What do you do to winterize your drag car?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Yes, sadly, that time of year is here, even in Texas.
Tires, oil, radiator, tranny, what all do you do to keep yours ready for next season?

I'm fortunate to be able to store my cars in a heated shop, so I don't do a whole lot.
I drain the fuel system (alchohol) & flush it with WD40.
Unbolt the the rocker shafts to unload the valve springs, after warming the engine.
Pump up the pressure on the tires.

In the spring time, I change the oil, trans & axle fluids.
Bolt the rocker shafts back on & set the valve lash.
Flush the WD40 out & run the car with a gas carb, before I switch it back to Alcohol.

Take all 4 tires off the ground, run car empty of gas, drain oil and remove all filters, post a reminder to do list on the steering wheel and tool box.

I put a tag on mine and drive it on nice days.

Take all 4 tires off the ground, run car empty of gas, drain oil and remove all filters, post a reminder to do list on the steering wheel and tool box.
Do you drain the water out of the radiator and block, or do you put some antifreeze in it or what? Does it ride out the winter in a trailer?
I was thinking about leaving mine in the trailer because it would be a lot easier to heat the trailer with a small electric heater than to try to heat my shop which is not insulated.
If I'm going to put it up on jacks I guess I need to get some plywood to put the jackstands on to keep them from making impressions into the floor.

I put antifreeze in the cooling system and cycle the water pump for a minute or two.

I pump up the tires and put the car on the lift to keep the load off of the suspension.

I fill the cell with e85 so not to give room for moisture.

I take the vent hose off of the fuel cell and screw a cap on it to keep moisture out.

I treat the e85 with Lucas ethanol lubricant/treatment.

I crank the car every one to two weeks and let it run up to 190 degrees to keep the valve springs moving and not sitting in one place for long periods of time.
when I'm done letting it run, I recharge the batteries and refill the cell.

I get started with oil changes, trans fluid, and gear oil changes about 2 weeks before the first test and tune. I also check valve lash, and flush the antifreeze out of the cooling system at this time as well.

Some may think I'm crazy for leaving the E85 in the car all winter long. However, during the season this year, I kept a close eye on my oil and checked inside the fuel bowls of the carb for any signs of moisture, gunk, or corrosion. I found none, and have come to this conclusion. E85 will give no trouble as long as you don't let it sit for weeks at a time, you treat it with a lube like the Lucas or Marvel Mystery Oil, and you get the engine up to temp before cutting it off.

I have been around Methanol cars. My racing partner runs a methanol Camaro. I know what it will do if you do not drain and flush the fuel system when the car will sit for a while. E85 is not like that at all in my opinion.

drain the e85...drain the radiator...back off the rocker shafts..

-
Back