Weiand Action+ or Eddy Performer

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`d like to replace the stock 2 bbl. intake manifold and carb on my stock 67 273 engine with a 4bbl. I`d like to get as much mpg as possible, hp is not an issue. What would be better for this application, the Weiand Action plus 8007 or the Eddy Performer? I`d also like to know what opinions are with carb choice. Holley 4160 or Eddy 1405? Will changing the stock 2 bbl. set up to any of these choices improve my mpg? Thanks.

If you go with the Eddy carb, go with 1406 electric choke instead of 1405 manual choke. The 1406 comes equipped with leaner jets. It may have a small effect on mileage.

Not sure of the answer on your manifold choices but I cannot imagine much difference between the two.

Go with the eddy!!!! I got my new Weiand action plus in the mail and sent it back for an eddy. It was cast so bad that none of the holes lined up with the heads and I never had them milled or the block surfaced, I had threds that were breaking off when I tryed to install carb studs...BY HAND!!!, and it was cast so bad that it ripped some skin off the end of my finger when I ran my finger across the inside of the intake.
The eddy was like every one I have ever used, it fits right, looks good and performs great!

I vote the performer for it's smaller runners and the abilty to maintain a high velocity for better atomization of the air and fuel on the tiny 273.

hey 360
those side pipes and shackles are pretty old school 60's style.
i haven't seen a set in a long time :headbang:
longarm

I like'em myself. (Did I just date myself???)

If the 273 does not have dual exhaust yet, I would leave the 2bbl on, and add duals first.

The engine needs to breath!!

If you low on bucks;
add duals, and leave the 2 bbl on it. You will get more performance from the dual exhaust, than a 4bbl carb change,
and you will still get good gas mileage.

My 2 cents.
I have owned more than one Mopar in the last 30 years.

Here is a scan of a photo from 1976, rear of my 64 Valiant,
and my 65 Valiant, and Dads IH truck.

Dual exhaust are on the list as well as headers,a viscous fan, small cam, and electronic ignition. This car is for cruising so mpg are of the highest priority. Is there anything that can be done with the 904 trans.to improve mpg, for example a lock-up converter? The rear gear is already low, a 2.94. Any other mpg tips are welcome. Thanks.

Longgone said:
Dual exhaust are on the list as well as headers,a viscous fan, small cam, and electronic ignition. This car is for cruising so mpg are of the highest priority. Is there anything that can be done with the 904 trans.to improve mpg, for example a lock-up converter? The rear gear is already low, a 2.94. Any other mpg tips are welcome. Thanks.

Install a shift kit and a small trans cooler to keep the fluid cooler and avoid slipping. Plus, being able to get a second gear chirp is always fun!!!!

-
Back