and on to the car :D

CIMG0027.JPG

I spent some Friday night time on my fuel injection project 70 duster, does that count?

My Mopar party is Thursday night. My wife leaves to watch "Survivor" and have a group dinner with friends. I pass and my garage becomes "Shop Night."
Stereo is on, sometimes rockabilly, other nights its jazz, whatever I'm in the mood for. I settle in, get a lot done, and incredibly, I begin to really relax and get into the Mopar zone. Sometimes, my neighbor will hear the music, pound on my garage door to get in, split a beer, and bench race. I get three or four hours in on the car. Rani, I know what you mean.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How many FABO members are in the shop on Friday and weekend nights working on a car instead of out at some party?

I think I am getting the better party deal here. Nothing like freshly sanded bare metal ( oh baybeeee)

View attachment 1714978044

View attachment 1714978046

View attachment 1714978047

View attachment 1714978048

Hey, you DID have some chips at your party...

Chips.JPG

cant forget to fuel the sanding machine LOL

Good thing my best bud Julie got bored with her party and came out to my shop....and brought some taco bell with her LOL

I can get used to this weekend routine :usflag: Great Times Fall 2016 WHOOOHOOO

CIMG0028.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back