What color block? What kinds of paint?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
Something different,

What color do you like to paint your blocks? I think my next ones gonna be black.

Also what paints? I usually use high heat from the parts house, one shot thats it. But I have seen some of those nice paint jobs that probably used the hi tech setups and they do look really nice.

One problem with black is it makes leaks harder to find. I'm a purist, like the factory colors.

What color is your engine bay going to be/ already is?

Then find a nice color that contrasts that.

My bay is going to be a medium metallic blue, so I will paint my engine orange.

If it is a new rebuild or an old engine, I suggest washing and scrubbing the engine with strong soapy water until there is zero trace of grease or oil and rinsing it down w water, followed by "metal prep wash", let dry completely, then epoxy primer, then your color.

Eastwood makes a variety of engine colors and also a metal prep wash:

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/hi-temp-engine-paints/engine-paints.html

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-afterblast.html

I do like Chrysler red. Painted a 360 in a B5 car that color, once. Looks sharp in some engine compartments.

My favorite color has to be the Chrysler turquoise from the '60's. It's not the most aggressive color, but it looks very industrial. Sort of has the same feel as a hammer tone appliance. You just don't see things painted that color, anymore.

My '68 Charger is getting an engine that would have either gone red or black, but I'm going to paint it this color.

440paint004.jpg

361875649.jpg

Red, Blue, Orange.

Attachments

• GTS22.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 831
my 360 is shot cheby orange lol one day will get a hemi orange repaint

I like factory correct for the particular year and have had good luck using Mopar engine paint..

What yr is the car and what color is the engine bay ?

From the looks of the engine color, placement and type of the washer bottle, I think that is a 1968.

So the color would come from that chart. There weren't too many to choose from in the dark reds, so my guess is going to be RR-1 Burgundy Poly.

attachment.php

Edit: that second car image is a bit on the large.

This thread covers the color well with some really nice examples. One photo of a color example usually sucks on computer monitors and can't show flare of metallics, flop or contrast in different light. Check it. -

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=89229.0

That is quite the sultry color, if I do say so. I'd be tempted to do my car that color, if it weren't already the harder to find KK-1 that is my fave anyway.

I wanted to paint mine body color but I figured it had to be engine paint to deal with the heat. So I opted for Orange.

Something different,

What color do you like to paint your blocks? I think my next ones gonna be black.

Also what paints? I usually use high heat from the parts house, one shot thats it. But I have seen some of those nice paint jobs that probably used the hi tech setups and they do look really nice.

If its not a numbers matching show car you should paint it the color that makes it look good in your engine compartment! My 68 dart is going to be factory red and the engine may end up BLACK not orange! and a FYI, I painted my 440 in my Demon RED and it looks great in the BLACK engine compartment

I wish i would have gone with black.I wanted to do the block black and compliment it with polished aluminum. I let myself get talked out of it and went with Hemi Orange.:banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• 20130504_125022.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 829
Fluorescent freakin orange! Lol ca you see it now?! In all seriousness, id paint aluminum silver, but that's coming from someone that can't afford the real deal

I do like Chrysler red. Painted a 360 in a B5 car that color, once. Looks sharp in some engine compartments.

My favorite color has to be the Chrysler turquoise from the '60's. It's not the most aggressive color, but it looks very industrial. Sort of has the same feel as a hammer tone appliance. You just don't see things painted that color, anymore.

My '68 Charger is getting an engine that would have either gone red or black, but I'm going to paint it this color.

Your Chrysler turquoise engine looks clean and really sharp.

Went hammer tone grey metallic,engine. Car going Sublime. Like something, a little different. Valve covers,changing to Hammer tone grey (Holley aluminums).Sorry about the fuzzy pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20120710_132946.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 769
Black would look like a Chevy motor. I like my motors to pop when the hood is open.

And the black Chevys engines look like the black Dodge engines from the early 90'a.

I use 1-Shot sign paint, last 340 I painted was an electric blue mix, brushed it on and it lasted 25 years. Any enamel will work and that's a fact, boat paint, sign paint even refrigerator paint...

Preparation is everything

I painted mine body color, with body paint. Believe it or not. It's just your average single stage urethane, Tangerine Perl. Then I crinkle blacked the valve covers (off-the-shelf stuff) brackets painted with rustoleum, and I used aluminum engine paint on the intake.

No durability issues on the motor paint, going on two years of driving it every day, though the intake's lost some paint to repeated gas spills from changing out carbs and stuff.
dartnessmotor2.jpg

P09-29-11_22.54.jpg

-
Back