What is size of the fittings on our old 1/4 " lines?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Correction to my title. I in fact have 1/4 brake line , not 3/16. Now I think after it hits the distribution block, they turn into 3/16 lines.Getting set to do the drum to disc swap, including new MC, prop valve to rear etc... I am trying to find the right adapters for me to connect new stuff to the old brake lines. Does anyone know the size of the fitting on the line that screws into the old MC? It looks like the line screws into a fitting that screws into the MC. Same at the old proportioning valve. I want a fitting that allows me to connect the new dual MC, to the existing 1/4 line. I;ve read that it might be 7/16x24? But that seems too big? What is the normal fitting for the 1/4 brake lines in the 66 dart with 9 in drums. Also checked manual and no mention. Thanks
I do know that the new MC has 9/16x20 and a 1/2x20 outs. And I am going to run a new line that will have 3/8x24 fittings from new MC to old proportioning valve.

Last edited:
Master cylinder nuts "generally" over the years are not necessarily standard SAE flare sizes. The "standard" sizes for the size of tubing is such as the made up ones you buy at the parts stores

Things like some newer distro blocks and prop valves and masters are purposely off sizes so the lines cannot be installed incorrectly. Years ago when you could buy hydraulic operated trailer brake controllers, l you could buy various adapters and tees to fit them. Seems to me GM was really "bad" about off-sized threads and weird thread pitches.

Most Mopar uses larger nuts that are usually still flare nut threads, it's just that it's a thread that would normally be used on a larger line if the nut through-hole was the larger size.

Google "Edelman catalog" or "flare nut specifications" you will find several pdf to download

Here is just one

http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/Parts/images/ParkerFittings.pdf

-
Back