What gear for burnout with 727

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I have been doing my burnouts in 2nd gear. The reason I ask this question is I've considered doing it in 3rd. Reason being I hit the limiter so fast and then have to back off. But if I back off too far it starts to hook and pushes the car. My spotter says it actually skids the front tires.

Any of you start in 3rd gear?

Car is a 69 dart GT with a 440. 4.56 gears, GVOD and 28x12.50 sportsman pros.

Runs 1.70 shorts, 7.50's @ 660, 11.70's @1320 in 3rd gear @6200RPM. Mufflers, pump swill, DOT tires.

Attachments

• 60391970-DSC07017.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 60391971-DSC07750.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 660ft June 14th 2015.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 427
2nd is good.
But it won't hurt anything to shift it from 2nd to 3rd in the burn out.
The problem is 1st gear only & chirping the tires on the way out.
They say its ok to start in 1st & go to 2nd quickly. But I'm not going to do it.

Also, if you ever have a driveline failure in first, pull the trans to have it looked at.
Do not run it until you do that.

My line lock is on the factory shifter. I'm not sure if I can shift to 3rd and keep the line lock on. I'll have to try.

My line lock is on the factory shifter. I'm not sure if I can shift to 3rd and keep the line lock on. I'll have to try.

I can shift mine while holding the linelock button. Although I run a Cheetah, but yours should work as long as you don't let go of the button.

What do you do if your valve body is forward shift not a reverse valve body.I you take off in
2nd with a forward shift it takes off in 1st then shifts to 2nd

I can shift mine while holding the linelock button. Although I run a Cheetah, but yours should work as long as you don't let go of the button.

That's the trick. Not letting go. I have a RPVB but with the stock console floor shifter. Pushing the button to shift while holding the line lock is tricky.

That's the trick. Not letting go. I have a RPVB but with the stock console floor shifter. Pushing the button to shift while holding the line lock is tricky.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted, it may very well be tricky, lol. Maybe you could come up with some sort of button to velcro on the shifter button so you could push the button down with the palm of your hand while still being able to hold the line lock.

Do you think it would snap the tires loose and burn them starting in 3rd?

I just don't' want to try to do it and damage something trying.

I had a Mr. Gasket shifter with the button on the side just under the T-handle, 440/727 std pattern with 4.88's, 14x32's, I used to just go on it, start in first and shift through to 2nd/3rd almost in 1 go, revs used to settle on 5000 held to that till enough....

Since you have got the GV, why not use it? 2nd-Over is 1.13 ratio. I got rid of that truck shifter that came with my GV in favor of a relay and a Push-ON/Push-OFF microswitch. In fact, I shelved their computer too. It was too slooow shifting. You need to wire an interlock tho to prevent engagement in reverse. That's almost instant destruction to the GV. It only survives that a couple of times and only if you were gentle to it.
Without the computer, shifting is instant.INSTANT.
I use mine as a splitter behind a 4 speed. About 430 to 450 hp.

OK the computer wasn't that much slower...

Another idea might be to convert the line-loc to, push On/push OFF. I guess you'd need an ON-indicator light. I used a 12v LED,under my tach, where the GVOD-ON lite is as well. One is red One is green. But I guess you got lotsa lites already

That car really looks badass. I like it.

Burnout in 2nd or 2nd-3rd.

since we're on the subject, what if you don't have a aftermarket valve body in there?
like downsr mentioned, even if I'm in drive or 2nd, it will still take off in first, no?

Just put your line lock on a toggle switch. That is how I got mine. I have it hooked to a toggle switch mounted on the dash.

I've been starting my burnout in 1st gear for 20 years now in our race truck... bring it to 5k then shift to 2nd then hold at 5500 until done... never had an issue.

Here's an idea. We have both the truck and my dart set up like this. I have my line lock on a toggle switch. Set brakes, toggle on, start, shift, then just flick the toggle off and burn out of the box. Never have to worry about the button slipping out from under my finger.

^^^ Damn... tree'd me by that much... story of my life...lol.

Since you have got the GV, why not use it? 2nd-Over is 1.13 ratio. I got rid of that truck shifter that came with my GV in favor of a relay and a Push-ON/Push-OFF microswitch. In fact, I shelved their computer too. It was too slooow shifting. You need to wire an interlock tho to prevent engagement in reverse. That's almost instant destruction to the GV. It only survives that a couple of times and only if you were gentle to it.
Without the computer, shifting is instant.INSTANT.
I use mine as a splitter behind a 4 speed. About 430 to 450 hp.

OK the computer wasn't that much slower...

Another idea might be to convert the line-loc to, push On/push OFF. I guess you'd need an ON-indicator light. I used a 12v LED,under my tach, where the GVOD-ON lite is as well. One is red One is green. But I guess you got lotsa lites already

The GV is meant to shift like a auto, only if you have it in over and do your burn out. The GV pump will have to pump up before it will shift in.

Why not just start in 2nt and then shift the GV into over. Just have to turn the GV back off before you launch! LOL

I've been starting my burnout in 1st gear for 20 years now in our race truck... bring it to 5k then shift to 2nd then hold at 5500 until done... never had an issue.

Here's an idea. We have both the truck and my dart set up like this. I have my line lock on a toggle switch. Set brakes, toggle on, start, shift, then just flick the toggle off and burn out of the box. Never have to worry about the button slipping out from under my finger.

^^^ Damn... tree'd me by that much... story of my life...lol.

Oh My God...I am surprised you are not dead yet...starting a burnout in 1st gear with a 727...should have blown your roof off your car.....starting is 1st gear does not hurt a 727...coming out of the water in 1st gear with the shock on the tires grabbing is what kills them....for upteen years with a 727....did the same....

but now I am sophisticated and use a 904............

The GV is meant to shift like a auto, only if you have it in over and do your burn out. The GV pump will have to pump up before it will shift in.

I don't understand what this means.
As soon as the driveshaft has spun a few revolutions, the GV has enough pressure to pull a shift. So if starting in second, the GV will have almost instant pressure.Certainly before you hit redline. It may already have enough pressure, just from advancing into the burn-out box.
And it can/will retain it's in-gear status through an entire stoplight change.I drive the snot outta that thing.
It only requires care when downshifting. At this time GV says not to be putting power through it. No problem in dragracing, right.
Mines over 10 years old. I had to rebuild it once, due to leaving it engaged while reversing. GV would not sell me the tools to safely take it apart,myself.

"Why not just start in 2nt and then shift the GV into over. Just have to turn the GV back off before you launch! LOL" .............This part I understand. Yeah, turn it off, before backing up! That's why I recommended the reverse interlock.

I use it as a splitter, between gears, in my 833. It brings my shift-rpm down, between 200 and 300: and allows my little 367 to stay on a tight powerband, of 1400rpm, versus nearly 2000 required without it.This puts down more average horsepower during a run,and in terms of trapping MPH, I believe it's worth at the minimum, one cam size.
Alrighty enough BS.

I've always started in first, then shift to 2nd, and as the tires start to grab, floor it and go into 3rd, and let it pull the motor down as I lift.
Burnouts in first do not cause instant death, or rip the spacetime continuum, or destroy the transmission. What you risk is hurting the sprag. That happens when the driver lifts with the tires spinning in first and the tires are going faster than the engine. Basically, if you floor it you're fine. You just can't let off before you go up into 2nd. If the rear brakes or driveshaft lets go or the trans breaks, the same issue can roll over and damage the sprag. After than, it loses the ability to act as the holder for the geartrain. Then the front clutch drum is enabled to spin at 200%+ of engine rpm. The factory drum explodes anywhere over 8K, which can happen at an engine rpm of only 3500.

If you can, turn the tires over in the water, then pull forward out of it and do your burnout. finish in 2nd or third. I'd say if the tires are pushing the car and sliding the front tires - your tires are ready to go.

Oh My God...I am surprised you are not dead yet...starting a burnout in 1st gear with a 727...should have blown your roof off your car.....starting is 1st gear does not hurt a 727...coming out of the water in 1st gear with the shock on the tires grabbing is what kills them....for upteen years with a 727....did the same....

but now I am sophisticated and use a 904............

Exactly. But no matter how many times it gets said from me, it always gets ignored. So, I just throw smart comments out. They get the same amount of attention and take less brain power.

I'm not sure if you have to have a specific tire for the kind of class you race, but I've sat there and melted the tires hard and gave a great smoke show and I now I do a relatively short burnout with the same 60ft times. Hoosier 28/10.5/15's. Thats my experience and the same for a friend I race with with a much more advanced car than mine.

I'm not sure if you have to have a specific tire for the kind of class you race, but I've sat there and melted the tires hard and gave a great smoke show and I now I do a relatively short burnout with the same 60ft times. Hoosier 28/10.5/15's. Thats my experience and the same for a friend I race with with a much more advanced car than mine.

Most of the new slicks dont need a big smokey burnout....clean the off...get a little smoke and go

-
Back