What caused this on a 489 suregrip?

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
489 case suregrip , chewed up from pinion hitting it . what would casue this ?
Also large U joint on the 489 case , does someone make universal two sided u joint for the small u joint for a 741 case ?
Thanks !

sure grip best garrets .JPG

suregrip garrets II.jpg

sure Grips  garrets  iii.jpg

sure grip garrets . numbers.jpg

Woooooo- Weeeeee! LMAO!!!
Yikes!!!!

Woooooo- Weeeeee! LMAO!!!
Yikes!!!!
I did Not feel any slop , in and out movement on the pinion though . Everything rotates fine with no binding. pattern on ring gear looks good with no obvious wear . Could be that who ever rebuilt it, never cranked pinion nut to specs .
The car that this was in always had a vibration he couldn't find . This could have been the culprit.

at some time in its past the pinion bearings went out or as stated in another post the pinion nut came loose and the pinion gear walked back into the case. ugly yes but should not affect the performance of the unit as long as the internal parts are ok.
best bet is to take apart the unit to check parts and get any loose metal out and also clean the housing extremely well .

at some time in its past the pinion bearings went out or as stated in another post the pinion nut came loose and the pinion gear walked back into the case. ugly yes but should not affect the performance of the unit as long as the internal parts are ok.
best bet is to take apart the unit to check parts and get any loose metal out and also clean the housing extremely well .
anyone know the torque spec on the nut ? I read it's a pretty high torque number .

anyone know the torque spec on the nut ? I read it's a pretty high torque number .

according to the 1970 service manual 170 ft/lbs minimum for large stem tapered pinions ( 489 case ) -- 240 ft/lbs minimum for small /large stem step pinions (741 and 742 case) --

Someone quite possibly changed the yoke on the rear and didn't get the nut tight. BTW Dr Diff is now stocking the two sided U joint

Usually takes close to 450 to get the crush sleeve moving.its easy to think its tight. Gotta roll it,rap on pinion and keep checking.
Kind of finnicky,do it right and it lasts a long while.
Saw a diff from a 62 pontiac do the same thing.

Hmm the nut spec on the 741 from your chart at 40 lb/ft??
Although not relevant with your 489, here is FSM pic for 67 741 case

20180214_204643.jpg

I got part number for that u-joint off of a Mancini flyer and then had my Carquest guy order it for me. Much cheaper and it was a Spicer.

from chrysler the 489 has a crush sleeve between the pinion bearings. the 210 minimum is with a new crush sleeve. when checking the tightness of a used one it is not so simple. simply cranking it to 210 may crush the sleeve more and result in the pinion bearings being too tight = smoked. you need to measure total rotating torque etc.

Probably wrong but gonna through this out for thought as I had a 489 SG center in a 742 case that was never an issue with 4.56 Chrysler gears, but when going to 3.55 I got from the DR. kinda the same rub on the center when attempting to set pinion height, although lightly as the pinion was much larger. Ending up shaving the pinion head 030 to avoid sourcing a new correct Dana center. I agree if it is a 489 case and SG center this is a loose pinion.

A little confused as the OP mentions a 741.

Last edited:
This is why they make a crush sleeve eliminator for the 489 case.
I have several sure grips, which have the same marks.
People not knowing how to set them up correctly.

-
Back