What do you think about this statement.........

-
I’m not a machinist but I’ve always heard the mag blocks are better quality.
Has production machining equipment not gotten better and/or more accurate in the last 30 years? Serious question because In the industry I’m in, the cnc machines are light years better than they were even 10-15 years ago. I have 3 multi million dollar cnc machines (for structural steel) that are 8 years old and damn near obsolete at this point.
They are better machined from the factory, however the cylinder walls on most I've machined couldn't go over .030 which I think isn't great but wear overall is better to start with.

We are talking factory pick up truck engine here. "Factory" was mentioned in the first post. It's what this thread is about. Yes, wrong forum. I will move it.8

They are better machined from the factory, however the cylinder walls on most I've machined couldn't go over .030 which I think isn't great but wear overall is better to start with.
Thank you for posting your firsthand knowledge on the 30 over

Make my engines LA’s. Just sayin. You can’t compare wear between the two, oils have changed so much. Operating temperature has changed so much. Magnums have less internal friction, but any la engine can be built that way.

Ball stud/screw suck. Cheap *** shivvy production method. Mopar stamped steel shaft rockers are light weight and offer exceptional oiling characteristics.

The only time you run into trouble is when you run too high a lift cam and too stiff a spring to match it. Where that point is, I’m staying out of that argument.

I will say aluminum racing rockers work well on race cars that wear cycle race parts. They will eventually fail. Steel replacement rocker arms(cast) are the way to go on the street.

It’s the rings and the factory fuel injection that’s responsible.
I'd also add to the machining process, the machinist himself is where quality comes from, not the machine itself. I use machines from a generation before mine. I set the clearances, make the crosshatch. Not the machine, I'm sure a CNC machine would do better and faster but it still takes the dude to plug in those numbers.
I guess I'm trying to say it's takes someone wanting to do it correctly on any machine

Depends what you think a factory 340 makes, a stock 5.9l magnum dynos 280 hp bet the 5.2l ain't far behind so probably similar but way better under the curve at least.
Just put a 4bbl and headers on an otherwise stock 5.9 and you have 300 hp. 5.2 would be only a tad less.

By the way, not too difficult to put LA heads on a Magnum. In fact, most 5.9 magnums up to '95 will have the oil hole to the cam bearing already there for the LA head oiling. Some 5.2's as well in the early years. IF not, you can either drill the block for the LA head oiling (if a guy wants to oil the LA heads like a LA engine)

I read awhile back, probably in Mopar Action that the reason for the switch to the pedestal type rocker arms was a concession to the AMC engineers that came over when Chrysler bought AMC.

Stock for stock, you can’t blame the newer engines for having some improvements over the old design. The oil pan and valve cover sealing is absolutely superior on a Magnum.
As Mentioned, EFI, low tension rings and computer controls resulted in a longer lasting, more powerful and reliable engine. The LA series never had those so when comparing stock for stock, the Magnum wins.
You could update an LA to Magnum levels of reliability just like you could with a slant six if you wanted. They just weren’t built that way when new. I think the improvements the Magnum had compare to what Chevy and Ford did to their engines. A Vortech 350 runs longer and cleaner than a 1975 350 too. Improvements in head flow, oil sealing and EFI over there too.

I've seen a 5.9 in a Van in the local area that had 435k miles on it, long block never taken apart. Couple timing sets, water pumps, starters, but nothing internal. My 5.9 just turned 322k this week :)
I totally understand somebody preferring the LA's. I too, like the rocker shafts. But, it's just pure prejudice to say magnums aren't good engines. And the magnums have absolutely proven on the drag strip they can perform with any LA.

Last edited:
It was either Hot rod or Car Craft that took a Dakota R/T 5.9 and added a bunch of Mopar approved parts and despite spending thousands of dollars on headers and other emission legal stuff, the efforts produced very little improvements. They were limited by the computer and it’s programming.

Short Block is all I agree with.
The efi system is not that great.
The camshaft is weak weeny
The cylinder heads don't flow worth a crap and can't be ported to support real HP 550 or greater.
Chamber design okay, chamber actually junk they all crack between the seats.
They are untunable without someone else building a tune for you.
If you wanted to do a real cam swap there is 1 or 2 very expensive options for adjustable rockers.

I mean @ Brooks James posted this in the racers forum and he's talking about stock slow stuff.
There's a magnum/ small block spot just for a thread.
I believe the question I was answering was,
“What part of the magnum was superior stock???”
“The efi system is not that great.”
Somewhat true but, you get a block that has good cylinders
“The camshaft is weak weeny”
True, but did most LA come stock with much better, and provisions in the M block make roller lifters easier come cam swap time, you know you’re gonna swap cams anyway.
“The cylinder heads don't flow worth a crap and can't be ported to support real HP 550 or greater.”
Which are we talking about stock or not, I forget, but the statement did say stock.
“Chamber design okay, chamber actually junk they all crack between the seats.”
True,
“They are untunable without someone else building a tune for you.”
True, because of the EFI I suppose, but you did say stock, so I would say that there are more EFI engines running pretty good with 100K+. Back in the day someone was some kind of god if they had a car with over 100K, and they certainly didn’t have cylinders with hone marks if they did.
If you wanted to do a real cam swap there is 1 or 2 very expensive options for adjustable rockers

I believe the question I was answering was,
“What part of the magnum was superior stock???”
“The efi system is not that great.”
Somewhat true but, you get a block that has good cylinders
“The camshaft is weak weeny”
True, but did most LA come stock with much better, and provisions in the M block make roller lifters easier come cam swap time, you know you’re gonna swap cams anyway.
“The cylinder heads don't flow worth a crap and can't be ported to support real HP 550 or greater.”
Which are we talking about stock or not, I forget, but the statement did say stock.
“Chamber design okay, chamber actually junk they all crack between the seats.”
True,
“They are untunable without someone else building a tune for you.”
True, because of the EFI I suppose, but you did say stock, so I would say that there are more EFI engines running pretty good with 100K+. Back in the day someone was some kind of god if they had a car with over 100K, and they certainly didn’t have cylinders with hone marks if they did.
If you wanted to do a real cam swap there is 1 or 2 very expensive options for adjustable rockers
My reply was based on the thread it was originally and incorrectly on.
I've owned plenty of magnum powered vehicles and other la or big block vehicles.
Magnum is not impressive or in my opinion superior in stock from.

The myth that the stock ecu cannot be tuned needs to die. The JTEC ecu can be tuned multiple ways. And most notably now is HP tuners.

I'd also add to the machining process, the machinist himself is where quality comes from, not the machine itself. I use machines from a generation before mine. I set the clearances, make the crosshatch. Not the machine, I'm sure a CNC machine would do better and faster but it still takes the dude to plug in those numbers.
I guess I'm trying to say it's takes someone wanting to do it correctly on any machine
I’d bet “production” machining is no longer a guy plugging in numbers. As the machines get better they get more accurate, and need less involvement from a guy.

Anyone remember the thread where some dude wanted to bore and hone a block with a mag drill?

The myth that the stock ecu cannot be tuned needs to die. The JTEC ecu can be tuned multiple ways. And most notably now is HP tuners.
I'm not sure anyone said it can't be tuned.
Yeah there's flyin Ryan and HP but besides that unless you're a wizard you have to pay someone and rely on them to answer the phone if you run into an issue.
I guess that's okay for guys who can't be efficient with a carburetor.
Don't get me wrong the magnum is fine but really it's not superior with all of its issues that come with it. I still have a r/t Dakota and 1500 and they're just fine for what they are.

I think to answer the OP's question .... yes, the magnums can spin to 6500 with stock rockers :)

LA vs Magnum =:mob: Junk and Junkyard dog fight Gggrrrrrrrrr:elmer:Magnums!!
:lol:

It doesn’t really take a wizard. It takes some effort though. About the same amount as most people won’t invest in tuning a carburetor.

It doesn’t really take a wizard. It takes some effort though. About the same amount as most people won’t invest in tuning a carburetor.

Anybody who can turn a computer on and make it work is a wizard to me lol

Richard Holdener dynos a stock 360 with 4bbl and headers and makes 277 hp and a 5.9l with 4bbl and headers dynos 301 hp, and there is a manifold and header shootout and the 5.9l dynos as high as 327 hp.
He also dynos a 212 roller in a 5.9l for 350hp, and xe250h with a mild ported 2.02 head to the 360 for 350 hp then goes up to a xe268h for like 380hp.

And the 380 crate 5.9l dynos 400-410 hp imagine a similar cammed 360 would do high 300 hp. In stock from the magnum seem to respond a little better to a cam swaps.

I’d bet “production” machining is no longer a guy plugging in numbers. As the machines get better they get more accurate, and need less involvement from a guy.

Anyone remember the thread where some dude wanted to bore and hone a block with a mag drill?
Yeah you're probably right. I'm sure you are

I think to answer the OP's question .... yes, the magnums can spin to 6500 with stock rockers :)

LA vs Magnum =:mob: Junk and Junkyard dog fight Gggrrrrrrrrr:elmer:Magnums!!
Just not a bone stock factory delivered magnum

The chambers are not more “efficient”. The magnum uses the same timing or within a degree or two.
Interesting. I have not had similar results. My LA stuff has always liked 36-37 degrees for max power. My magnum likes 32-33. Is that enough of a difference to quantify “more efficient”, hell who knows. But it is consistent, at least in my experience.

-
Back