What Mopar steering wheels fit a 64 Dart. Pics please

-

Eworth

Reaction score
My cracked and boring stock steering wheel on my 64 Dart needs to be replaced but I don't want to buy new. Any cool original Mopar steering wheels from other Mopars a direct fit? Would like something more flashy. Chrome horn rings and such.

What years and Mopar models will fit the 64 Dart?
I'd love to see pics!

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Woodgrain wheel

Attachments

• 100_4680.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 166
Most all older Mopar wheels will work as long as you have the right adapter. Tuff wheels are cool too.

Attachments

• 5217358-73340DartSport012_640x480.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 159
I like the woodgrain but those seem to be in high demand. As far as adapters go, how would a fellow know what adapters are available? Tuff wheel is Tuff but I'm looking for something classy and period correct. Again, chrome and full or half horn ring would be way cool.

The simulated woodgrain wheel is a nice one especially with manual steering. Be patient. I bought mine from a member here at the Nats for $100 a few years back.

Those wood grain steering wheels need no adapters; they bolt right onto your steering column. According to my records, something like 16000 65 Darts were equipped with them (which I believe was the first year they were offered). Probably there were similar number of Valiants/Barracudas as well. They were also offered on the 66 models as well as 66 Chargers (unknown if they were offered on other 66 B Bodies). The issue is finding one that's not cracked - they fetch a premium price. Even ones that have cracks seem to run around $100, and that's without the horn button and horn button adapter. The other issue is the pot metal cover on the spokes tend to pit. I bought a couple of those wheels with cracks in them thinking I would have lots of time to repair and restore them since I retired - ha! Less time now than before I retired.

Those wood grain steering wheels need no adapters; they bolt right onto your steering column. According to my records, something like 16000 65 Darts were equipped with them (which I believe was the first year they were offered). Probably there were similar number of Valiants/Barracudas as well. They were also offered on the 66 models as well as 66 Chargers (unknown if they were offered on other 66 B Bodies). The issue is finding one that's not cracked - they fetch a premium price. Even ones that have cracks seem to run around $100, and that's without the horn button and horn button adapter. The other issue is the pot metal cover on the spokes tend to pit. I bought a couple of those wheels with cracks in them thinking I would have lots of time to repair and restore them since I retired - ha! Less time now than before I retired.
where can you get one of the wood grain wheels restored? Very little of the grain left on mine and pot metal on spokes needs re-plating.

I pulled a steering wheel from ~1990 Dodge motorhome at PickNPull because it looked nice. Bolted right up to my 65 Dart. But I think I should shave the turn signal rod shorter on the bottom since it makes a clicking sound on the switch (still works). It also sticks out ~1" farther, which some short people might like.

Spline wise, Nearly all mopar steering wheels are interchangeable from the mid/late 50's to the early 90's (and perhaps beyond into the airbag era). However, in 1970 when the steering columns were increased in diameter to accommodate a column mounted ignition switch the diameter at the base of the steering wheels was enlarged to match. You can still use these wheels but you may have funkiness with the turn signal switch cancelling mechanism. Also, many AMC cars from the mid 60's to late 70's have the same column spline as well. (there may be other years that work but these are the only ones I've tried personally) The color keyed AMC sport wheel can sometimes be had inexpensively. However the turn signal cancelling mechanism won't work but can be modified so they will work. Whatever you buy, try to find a complete of one as possible since often the horn buttons (for Mopar Woodgrain and AMC sport wheels) are often sold for as much as the bare wheels themselves. And there are always universal types like Grant, Momo, Nardi, Mooneyes, etc.. In these cases try to buy complete with adapter if possible due to costs of adapters by themselves.

-
Back