What’s the “H” for on 915 heads?

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
QQ- but long winded:

A few years ago I bought a pile of 340 parts. Part of the deal was a set of nicely painted and clean looking 3418915-H heads.
What the heck does the “H” stand for?
These are mildly ported heads, 2.02” and 1.60” configurations. Stamped 360 so I believe they are 71-72 vintage. I’m going to blow the dust off these and send them to machine shop for a quick going over. Maybe put them on a 340 build for a future project.
Thanks
Syleng1

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My understanding is that the letter suffix indicates the year of the casting. H being 1972.....like the engine year codes.

My understanding is that the letter suffix indicates the year of the casting. H being 1972.....like the engine year codes.
Thanks. Oddly enough the other head the previous owner marked “drivers side” is letter C and the 360 script is very small and looks like cursive writing.

I’m laughing because the heads on my 340 in my 72 Demon is the same way. One letter “H” and one letter “C” those heads are 2.02 / 1.60 heads as well.

Maybe drilled for alternator bracket - not sure. I’m positive someone will chime in.

I believe that's just a way to determine what casting mould that particular head was cast in. These are X heads with similar casting numbers and letters.

20230527_084137.jpg

20230527_083324.jpg

If the "A" represented the year it would be 1965 . Got that by counting backwards from 1969 letter "E". Mopar didn't have a 340 engine in 1965 so ????? Maybe someone else can explain better.

I’m my not to sure about that date thing. While a “J” head certainly was made in a certain bracket of years, the reason for the letters in the first place we to make an easy way to identify them from the 318 heads. The factory workers don’t have time or are taught the difference in heads. A head is a head is a head and this here engine needs a head, RIGHT NOW because I have a long line of engines that need heads right now for the next car in line…
Don’t think just do and don’t worry about it say the company.

So 318’s were getting 340 heads and 340’s were getting 318 heads until the introduction of the letter heads.

The different letters were just an identification maker as to the nest series of head that was being made. The difference is hard to see. So ask a head porter where to look, IF they know a Chrysler heads.

The engine was assembled before the car was being assembled so no waiting on the assembly line. In fact not even in the same plant. I still believe they had more than one casting mould and produced several in one pour. If there is a problem with a casting in a head they can identify which mould it came from and correct the problem. Just like auto recalls, they can say from this date, vin#, etc.

I worked on the assembly line in the early 80's and some of us couldn't read and some workers were color blind so both of these methods had flaws. Me I'm both. Lol

The engine was assembled before the car was being assembled so no waiting on the assembly line.
I know the engine was assembled before it go to the car.
However, if you read what I said, you never would have wrote that.
In fact not even in the same plant. I still believe they had more than one casting mould and produced several in one pour. If there is a problem with a casting in a head they can identify which mould it came from and correct the problem. Just like auto recalls, they can say from this date, vin#, etc.
If the J was one casting plant and the U was another, this I don’t know. It would explain a few things though.

Well thank you boys! I appreciate the energy and information. I thought both of these heads were “J” head with the post “H” after the part number. Today I open both boxes to inspect before the machine shop drop off and see one is “H” and one is “C” both boxes were marked pass or drivers. Maybe these were drilled for accessories to be specific. I need to check that tomorrow before I drop them off if I remember. But I always thought MoPar heads were swap-able left to right with no troubles. Maybe I’m wrong here.
Both say 360 but the “H” head has a nice straight forward cast in “360.” Whereas the “C” head has this small almost script like “360” cast in. Both are pre emissions exhaust ports. (No extra meat for the possibility of drilled air ports.)

I’ve never heard of a H or C head before. The top picture is a “J” head.

One is a 915 casting the other is a 894 casting.

I’ve never heard of a H or C head before. The top picture is a “J” head.
The “H” and the “C” is a post script after the part number. Both a J heads.

Not trying to make a black swan here. I am just curious what the letter designation means. It may mean nothing and I’ve got my answer.

I believe that's just a way to determine what casting mould that particular head was cast in. These are X heads with similar casting numbers and letters.

View attachment 1716169277

View attachment 1716169278
Not trying to be disrespectful as I get the feeling I have offended some. I'm just trying to help/share what I believe. In the bottom picture of the X head I've shown is a # 09238. This is upside down in the pic. I believe this to be the actual casting date
09-sept.
23-day
8-year, 1968
Again I believe the letter that follows the casting # only tells what casting box it came from.

Well thank you boys! I appreciate the energy and information. I thought both of these heads were “J” head with the post “H” after the part number. Today I open both boxes to inspect before the machine shop drop off and see one is “H” and one is “C” both boxes were marked pass or drivers. Maybe these were drilled for accessories to be specific. I need to check that tomorrow before I drop them off if I remember. But I always thought MoPar heads were swap-able left to right with no troubles. Maybe I’m wrong here.
Both say 360 but the “H” head has a nice straight forward cast in “360.” Whereas the “C” head has this small almost script like “360” cast in. Both are pre emissions exhaust ports. (No extra meat for the possibility of drilled air ports.)
Yes the heads can be used on either side as they aren't side specific

Not trying to be disrespectful as I get the feeling I have offended some. I'm just trying to help/share what I believe. In the bottom picture of the X head I've shown is a # 09238. This is upside down in the pic. I believe this to be the actual casting date
09-sept.
23-day
8-year, 1968
Again I believe the letter that follows the casting # only tells what casting box it came from.
Insult someone? Disrespected them? They’ll get over it.
Me either. I don't believe that syleng1 is saying he has "H" or "C" head. He is asking what are these letters following the casting numbers for ?
I realized this later that it was as he straightened out in his last post.

The “H” and the “C” is a post script after the part number. Both a J heads.

Not trying to make a black swan here. I am just curious what the letter designation means. It may mean nothing and I’ve got my answer.
Roger Roger!!!

-
Back