What intake for 440?

-

mopower440

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a good intake for my 1972 dart swinger with 440. I always read that the performer RPM was about the best one, BUT is too tall to clear the hood on a RB block in a dart without a hole cut in the hood, which i wont do.. SO, whats the NEXT best intake for a 440 that will fit under the hood of my 440 dart?

Holley Street Dominator good low RPM alway to 6K
20170216_221828.jpg

All depends on your horsepower... all depends on your gearing..all depends on your converter!!

I am wanting this thing to scream in the 1/4. Its a street car but want it quick in 1/4

Street Dominator is awesome for mild 440 builds, and I got mine to fit under a flat hood with a Holley dp and 14 x 3 air cleaner. Used this GM air cleaner base:

ihx.jpg

ihy.jpg

Pic from old '67 Barracuda 25 years ago - 11 second car, pump gas, flat hood

(yeah I know it's rough, didn't care back then)

ihz.jpg

Last edited:
Street Dominator is awesome for mild 440 builds, and I got mine to fit under a flat hood with a Holley dp and 14 x 3 air cleaner. Used this GM air cleaner base:

View attachment 1715046421

View attachment 1715046422

Pic from old '67 Barracuda 25 years ago - 11 second car, pump gas, flat hood

(yeah I know it's rough, didn't care back then)

View attachment 1715046424
the torque 2 is shorter than the rpm. if ur motor size is close to stock as far as head flow goes, it will work fine for a little higher rpm than the rpm manifold. If ur running big head flow, the torquer`s 4 corner runners need to be opened up, they don`t flow as good as the center four. I had to go to a six pack scoop even at that. I also run a drop base air cleaner bottom w/ a 3 1/2 filter, it clears the bottom of the scoop about a 1/4-3/8". check it out before u buy anything .

The Torker II should work okay. In our tests on a mild street 496 it would make 600+ lb-ft over a 2,000 rpm range, 620 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm and 638 hp @ 5,900 rpm. Of course the RPM intake was making some 30+ lb-ft of torque more at the lower rpms and only 12 hp less at 5,900 rpm.

Last edited:
The Torker II should work okay. In our tests on a mild street 496 it would make 600+ lb-ft over a 2,000 rpm range, 620 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm and 638 hp @ 5,900 rpm. Of course the RPM intake was making some 30+ lb-ft of torque more at the lower rpms and only 12 hp less at 5,900 rpm.
what are the specifics on that engine? interested in comparisons. thanks bob

wonder whats the better one, the torker 2 or street dominator?

wonder whats the better one, the torker 2 or street dominator?
go to hughs website, and look up their intake flow comparisons. the street dominator aint as good as people think. if u got big flowing heads, it`s a cork. the torque 2 is even a cork for my heads, but it`s all I got room for--for now!

go to hughs website, and look up their intake flow comparisons. the street dominator aint as good as people think. if u got big flowing heads, it`s a cork. the torque 2 is even a cork for my heads, but it`s all I got room for--for now!
Damn, was getting excited.. I have stock heads now but plan on getting edelbrocks or something much better..

What intake do you recommend then?

what are the specifics on that engine? interested in comparisons. thanks bob
'69 440 block +.040
ProGram 4-boly (boly? bolt!) mains
Melling HV pump
4.15 Eagle Crank
6.76 Eagle Rods
Diamond dished
10.3 compresson
Lunati 60333 solid roller
PRW 1.5 stainless rockers
Hughes studs and rocker shaft hold downs
RPM heads 292 cfm @ .500", 309 @ .600", 321 @ .700"
Edelbrock Torker II
950 cfm Quick Fuel Q950
91 octane

Back to back to back to back tests...............

Torker II.......................................................620 TQ/638 HP
Torker II & 2" Spacer....................................634 TQ/650 HP
Edelbrock RPM.............................................640 TQ/627 HP
Ported RPM.................................................639 TQ/640 HP
Edelbrock Victor w/gasket match.................615 TQ/637 HP
Victor w/plenum blend.................................620 TQ/647 HP
Victor w/plenum blend & 2" spacer...............624 TQ/654 HP
Victor w/ported plenum...............................617 TQ/647 HP
Victor w/ported plenum & 2" spacer.............629 TQ/656 HP

Oh yeah, peak horsepower..........all at 5,700-5,900 rpm.

Of course these are only peak to peak results. The real story is how they performed throughout the rpm range.

Last edited:
Well....that makes me glad I went Victor....lol

(That's the one that best matched my cam)

'69 440 block +.040
ProGram 4-boly (boly? bolt!) mains
Melling HV pump
4.15 Eagle Crank
6.76 Eagle Rods
Diamond dished
10.3 compresson
Lunati 60333 solid roller
PRW 1.5 stainless rockers
Hughes studs and rocker shaft hold downs
RPM heads 292 cfm @ .500", 309 @ .600", 321 @ .700"
Edelbrock Torker II
950 cfm Quick Fuel Q950
91 octane

Back to back to back to back tests...............

Torker II.......................................................620 TQ/638 HP

Of course these are only peak to peak results. The real story is how they performed throughout the rpm range.
Now there is some info !! Four stars !**** thanks .

So, the torker 2 will fit under the hood of a 440 dart? ALSO, I have a chance to buy a nicely ported REGULAR torker intake..whats the difference between the regular Torker and Torker 2? ALso have a chance to get the rpm but as far as I know it wont fit without cutting a hole in the hood, is that correct?

So, the torker 2 will fit under the hood of a 440 dart? ALSO, I have a chance to buy a nicely ported REGULAR torker intake..whats the difference between the regular Torker and Torker 2? ALso have a chance to get the rpm but as far as I know it wont fit without cutting a hole in the hood, is that correct?
----------------------
To be truthful, I don't think any performance intake will clear w/ a filter on it, ( it wont in my 68 fastback). A reg. older torquer has straighter runners, w/ more of an angle where it meets the head, not good but it`s not that much diff. in flow than a torquer 2. I had a new victor, and sold it on here "cheap", I just didn`t want to put a huge tall scoop on it to cover the filter. I have a dropped base air cleaner base as well. If the member above that got something under the stock hood will get back in here, you probly ought to rattle his chain a little lol

'69 440 block +.040
ProGram 4-boly (boly? bolt!) mains--------------------------------------------------STUD GIRDE
Melling HV pump---------------------------------------------------------------------=SAME
4.15 Eagle Crank---------------------------------------------------------------------4.250 SCAT
6.76 Eagle Rods-----------------------------------------------------------------------7.1 EAGLE AP 2000 BOLTS
Diamond dished 10.3ompresson-----------------------------------------------------SAME COMP.
Lunati 60333 solid roller--------------------------------------------------------------COMPCAMS 292 EXTREME SOLID ROLLER
PRW 1.5 stainless rockers and hughs rocker shaft hold downs---------------------HUGHS 1/6 ROLLER ROCKERS AND SHAFTS
RPM heads 292 cfm @ .500", 309 @ .600", 321 @ .700"---------------------------VICTOR KNOCK OFFS [email protected]
Edelbrock Torker II--------------------------------------------------------------------SAME , OPENED UP CORNER RUNNERS
950 cfm Quick Fuel -------------------------------------------------------------------FAST 2.0-1200 CFM THROTTLE BODY--Q950 back to back to back to back tests...............

Torker II.......................................................620 TQ/638 HP------------------ALL UNKNOWN

MAKE A GUESS . ANYONE >

----------------------
To be truthful, I don't think any performance intake will clear w/ a filter on it, ( it wont in my 68 fastback). A reg. older torquer has straighter runners, w/ more of an angle where it meets the head, not good but it`s not that much diff. in flow than a torquer 2. I had a new victor, and sold it on here "cheap", I just didn`t want to put a huge tall scoop on it to cover the filter. I have a dropped base air cleaner base as well. If the member above that got something under the stock hood will get back in here, you probly ought to rattle his chain a little lol

I just posted a pic of my 440 with Holley SD intake, Holley 850 dp carb, and 14 x 4 (I wasn't remembering correctly, I had a 4" element as you can see in the pic) filter that fit under the flat hood of my Barracuda, and I explained what I used to achieve it. I also ran a nitrous plate under the carb for a time and it still closed fine. Torker II is similar height and would work with that base as well. The GM drop base is lower than the typical aftermarket drop base, so the fact that it didn't work for you doesn't prove anything

Last edited:
I just posted a pic of my 440 with Holley SD intake, Holley 850 dp carb, and 14 x 3 filter that fit under the flat hood of my Barracuda, and I explained what I used to achieve it. I also ran a nitrous plate under the carb for a time and it still closed fine. Torker II is similar height and would work with that base as well. The GM drop base is lower than the typical aftermarket drop base.
iM TRYING TO LOCATE THAT BASE PLATE. I WORK IN PARTS AT A gm DEALER AND ITS NOT OUT THERE ANYMORE..

Don't cut your hood - get a GM air cleaner base part # 6422188. Been there, done that 25 years ago.

iM TRYING TO LOCATE THAT BASE PLATE. I WORK IN PARTS AT A gm DEALER AND ITS NOT OUT THERE ANYMORE..

Search for base for 1970 Corvette LT1 350/360hp, or any 396/375hp car. Several GM cars with a dual feed Holley had that base, and it is contoured to be Holley carb specific.

Last edited:
I just posted a pic of my 440 with Holley SD intake, Holley 850 dp carb, and 14 x 4 (I wasn't remembering correctly, I had a 4" element as you can see in the pic) filter that fit under the flat hood of my Barracuda, and I explained what I used to achieve it. I also ran a nitrous plate under the carb for a time and it still closed fine. Torker II is similar height and would work with that base as well. The GM drop base is lower than the typical aftermarket drop base, so the fact that it didn't work for you doesn't prove anything
I have to run an offset lowered base plate, anything lower wont work on mine ! I have proved it on my set up ! I did see the pics of yours tho. You don't have as much under the hood as I have , so ur pic really didn`t help me at all. It may the orig. poster .

-
Back