What gear for burnout with 727

-
I'm not sure if you have to have a specific tire for the kind of class you race, but I've sat there and melted the tires hard and gave a great smoke show and I now I do a relatively short burnout with the same 60ft times. Hoosier 28/10.5/15's. Thats my experience and the same for a friend I race with with a much more advanced car than mine.

I run the DOT class or any of the open non-electronics. I run it on a DOT tire. Sportsman pro 28x12.50's. The pic I posted was a good burnout. I don't need more smoke. I need more consistent burnouts. I mean, I've won the day at the strip with this car. I'm being kind of critical about things but I don't win every time. And isn't that the goal? So I'm trying to be as consistent as possible.

As far as the burnout - I think it's what you said, consistency. So many other things effect consistency - air pressure, eveness of tire pressure, wind direction/speed ect....but I'm sure you know all that. I think I read where the tires are supposed to be the same temperature as the track ? That's where having an assistant with a heat gun comes in handy. That way you can find out if all that extra burnout is getting the tires to hot or not doing anything but wearing your tires out 5 times faster? I'm still new at drag racing, I only have a season of real experience. I really just go to have fun, if I win that's just a bonus....my consistency comes in loosing LOL!!!

Start burnout in 2nd, shift quickly to 3rd. You'll be getting the RPM you want without over revving the motor. I see a lot of people doing 7000rpm+ single gear burnouts with their small block Chevys at my local track, they seem to have valvetrain problems later in the season and I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with it....

-
Back