what do you think of this intake

-
Yea man! Those and some TQ horders! WTF?!?!

How many TQ's do you have to own, to be a TQ hoarder?
There is a guy here in So.Cal that buys about every $40 or less TQ he finds at the Fling Mopar shows. He leaves with a wagon full. I talked to him once after he sniped me on an 850.

Recent Purchase

Cost me $125 for an LD-340.

Still in the Edelbrock Cardboard Box {1974 Stock}, with the '2' Edelbrock Decals.

At a Mopar Tag Sale.

The guy was asking $160

It is far from a "Basicly stock intake" for sure.
You need glasses.
There a squarebore intake as fast so that rules out the use of a TQ without a adapter or cutting the intakes carb mounting area.

Grinding the name and numbers off of most any dual plane will pass as stock to the unconcerned eye. Love the MP.528 ref. very funny, true to. At least IMO. I agree.

I wear glasses...lol. I will admit I need to get back to the eye dr...lol But when these were "great intakes" I didn;t need glasses ;).
This is all my opinion anyway so it's not worth anything to anyone but me. When it's installed, it is very similar as long as the name's not on it. The only missing item is the choke stove. The mounting flange, while it is square bore, is shaped like the spread bore on the outside... So yeah, it has some bigger port volume, and a bigger plenum, but it's not serious advancement. It's just more of the same, minus the choke stove and the weight. Friends of mine have been running these since the 80s, which was when I go into cars. They also ran MP ignition and got in commuter cars that you had to pump the gas once before you started them to set the choke. Time & technology moves forward. It doesn't mean for it's day it sucked. But it's day was decades ago. A cool intake for sure. Nothing I'd put money into unless I had to use it.
I do maintain boxes of Thermoqauds tho...lol.

There is a guy here in So.Cal that buys about every $40 or less TQ he finds at the Fling Mopar shows. He leaves with a wagon full. I talked to him once after he sniped me on an 850.

Seriously..we threw that many in the garbage..lol...to be replaced with Holleys..

What made the LD series intakes good were the runner layouts combined with volume and very close port matching to the two different sizes for the Chrysler small block LA family engines.

They were the first of their kind to pull it off. The Weiand manifolds are just as awesome. Slightly higher overall height on them and they come in square or spread bore layouts, with multi bolt patterns on the spread bore units.

The Edelbrock intakes were closer to the original port opening rectangle dimensions than the Weiand, but on a street engine, which is what they were all designed for, you wouldn't notice the difference, unless you ran an LD340 on a 273/318 port head. You want that intakes little brother LD4B for those.

The new Performer series is a middle of the road intake. Smaller than 340/360 and larger than 273/318 and works ok on all of them, so they sell a lot of them.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your engine. Some people do not need large ports. In fact, on low end torque engine builds, opening the ports to match will only create slow spots in flow at the transition and hurt velocity.

There is a reason why Chrysler put a Direct Connection catalog part number on the LD intakes. They were designed with very close tolerances to stock runners, with better runner arrangements.

I am not a fan of the Torker intake, although the Torker II had a dead spot fix between #5 and #7. I still prefer a dual plane on a street car for smaller runner volume/ higher velocity.

These intakes would show negligible amounts of gain in real life, over an iron 4bbl LA intake on a street application. Where they shine is when they are used in conjunction with a valvetrain redo, with a snappy open/closed cam and good cylinder heads.

If I were playing with a vehicle that wanted colder air charge on an electric choke or cooler fuel, I'd toy with one, coupled with some header wrap, electric fan and a composite body carb with the exhaust blocked.

Air gaps work good for hot climate, but are almost too much for places with a lot of temperature inversion like up in Colorado. Aluminum with a closed runner to cam galley is a good balancing act for hotter combustion temps, in climates that still require some temp on the intake runner to atomize. Iron is awesome, too, but with other mods, it can become too hot in low speed conditions.

The biggest issues with these intakes is finding one that has not been chopped up. I passed on 3 of the LD4B before finding one that I could use with what I had.

When you do find one that is sound, you will pay about $280-350. There is one NOS one for nearly a grand. I remember about two years and ago, they would fetch 150-180 or so.

-
Back