weight of 383 engine??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to ship and need the approximate (cloe) . complete '64 383 intake to pan with original exh. manifold and flywheel. Thanks all

I need to ship Fastenal/ Does Fastenal actually weigh the darn thing or will they just assume this weight close enough?? I really have more to do than make a couple of trips to a scale for exact weight.
I’ve shipped using Fastenal several times. The price doesn’t change much with weight. It’s more of the actual space (dimensions) that you need. So I will guess the weight and add some to be sure.
I’ve seen them weigh it at times, it depends on the staff.
There is a compliance sheet they sign and it lists the dimensions and weight.
I had a shipment that I picked up and the sheet stated that the dimensions were larger than originally stated but the store didn’t charge me more for it.

at that kind of weight i'd be inclined to over estimate and have no comeback. if you said 700lbs instead of 650lbs it's unlikely to change the shipping cost. maybe call them and ask if an extra 50lbs would cost more?

at that kind of weight i'd be inclined to over estimate and have no comeback. if you said 700lbs instead of 650lbs it's unlikely to change the shipping cost. maybe call them and ask if an extra 50lbs would cost more?

I need to ship Fastenal/ Does Fastenal actually weigh the darn thing or will they just assume this weight close enough?? I really have more to do than make a couple of trips to a scale for exact weight.
Go online to the Fastenal Blue Line freight site. There is a shipping form you can fill out online. Colorado Hill is correct it is mostly based upon package dimension. The weight does not make as much difference because they are selling the load by square footage of their trailer space. I had a commando 273 shipped to me from Florida to Illinois for around $250. Make sure the engine is fluid free!

If you already have an estimate from blue lane freight, you can have it revised and they usually respond within a day. It’s the best way to send heavy components.
They will only insure it if it’s completely covered with a crate. I always leave the top off for their inspection and they seem to appreciate it

Go online to the Fastenal Blue Line freight site. There is a shipping form you can fill out online. Colorado Hill is correct it is mostly based upon package dimension. The weight does not make as much difference because they are selling the load by square footage of their trailer space. I had a commando 273 shipped to me from Florida to Illinois for around $250. Make sure the engine is fluid free!
We are in the sticks and only pallets here are 40 x 48 which is way big, but the forks on the lift have to of course, get in the pallet. I will call local Fastenal and see if they have a smaller pallet.
Years ago a FABO member sent me a torqueflite on a pallet but I don't recall any details of it all!

This 383 is a complete and good core and I realize Tx. in NOT a Mopar state, but I am amazed no one here has made any attempt to buy it! If they ask,they re 10 hours away and don't want to travel..
I have a couple of good Mopar drivers for sale, but old car market here is slow even though the economy here is good (inflation high though as everywhere). I have had the hots to pickup a 70 up Swinger and drop in the 383. I am not a SB guy. And.... I don't need another project. Someone slap me!!!

We are in the sticks and only pallets here are 40 x 48 which is way big, but the forks on the lift have to of course, get in the pallet. I will call local Fastenal and see if they have a smaller pallet.
Years ago a FABO member sent me a torqueflite on a pallet but I don't recall any details of it all!

This 383 is a complete and good core and I realize Tx. in NOT a Mopar state, but I am amazed no one here has made any attempt to buy it! If they ask,they re 10 hours away and don't want to travel..
I have a couple of good Mopar drivers for sale, but old car market here is slow even though the economy here is good (inflation high though as everywhere). I have had the hots to pickup a 70 up Swinger and drop in the 383. I am not a SB guy. And.... I don't need another project. Someone slap me!!!
the young man I got the first commando 273 from made an awesome home made pallet that wedged the motor in. Then I bought another date coded charger 273 and a 67 340 x head engine and they both came strapped to a plain 40 by 48. I'm with you slap me I don't need another project either...LOL Good luck with the shipping it should go ok!

Before you book with Fastenal. Be sure if online tells you that you can't ship to your local store you call that store and ask them.

My buddy had a trans shipped from CA, online said it could only be delivered 3 hours away.

I had called the local store and they said it was not a problem to have it shipped direct to them.

I shipped a couple of crates with 4x4s underneath for the forks. It doesn't have to be on a pallet.

-
Back