What are these markings ? (2017 ram)

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
I developed a bad misfire on my truck (2017 ram 2500 5.7 96k miles)

The code reads p0302 (cylinder 2 misfire)
My first guess would be plugs or coilpacks, since the interval for plugs is 100k

I decided to pop the hood and check for bad connections first when i noticed these markings on my coilpacks

Any idea what they mean ?

20231224_223142.jpg

When mine had that code and a bad misfire it was a stuck valve, but that was at 340K miles on my 2015 5.7 Ram...

When mine had that code and a bad misfire it was a stuck valve, but that was at 340K miles on my 2015 5.7 Ram...
Yeah, i really hope it isnt anything in the valve train (it is a 3rd gen hemi, so you just dont know)

But its getting new plugs and coils on Wednesday, hopefully that fixes it

Did your '15 have those same paint marks ?

I don't recall, I have a reman engine in there now, I can check tomorrow. Thank goodness for a lifetime powertrain warranty, the new engine cost me $219...

Someone was probably diagnosing a misfire and marking coil packs as they went.

Someone was probably diagnosing a misfire and marking coil packs as they went.
Thats a good point, ill see if one of them is missing a the mark

My first guess was that the coils had come frome a junkyard, they tend to mark their parts like that

Thats a good point, ill see if one of them is missing a the mark

My first guess was that the coils had come frome a junkyard, they tend to mark their parts like that
That's entirely possible, too.

From the Net​

5.7 HEMI Misfires/Spark Plugs Longevity​

OEM spark plugs don't last that long. They should be changed every 30,000 to 40,000 miles on Chrysler's 5.7 Hemi. And it can be a nightmare dealing with an ignition-related misfire, as the Hemi V8s have two spark plugs per cylinder. Plus, it will double the maintenance work, and a pack of 16 modern spark plugs isn't cheap.

From the Net​

OEM spark plugs don't last that long. They should be changed every 30,000 to 40,000 miles on Chrysler's 5.7 Hemi. And it can be a nightmare dealing with an ignition-related misfire, as the Hemi V8s have two spark plugs per cylinder. Plus, it will double the maintenance work, and a pack of 16 modern spark plugs isn't cheap.
I came across that information too, but it doesnt seem to take into account changes by year

According to my manual, the interval for plugs is 100K miles

I looked at all the coil packs, and they all have a stripe but one of them had a clearly different mark on it

20231225_111003.jpg

From the Net​

The plugs on my 340K mile 2015 5.7 Hemi were the originals when I had a valve get stuck. The tech who diagnosed it asked me if I ever changed them, they still looked good!

I can remember back when I worked at Warren Truck when an item was detected in what they called the "audit hole" that's where the trucks were looked over and inspected by the corporate auditors, if they found something say like a unlocked coil wire connection then the responsible department "in this case the engine line" would assign a worker to check them 100% and mark them with a chalk line of some sort to show they were inspected and locked. This would go on for the remainder of the shift and if no more were detected then it would be done with, if another one was found this marking could go on for a while. Even today sometimes you will find these marks on certain items on the new vehicles.

The plugs on my 340K mile 2015 5.7 Hemi were the originals when I had a valve get stuck. The tech who diagnosed it asked me if I ever changed them, they still looked good!
hmmm that does not surprise me Jim.lol did you atleast change the oil 3 times in that 340k?

I sure hope its not a valve train issue

But shes going in on Wednesday for plugs and coils, im leaving Thursday for a small vacation, so IF the heads need to come off they got a week to do it

Sounds like the exact same thing I went through with my Ford E150 5.4 Triton, missfire codes.

Replaced all spark plugs and all coil packs, the Good Denzo coils through Rock Auto with Motocraft Plugs for the Ford.

Running like a million bucks now. 2 day job all crammed up underneath the firewall on those vans. Took my time and got it right.

In a pinch I was out on the road with a long ways to go yet > cross country, with the missfiring going on.

Had a new can of WD-40 with me, sprayed down the coil packs and the coil down necks into the heads and the electrical connectors on the coils. This helped the coils to stop shorting out to the ground of the head, insulating them with the penetrating oil.

It was back to full power after that. The thing is the coil packs short out to the cylinder heads (block) after they get too much time on them or are exposed to moisture, then they will short. (think those insulating boots dry out and go bad too, all part of the problem)

Screenshot_20230612-142445_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Sounds like the exact same thing I went through with my Ford E150 5.4 Triton, missfire codes.

Replaced all spark plugs and all coil packs, the Good Denzo coils through Rock Auto with Motocraft Plugs for the Ford.

Running like a million bucks now. 2 day job all crammed up underneath the firewall on those vans. Took my time and got it right.

In a pinch I was out on the road with a long ways to go yet > cross country, with the missfiring going on.

Had a new can of WD-40 with me, sprayed down the coil packs and the coil down necks into the heads and the electrical connectors on the coils. This helped the coils to stop shorting out to the ground of the head, insulating them with the penetrating oil.

It was back to full power after that. The thing is the coil packs short out to the cylinder heads (block) after they get too much time on them or are exposed to moisture, then they will short. (think those insulating boots dry out and go bad too, all part of the problem)

View attachment 1716182956

☆☆☆☆☆
I hope thats all it takes
I had a few places quote me, after i looked into it myself and the shop i like said it was about an hour and a half...i know with the brake booster it would take me half a day, so i decided to let them do it

8 coil packs and 16 plugs later she is running like a champ again

(Its raining so i couldn't wind her up to far)

Im curious to see if this improves my mileage a little too

One thing that surprised me is there wasnt a single marking on the "original" coilpacks

Makes me wonder if they were not OEM to begin with

8 coil packs and 16 plugs later she is running like a champ again

(Its raining so i couldn't wind her up to far)

Im curious to see if this improves my mileage a little too

One thing that surprised me is there wasnt a single marking on the "original" coilpacks

Makes me wonder if they were not OEM to begin with

Thanks for following up with the results of the fix.

Glad that worked out for you.

☆☆☆☆☆

Interesting looking coil packs to go with the 16 spark plug engine.

Screenshot_20231228-131309_Gallery.jpg

Always like learning about these fixes to the newer engines. Might have to get into one someday.

☆☆☆☆☆

I just noticed this thread. If anyone else runs into a misfire issue like this on a 3G Hemi with this style coil, a good test is to swap the coil from the offending cylinder with one from a cylinder NOT setting a code.
If the code sets on the same cylinder as before the coils can be ruled out.
If the code moves to the new cylinder the coil is the cause.
Same tests can be done with the spark plugs themselves.
The coils do not usually fail in a full set of 8 at the same time.

I just noticed this thread. If anyone else runs into a misfire issue like this on a 3G Hemi with this style coil, a good test is to swap the coil from the offending cylinder with one from a cylinder NOT setting a code.
If the code sets on the same cylinder as before the coils can be ruled out.
If the code moves to the new cylinder the coil is the cause.
Same tests can be done with the spark plugs themselves.
The coils do not usually fail in a full set of 8 at the same time.
I thought about going that route, but i didnt want to invest the time in chasing it down like that

The truck is at 96K miles and the service interval for plugs is 100K, so they all had to be done anyway

The coils, i could not find a service interval for but I figured, they all have the same miles under the same conditions...kind of like bulbs, if one of them burns out, the other one usually isn't far behind

Plus, I liked the opportunity to go with some hotter coils to hopefully get a little bit better fuel mileage out of the truck

@diymirage do you recall the brand of replacement coils that you used on this 100,000 mile tune up? (and spark plugs?)

There are lots of scary Chinese replacements on Ebay. Nice to know brand of the ones people have had good luck with.

I located a good guy on youtube who was well versed In the Ford Triton 5.4 and 4.6 v8s. He uses only the Denzo coils and Motocraft plugs for the Fords.

So I went with those off of his recommendations on my 5.4. Solved all of my misfire problems and still running great today, even after running a 1700 mile cross country trip.

Still perrring like a kitten.

☆☆☆☆☆

FYI - Holley has thier MSD plugs for the Hemi in the clearance section on their website for ~$2 a plug. I grabbed a set of 16 for $32 and some change. Much better than the $260 I paid at Advance Auto for a set of 16 last summer when I replaced them.

@diymirage do you recall the brand of replacement coils that you used on this 100,000 mile tune up? (and spark plugs?)

There are lots of scary Chinese replacements on Ebay. Nice to know brand of the ones people have had good luck with.

I located a good guy on youtube who was well versed In the Ford Triton 5.4 and 4.6 v8s. He uses only the Denzo coils and Motocraft plugs for the Fords.

So I went with those off of his recommendations on my 5.4. Solved all of my misfire problems and still running great today, even after running a 1700 mile cross country trip.

Still perrring like a kitten.

☆☆☆☆☆
Not sure about the plugs, I think they are autolites, but I let the mechanic pick them

Whatever they were, he said the hemis like them

The coils are Sultans Of Spark by an outfit in Memphis called performance distributors

I dont know if they make them in house or not, but they have great reviews
When I called them, the guy answering the phone suggested I ordered them off Summit since they were running a special on them

Last edited:
-
Back