What Home Depot insulation have you used under your carpet?

-

340doc

Reaction score
Stripped the interior out of my sons Dart to replace the headliner and would like to pull the carpet at this time to lay down some insulation. I've heard some people using something from Home Depot. Anyone know?

What dgibby said....

100_0268.JPG

100_0267.JPG

Is this that tar backed or sticky backed commercial roofing seam sealer?

The insulation that's mostly air with foil on the outside won't do anything to prevent sound, it's thermal insulation.

If you want to quiet down the car you want dense foam type insulation. The kind I got has foil on 1 side.

The kind linked in this thread is just pure thermal insulation, the description doesn't even mention noise. I guess if you're afraid of heat/cold going through the floorboards it would be useful, but other than that it's not doing anything for you. The main concern should be sound, in which that insulation won't help at all.

What do you recommend for sound as well as heat protection

The sicky-backed sound deadener seem to be the best way to go. I know GTMAT and Dynamat make those, but there's several others. Search "sound deadener for car". If you don't want the sticky-backed kind you can get the dense foam/fiber kind where usually 1 or 2 sides has a layer of foil.

I need to finish welding one floor pan and paint the interior so I can get started on the exterior and begin the reassembly. Thanks for the advice

I'm laying down a layer of GTMAT first, then a layer of thermal reflective insulation which also has some some deadner sandwiched in there. Then on the underside of the car, that is ready to get a couple of coats of the Lizard Skin Ceramic sound deadner/thermal insulator...
Hoping for a nice cool ride and easy on the ears, until I hammer on it.

What helps insulate for noise is called dynamat I believe ?
Lots of car stereo guys back in the day used it .
I'm sure there are others like it ?

I just looked both summit and Jegs have dynamat .
Google is a great tool !!
I'm sure others carry it as well.

Fat Mat is about the cheapest and it comes on a roll thats 2' wide, so it covers large areas quickly. I used the next step up in their line called Rattle Trap. Ive used it on two cars and it works awesome for noise and some thermal heat reduction. On my A/C car I also used HD thermal barrier over the top of the fat mat. Keeps the heat out and the cool in!

FatMat 50 SqFt No Logo Sound Dampening For Cars & Trucks! Free Dynamat Sample | eBay

100_5044.jpg

The insulation that's mostly air with foil on the outside won't do anything to prevent sound, it's thermal insulation.

If you want to quiet down the car you want dense foam type insulation. The kind I got has foil on 1 side.

The kind linked in this thread is just pure thermal insulation, the description doesn't even mention noise. I guess if you're afraid of heat/cold going through the floorboards it would be useful, but other than that it's not doing anything for you. The main concern should be sound, in which that insulation won't help at all.

Honestly didn't even consider that..All that work for nothing ?

Peel & Seal from Lowes. I did a blown Camaro with it and when the windows are up I can barely hear the motor! That car idles at 97db with the windows down. Using it on the Duster now.

Peel & Seal from Lowes. I did a blown Camaro with it and when the windows are up I can barely hear the motor! That car idles at 97db with the windows down. Using it on the Duster now.
I'll check that out too

Have you had yours on the road yet? I'm now a little concerned about actual sound deadening capabilities of this stuff.
I only did the headliner area and the floor back to the rear seat. Really dont know if it makes a difference to be honest. No a/c, windows are down most the time, loud exhaust and if the windows are up there is wind noise no matter how many hours spent adjusting window gaps and door seals etc..
If you did your roof and the headliner isnt in yet make sure it is glued good. Mine sat a bit before I had the headliner installed and it wouldn't stay up. Would have been laying on the headliner and bows... Ended up having they guy that did my vinyl top and headliner use whatever glue they use and its been fine for 3 years now.

So after visiting my local Home Depot with pictures and sku numbers in hand I discovered that they didn't carry what I wanted. I was told a lot of items are region specific and it could be ordered. Being on a time constraint I just went home and ordered some with two day shipping. My thanks to all who replied and the info. Doc

-
Back